Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2011, 06:34 AM   #1
tward33556
Registered Users
seller

Has anyone made fitted out of the thirsties hemp prefolds?

I just posted asking if anyone knew where I can buy a bunch and I thought I would ask too if anyone has thought about or actually has made fitted out of these instead of snapping (which is hard to do with these IMO)?

This will be for a newborn, so I really would like to have that extra leg protection to keep poo in

Has anyone just trifolded these in a cover with a newborn and had sucess of keeping poo in?

Thanks again!

Advertisement

Old 05-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
tward33556
Registered Users
seller

Re: Has anyone made fitted out of the thirsties hemp prefolds?

I guess the answer so far is no ??? I would love to have a fitted with this soft squishy stuff!!
Old 05-18-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
jessi4jc
Registered Users
seller

I haven't. Do you sew yourself? If you are looking for a rec Tammy of Tinkle Traps lets you send in your own prefolds. I'm sure she could convert some for you.

IDSO: Noro Sekku in Citrus, Lilac, Sand. Please.
IDDDSO: Charlie Banana XS and S in Lavendar!
jessi4jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
umajo
Registered Users
seller

What about making a fitted "shell" that you can lay the trifolded pf in? That way you can still use the pfs later as trifolded pfs, doublers, inserts, etc. I've been thinking about trying this and making a one size shell with either aplix or snaps.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's a great idea, but it would probably be cheaper to just buy hemp jersey fabric and make fitteds out of that. I don't think it would be more work, either, but I have limited diaper sewing experience.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #6
luvnmyboys
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2muncher
seller
seller

My Mood:

i would love fitteds made out of that material, so let me know if you find any!
luvnmyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
susykins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The importance of rear-facing seats beyond the 1 year old limit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKIeE...eature=related
susykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:38 AM   #8
tward33556
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by umajo View Post
What about making a fitted "shell" that you can lay the trifolded pf in? That way you can still use the pfs later as trifolded pfs, doublers, inserts, etc. I've been thinking about trying this and making a one size shell with either aplix or snaps.
What would you make the shell out of? I guess this would be the same as using a flip cover or something similar. I was trying to get the double leg and waist protection that we love from fitted/prefold & cover.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:40 AM   #9
tward33556
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchMama2010 View Post
It's a great idea, but it would probably be cheaper to just buy hemp jersey fabric and make fitteds out of that. I don't think it would be more work, either, but I have limited diaper sewing experience.
I agree. I found the material online, but I just don't have the time right now to figure out how to sew it. I have basic sewing skills but have never done sewing w/elastic. I don't think it is too hard though. I just have my hands full with my 4 yr old, almost 3 yr old, 1 1/2 yr old, and being 7 mths preggo. I'm tired, he,he...
Old 05-19-2011, 11:25 AM   #10
umajo
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward33556 View Post
What would you make the shell out of? I guess this would be the same as using a flip cover or something similar. I was trying to get the double leg and waist protection that we love from fitted/prefold & cover.
I would basically make a 1 or 2 layer fitted out of flannel, terry, etc but without a soaker. I'd just lay the prefold in as the soaker. The fitted "shell" keeps the messes off the cover. I think it would be relatively easy to sew up a one size "shell" that you could use from newborn up without much added bulk. I've been itching to try make some but haven't had a chance to pull out the sewing machine. This way you could keep those lovely pfs intact and use them later as inserts, doublers, etc if you wish, and also keep the resale value. You could even make the shell like a pocket fitted and stuff the pf inside.

I think a hemp jersey fitted would be awesome though!