Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2011, 04:37 PM   #11
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is this overboard?

I don't have any advice, just lurking, but I don't think it's overboard.

I like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleta View Post
I make my kids stay with me, when they're in trouble. If I'm on the computer, they have to sit at my feet or on the couch, if I'm in the kitchen cooking, they have to sit out of the way, if I'm doing laundry, they have to sit on the step down to our laundry room. And they have to help without fussing (like, can you fold this towel, get me the butter, etc) or their time gets extended. I never send them to their rooms because they would like nothing better than to sit and read or play.

Advertisement

Old 05-18-2011, 04:45 PM   #12
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:

I dont think its overboard either, mama. It gives him time to get bored (without a brother to play with...) and you time to cool off and think of what you and DH want to say to him or if you want to handle it differently next time. As a mama of three boys, I can tell you there will most definitely be a next time. My boys are well behaved most of the time, but they still fight with eachother.

I think you did a good job.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #13
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabritt View Post
I dont think its overboard either, mama. It gives him time to get bored (without a brother to play with...) and you time to cool off and think of what you and DH want to say to him or if you want to handle it differently next time. As a mama of three boys, I can tell you there will most definitely be a next time. My boys are well behaved most of the time, but they still fight with eachother.

I think you did a good job.
Thanks! I imagine there will definitely be a next time. I have 4 boys within 4.5 years of each other. My youngest boys are still just 13 months. However, one of them has already emerged as the "bully." It's not really funny, he takes toys from his brother and will tackle him for them. But, since they are only 13 months, it's sort of funny. (But, I don't laugh about it in front of him. I don't want him doing it because it makes mom laugh. Not good.)

I just want to make sure we make it perfectly clear that it isn't acceptable and this type of behavior will result in serious consequences.

I have a daughter also, a twin to the 3 year old boy, but she is rarely the problem when it comes to physical stuff. Now, whining and drama, she is all over that.

He ended up falling asleep about 30 minutes before my husband got home. Clearly, he was tired. I'm sure that is part of the reason he lost it. I woke him up when dad got home. (I want him to sleep tonight.) He apologized to his brother and asked forgiveness. I made little brother apologize also since he was purposely annoying the older brother, which isn't right either.

I'm glad the general consenses is I did well. Thanks for the reassurance.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 05-18-2011 at 05:09 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:34 PM   #14
hampyfew
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would not take away the father son dinner time. To me, that's tradition...and perhaps he'd open up to daddy about why he was so aggressive toward his brother. Some might see that as a reward, but DH has so little time with my boys because of his work schedule, I could not take that time away from them.
hampyfew is offline   Reply With Quote