Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #11
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What to do with 2yo DD's curly hair?

Is it kinky curly or ringlet curly? For a little girl with not-to-kinky curls, I would just do a leave in conditioner and air dry every morning. With curls, never try to comb or brush dry hair. If it gets frizzy or needs a pick me up, wet your fingers and run them through the hair.

Advertisement

Old 05-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #12
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae View Post
This is my DDs hair after washing and the hair mayonnaise. I think as long as you use a good leave in conditioner that doesn't weigh the hair down, you'll be good.

I also have this thing called a Tangle Teezer. It's great for combing/brushing her curly hair.
Ohmy her hair is adorable! Where do you get those products?
Old 05-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #13
amanda_rocks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Attachment 67803 this is my curly girls hair on a great day

Last edited by amanda_rocks; 06-23-2011 at 12:18 PM.
amanda_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #14
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
The Tangle Teezer I got from Sally's. And the hair mayonnaise I find at Walmart. It's organic too. I wet her hair thoroughly whenever I comb it. Makes it much easier to comb and keep from getting too frizzy.

Check out my gallery! PM me for YYMN and other knitting needs.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:42 AM   #15
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_rocks View Post
I have a 3 year old with a wild RED head of hair- she looks like Ronald McDonald could be her father.. I mix regular conditioner- like whatever I happen to have in the shower- with water in a spray bottle and use it as a detangler/ leave in conditioner and it turns out great! I also only shampoo it once or twice a week- unless she gets sand or something in it that requires more attention.

LOL! My daughter's hair is similar. It only has a faint red to it, though. Really curly, though! Like a red/blonde afro! This is a great thread because I have no idea how to deal with it. I don't use shampoo in it at all; usually just brush it out. I'm such a low-maintenance hair person; this is all new to me!

Old 05-18-2011, 12:02 PM   #16
BreakDanzer
Banned
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae View Post
This is my DDs hair after washing and the hair mayonnaise. I think as long as you use a good leave in conditioner that doesn't weigh the hair down, you'll be good.

I also have this thing called a Tangle Teezer. It's great for combing/brushing her curly hair.
My god, your child has GORGEOUS hair! My 15 month has hair that looks a lot like that...just not that long....yet. We've been using Mixed Chicks. Not sure if it's working for us, because the next morning Cam's hair is all dry and frizzy. Me thinks I will check out this hair mayonnaise!
BreakDanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #17
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_rocks View Post
I have a 3 year old with a wild RED head of hair- she looks like Ronald McDonald could be her father.. I mix regular conditioner- like whatever I happen to have in the shower- with water in a spray bottle and use it as a detangler/ leave in conditioner and it turns out great! I also only shampoo it once or twice a week- unless she gets sand or something in it that requires more attention.
That's what I use as well...I don't brush (EVER!!!), never do anything to it when its dry, and only use a fine tooth comb, then I spritz some plain water in it after getting it combed out and kinda loosen her curls up and finger scrunch in some places to separate the curls, then just let it dry naturally. And this is *my* curly-haired redhead
Her hair is longer now than it was in this pic, but this kinda gives a good idea of what it does...

Last edited by smashncakes; 05-18-2011 at 12:21 PM.
smashncakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #18
purna079
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
i have super tight curly hair and my mom use to brush it all the time...first dont!....go no poo, use pure soap and a dilution of vinegar in spray bottle for a rinse...use a big teeth comb and only comb when wet. if you need additional conditioner, california baby makes a nice tea tree and lavender one that I leave in...

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
OoBeeSoap.com
purna079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #19
BreakDanzer
Banned
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by purna079 View Post
i have super tight curly hair and my mom use to brush it all the time...first dont!....go no poo, use pure soap and a dilution of vinegar in spray bottle for a rinse...use a big teeth comb and only comb when wet. if you need additional conditioner, california baby makes a nice tea tree and lavender one that I leave in...

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
Funny you should post this...I was in target yesterday when a lady stopped me to comment on DD's hair. She then told me how she has super curly hair, and her mom had fine straight hair, and used to BRUSH her hair every night. She said she looked like a clown, and still has awful memories and pictures to prove it. Oh, and she was laughing....so I am not making fun!!
BreakDanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #20
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm View Post
Funny you should post this...I was in target yesterday when a lady stopped me to comment on DD's hair. She then told me how she has super curly hair, and her mom had fine straight hair, and used to BRUSH her hair every night. She said she looked like a clown, and still has awful memories and pictures to prove it. Oh, and she was laughing....so I am not making fun!!
OMG, I have this horrible, thick, coarse, kind of kinky hair...but it's not curly, it just has a heavy wave. It's that texture that I like to think of redheads having, even though I've seen it on all colors...it's just a big, puffy fuzzball if I don't do anything to it. So it mats together at the nape of my neck if I'm not careful...and I just remember my mother ripping a nylon bristle bruch through it when I was little; and not the ball-tipped nylon bristles, but the ones that are synthetic but made to mimic a boar's hair brush? Oh, it was terrible; and it was even worse that I never got a cut until I was five & it was long enough to sit on . It's no wonder that I chronically had the tightest braided pigtails ever; it was the only way to keep it untangled .

Now I slather on Tresemme Naturals conditioner, use the Giovanni leave-in, (both everyday) & a dab of CJ's on the days I use baking soda/vinegar to "wash" my hair. Now, I have a nicer texture & waves that, when treated well, are those big, looping curls . Oh, and I never brush; just finger comb while wet.

Poor DD has DP's texture, though...fine & straight. I'm never going to know what to do with it!