Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pelvic floor exercises

When do you do them? How many and how frequently, and what type? I've heard of the 'elevator' technique. Anybody know anything about this?

I'm pretty bad at remembering to do them but I am trying, just want to make sure I am doing them effectively.

Anybody never bother to do them, and did it cause any problems?

Advertisement

Old 05-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
fgg
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Pelvic floor exercises

I asked my PT about this and here is what she told me to do. A set of 10 "quick flicks" where you hold for two seconds, rest for two seconds. Then do a set of 10 where you hold for 10 seconds and rest for ten seconds. Think of holding/picking up a marble. Do those two sets twice a day. She also said you can do this standing, sitting, or lying down, but make sure you aren't engaging other musclse (abdominals was what she referred to specifically) while you are doing the exercises. Hope that helps.
fgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:24 AM   #3
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never really did pelvic floor exercises. I did exercise and do squats quite a bit; I personally feel that squats are more effective at keeping everything strong together, since your pelvic floor is all interconnected to the muscles in your butt and legs.

Honestly, it never made sense to me to do pelvic floor exercises, because since when did people do them? Just in the past few decades. I felt that it's probably our lifestyle and/or birth practices that make pelvic floor dysfunction more likely, so I decided to stay fit and active and avoid birth interventions instead of worrying about kegels, etc. So far, so good. I've only had the one baby, but I have no problems with my pelvic floor area. I think it's the squats
Old 05-18-2011, 07:25 AM   #4
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
I never really did pelvic floor exercises. I did exercise and do squats quite a bit; I personally feel that squats are more effective at keeping everything strong together, since your pelvic floor is all interconnected to the muscles in your butt and legs.

Honestly, it never made sense to me to do pelvic floor exercises, because since when did people do them? Just in the past few decades. I felt that it's probably our lifestyle and/or birth practices that make pelvic floor dysfunction more likely, so I decided to stay fit and active and avoid birth interventions instead of worrying about kegels, etc. So far, so good. I've only had the one baby, but I have no problems with my pelvic floor area. I think it's the squats
I was thinking exactly the same thing! Women have been birthing forever, where did the idea of special exercises come from?

I mean, I didn't really do them all that much for my first two, in fact I have to admit I was pretty pathetic. And yet I pushed them both out quickly and with no real problems. However with this pregnancy I am noticing I have less control... i have no idea if that is related to age or just because it is my third pregnancy. I have a cold at the moment and I am sneezing a lot and if I have anything in my bladder I pee my pants a little! So anyway... i'm trying at least! I will definitely start doing the squats, that can't hurt either.