Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2011, 02:16 PM   #11
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Stainless steel or BPA-free sippy cups?

also love KKs. We have two for our DS and it's just the right number for him, one to drink, one to wash.

I worry about what these 'BPA free' plastics are made of. Might be free of BPA but what are they NOT free of? :S

Advertisement

Old 05-17-2011, 08:27 PM   #12
ecocentric
Registered Users
seller

I wanted all plastic free- including the part you drink through! I found Pura brand. I have the kiki and it is working great for us.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

KK has a grolsch style in the works with a silicone seal that I am waiting to get for myself and they are now offering one thats metal and bamboo- no plastic.
ecocentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:09 PM   #13
lookatreestar
Registered Users

i vote the foogo by thermos, but my kids never liked sippy cups. straw cups and they are so insulated it keeps everything cold!

lookatreestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #14
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

We have been using the KK sippies for years now and like them really well. Ours do leak, though, not badly and not every time. I have used them with the avent nipples and soft white tops as well as the greens and the spout top and cap loop top. I love the way all our sizes have interchangable tops.

Last edited by Prettylocks; 05-17-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Prettylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #15
zacifer
Registered Users

My Mood:

I agree with a lot of Mama's on here....we did the KKs b/c who knows what harmful chemical they'll find next in plastic. Plus, stainless steel can be recycled at 100%, which plastics can't (so I'm told.....meaning you recycle plastic but not the whole product is actually recyclable like stainless steel). We have had leaks, but normally if I make sure that the green sippy top is pushed really hard up into the screw top ring, there's no leaks. My older kids use KK with sport bottle tops. I like KK b/c I'd like to not even have them sucking on the plastic sport bottle tops BUT, when they're old enough, we'll get their KKs the screw on top so that them they're just drinking with their mouths on the stainless steel rims. I like that the KK grow with them. They are pricey, but each of our kids has just one and that's all we need. And since they grwo with them, its worth the cost. Though I bought mine with consignment credit (our consignment shop has a new product area) so technically I scored them for free! My husband and I also use them.
zacifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #16
swedishmaiden
Registered Users
seller

DD uses a KK as well and it hasn't leaked for us. It has the hard plastic spout. She also had a Foogo sippy cup earlier on, but the KK feels higher quality to me.
swedishmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #17
WooKid
Registered Users

My Mood:

We are Klean Kanteen users here in our household, too.

Here are my reasons why:
-- IMHO, Stainless Steel is much safer than any plastic options out there.
-- Water just tastes SO MUCH BETTER out of Stainless Steel, compared to plastic!!
-- SS cleans up so nicely. My neighbor used plastic sippy cups, and I always felt like her cups didn't get squeaky-clean the way our KK's did. The plastic gradually "wore down" over time, and it made me wonder, where is that plastic residue going? In my kid's drink?
-- KK bottles are an investment. Once you purchase them, they last FOREVER. You can always buy new top attachments. We used the Avent spout only briefly, as we were able to transition our Kiddo to the normal "sport cap" top pretty quickly. Those same KK's are now used daily in kids' lunch boxes. LOVE IT! Not only good for the earth, but a wise investment for my pocketbook too!
WooKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #18
eapoosmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

stainless.
even though they removed some of the bpa's in our drinking plastics they replaced them with unregulated plastizers. I don't trust our government and our plastics anylonger. I would do stainless or glass when possible or fitting.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:25 AM   #19
unfadingcolors
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecocentric View Post
I wanted all plastic free- including the part you drink through! I found Pura brand. I have the kiki and it is working great for us.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

KK has a grolsch style in the works with a silicone seal that I am waiting to get for myself and they are now offering one thats metal and bamboo- no plastic.
Those look so nice!! If I have another baby, those will be the bottles I buy for sure. I don't want to deal with glass again.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:56 PM   #20
poopstermomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Love our KK and Oggi (seem exactly the same to me). The colored ones get scraped and look less nice after a while, but I am seriously happy with these.
poopstermomma is offline   Reply With Quote