Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #11
MelDM
Registered Users
Formerly: newmom
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalazimbala
I might look into the seaband thing, if I can find them here locally.

For those concerned with his safety, I know he's much safer RF but I also know we are statistically less likely to be in an accident on a road trip than driving around town at home. We would not be permanently turning him...it would just be for the trip. We did this w/ DD when she was around the same age on vacation (we were in someone else's car and the seat didn't fit RF).

What is gravol?
Gravol is an anti nausea medication I know a lot of moms are not comfortable with giving meds, but a one (or 2) time thing won't hurt him. JMO

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Mama to 3! Brooke (4), Katie (3) and our newest addition, Ryan born 3/5/2011!
MelDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #12
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Re: WWYD long car ride question...

My 2nd child screamed bloody murder in her car seat rear facing. We turned her when she was a year old (over 20 lbs, and this was 8 years ago and I'd never heard of extended rf...before anyone goes there) and she still screamed. As she got older and more verbal, she was able to let us know she didn't feel good in the car. So yeah, rf and ff doesn't make a difference for her. We live in a hilly area and after 20-30 minutes in the car, she will throw up. We've tried sea bands with no luck.

What we did was travel at night so she would sleep for most of the trip. I know it's not ideal and really difficult, but it worked for us. Otherwise, I'd do anti-nausea meds.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #13
MamandÉlise&Muriel
Registered Users
Formerly: Mamandelise
seller

Gravol is like dramamine but works better. I don't think it's available in the US, sadly.
MamandÉlise&Muriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:06 PM   #14
MelDM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamandelise
Gravol is like dramamine but works better. I don't think it's available in the US, sadly.
Oh wow. I didn't realize that. It is a great medication for nausea.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #15
MelDM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamandelise
After looking it up gravol and Dramamine are one in the same. They are both dimenhydrinate just different brand names.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #16
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalazimbala View Post

For those concerned with his safety, I know he's much safer RF but I also know we are statistically less likely to be in an accident on a road trip than driving around town at home. We would not be permanently turning him...it would just be for the trip. We did this w/ DD when she was around the same age on vacation (we were in someone else's car and the seat didn't fit RF).
For that long of a trip you will be driving through towns and on roads that you are not very familiar with. You may be doing a lot of highway driving. IMO, a wreck is more likely in that kind of situation. And if something happens on the hw, it could be worse! I understand that a sick kid in the car is no fun, but I would exhaust every other option first and still may not ff for a long car ride. Plus, there is always the chance he will be sick ff too Just my , not trying to step on toes.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:48 PM   #17
sara_m
Registered Users

I have a handful of friends with carsickness-prone kids that did benefit from going FF. Obviously, RF is the best for as long as you can do it, but if it helped your LO feel significantly better, the risk might be worth it. I know how miserable I feel turning around for even a few seconds in the car, so I empathise!
sara_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:01 PM   #18
nalazimbala
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabarnes View Post
For that long of a trip you will be driving through towns and on roads that you are not very familiar with. You may be doing a lot of highway driving. IMO, a wreck is more likely in that kind of situation. And if something happens on the hw, it could be worse! I understand that a sick kid in the car is no fun, but I would exhaust every other option first and still may not ff for a long car ride. Plus, there is always the chance he will be sick ff too Just my , not trying to step on toes.
No toes being stepped on here. I've been a big RFing proponent and have had to explain to friends why on earth I had my DD RF when she was 3. But it can also really freak you out to hear your kid choking on vomit while you're driving. And that's one thing that is worse b/c he's RF...since he's slightly reclined, when he does vomit it can go down his trachea rather than just coming out on his clothes/lap.

I don't know if we'll try turning or not. I checked at wags for seabands but they only had the ones for adults. I did realize we still have some anti-nausea meds that the dr gave us the last time he was sick throwing up all day.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:20 PM   #19
twogirlsmama
Registered Users
seller

Benadryl is also used to combat nausea, and might just put him to sleep--I know meds are not ideal, but sometimes necessary. Give whatever a try RF before you leave and see if it works--good luck!!!
Old 05-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #20
skolbut
Registered Users
seller
seller

I got horrible motion sickness as a kid, and still do. Facing forward helps a TON -- as an adult I refuse to ride in a rear facing seat on a bus, train, mass transit, etc. Fresh air blowing in my face (sometimes I pull an Ace Ventura if I'm freezing everyone else in the car). Looking around/ispy/billboards do NOT help. Looking out the front window at the horizon does. No books or movies, no extra hot layers (no extra coats, blankets, hoodies). Music, eyes closed, fresh air. My dad, even now, if we're in the car and I say "I don't feel so good" will pull over IMMEDIATELY. Antihistamine, and antinausea if you have it for him will do both of you a ton of good. When I was in college I became a fan of scopalomine patches, but IDK if they make them for kids. Benadryl or dramamine (can get in non-drowsy) will help too.
B... newly type II diabetic, wife to B 9/16/05, mama to B 1/23/07 H 9/27/08 (after three years of GI issues FINALLY getting a celiac diagnosis!) and our miracle baby C who joined us 9/6/2011, and is forever greatful to his "milk mamas" who pump for us! We do lots of crunchy things and some soggy things, too.
skolbut is offline   Reply With Quote