Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2007, 08:05 AM   #1
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Parents of autistic children-need some info!!!

I need some sites to do some homework! Can you help me? I had a p/t conference yesterday morning for my soon to be 10 year old son. He's in speech and language, and was finally doing well up north, but we recently moved to a different state and he completely crashed. he has no memory retention at all, even within 5 minutes of being taught or reviewed something, he forgets. He's acting out at home, getting into trouble for his lack of remembering things, and the list goes on. From the comments the teacher, speech teacher and myself said during the conference, the school pscychologist suggest that when I have him evaluated for ADD, that they also look into autism and Asperger's (which I don't see for either, he doesn't have any social issues, other than having a lot of difficulty holding eye contact, he zones unless you look him dead in the eye). His teacher pretty much told me there's nothing more she can do for him, as he needs so much individual time it's taking away from the other students, and his class isn't even large, there are only 15 students!!! I'm seriously afraid he's going to fail 4th grade because of the fact he can't hold on to any information, it's like his brain has gone on overload and won't hold anything anymore. I hope we can get this figured out soon, but wanted to do some homework before I go in to the doctor's office with my son. Any help or experiences you've had, would be wonderful!

(p.s. I did take him to a neurologist for ADD, and DS was having a really good day that particular day, so the Dr. pretty much told me there was nothing wrong with him, and kind of insinuated that it must be our home causing him issues because we have a large family and if I felt it was necessary I could bring Ds back in six months {?????}. This was an ignorant statement on the part of the Dr. as my students that have it available, are both in advanced classes in Junior High and next year in HS as well, so that comment was completely unfounded. BUT my son is exhibiting the same if not more behavioural things at school than home, and I was in the midst of having a second opinion when we lost our insurance coverage so couldn't go any farther).

Advertisement

Last edited by ZooCrew10; 03-29-2007 at 08:27 AM.
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote