Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
luv2jump83
Registered Users
seller

What to do with 2yo DD's curly hair?

Hi! Any mamas here have little ones with super curly hair? I love my DD's curls, but I'm not really sure how to care for her hair. It gets very frizzy and rough feeling. Anyone know of any natural products that will work well and not make her hair look greasy? Like leave in conditioner or something? Thanks!

Advertisement

luv2jump83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What to do with 2yo DD's curly hair?

Check out the no-poo support thread in the green families section...even if you don't no-poo w/ her, there are tons of product recommendations. Also, naturallycurly.com is a great resource.

A good conditioner, leave-in conditioner, & CJ's BUTTer are the things that have worked the best for me...& from CNY!
Old 05-18-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

coconut oil is great for curly hair also wash it with a coconut conditioner not shampoo just the cheap suave conditioner works fine it has coconut extract in it you can use plain coconut oil on it you can get coconut oil at any health food store or some regular grocery stores
Old 05-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #4
Winter
Registered Users
seller

I used to care for a biracial girl with super curly hair and we used regular baby lotion as a leave in conditioner. You only needed a small dollop and it was amazing to see what a difference it made in taming the frizz.
Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I've been using a product called hair mayonnaise and I love it! I use it when I wash her hair and do a light rinse and then add a little daily. It keeps her hair really nice and not heavy at all.

Check out my gallery! PM me for YYMN and other knitting needs.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've tried coconut oil and it just made it look like I hadn't bathed my child in two weeks...I guess it was too heavy for her hair.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #7
psylion
Registered Users
seller

There is a great product called mixed chicks. It is a leave in conditioner type and it changed my life. They have shampoo and regular conditioner but it is the leave in that is most important. They have a website but you can get it cheaper off of amazon or at beauty supply stores (the website will tell you which ones).

If your DDs hair isn't really super curly like biracial curly you might try infuseum leave-in they sell that everywhere and it works pretty well. I think with hair sometimes you have to go with what actually work rather than the purely organic route or you may have to go around with matted, greasy, out of control hair. That's just me and my biracial hairstyle opinion though.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 05-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is my DDs hair after washing and the hair mayonnaise. I think as long as you use a good leave in conditioner that doesn't weigh the hair down, you'll be good.

I also have this thing called a Tangle Teezer. It's great for combing/brushing her curly hair.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:29 AM   #9
Winter
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae View Post
This is my DDs hair after washing and the hair mayonnaise. I think as long as you use a good leave in conditioner that doesn't weigh the hair down, you'll be good.

I also have this thing called a Tangle Teezer. It's great for combing/brushing her curly hair.
She has lovely hair!
Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #10
amanda_rocks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a 3 year old with a wild RED head of hair- she looks like Ronald McDonald could be her father.. I mix regular conditioner- like whatever I happen to have in the shower- with water in a spray bottle and use it as a detangler/ leave in conditioner and it turns out great! I also only shampoo it once or twice a week- unless she gets sand or something in it that requires more attention.