Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2011, 09:00 PM   #1
lilbmam08
Registered Users
seller

Angry extremely frustrated...after switching to Tide!

I had posted a thread a couple weeks ago about having some issues with my dipes not getting clean (was using Tiny Bubbles), had even stripped, and then even tried to use tide at some point, and then dipes started to leak. Everyone said "It's Defininitely not the tide!!!!!" And to switch to tide..or to add more of my other detergent. So I tried adding more tiny bubbles, and lots and lots of rinses later to get all the suds out I still have at least one or 2 stinky diapers AFTER cleaning. So...I decided to go to the store and buy me some tide he powder, as EVERYONE said to do. I always do a pre-rinse, then a pre-wash, then wash on warm/hot (as hot as delicate cycle will go) using detergent to the 1 line (by the way..this is the Ultra Tide, clean breeze scent), then a double rinse, then I even did a second wash with no detergent as an extra rinse because there were so many suds (and today after doing all of that I still had to rinse even more!)...and needless to say, I am still getting one or two dipes smelling like poo out of all that washing. AND...when ds goes pee, it stinks in the dipes. This morning his diaper leaked through, and now after putting him to bed his diaper leaked again (this is a fresh diaper on him!!!!), all over! So...am I just going crazy? Everyone is raving about Tide, and I feel like nothing is working for us. should I add less detergent? But then am I going to have even more stinky diapers? I am just not sure what to do at this point, but I am very frustrated.

Advertisement

Old 05-18-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
MommaToBubandCJ
Registered Users
seller

Re: extremely frustrated...after switching to Tide!

What kind of washer do you have? Is it an HE?

I think what I'd do is get some RLR to strip them again. You'll have to make sure you get all the detergent out. RLR works really well, IMO, and it's fairly inexpensive. If you do try it, you'll just have to be sure your rinse, rinse, rinse to get out all the left over detergent that might be lingering in the diapers.

Then I'd try the Tide again. If you have an HE machine, definitely use the HE detergent. I just got a HE machine about a month ago, and I'm still trying to figure out exactly how much detergent to use to clean the diapers enough but to not leave too much residue behind. So far, I've found about almost to the first line to be the right amount for my machine and water type.
MommaToBubandCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
lilbmam08
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaToBubandCJ View Post
What kind of washer do you have? Is it an HE?

I think what I'd do is get some RLR to strip them again. You'll have to make sure you get all the detergent out. RLR works really well, IMO, and it's fairly inexpensive. If you do try it, you'll just have to be sure your rinse, rinse, rinse to get out all the left over detergent that might be lingering in the diapers.

Then I'd try the Tide again. If you have an HE machine, definitely use the HE detergent. I just got a HE machine about a month ago, and I'm still trying to figure out exactly how much detergent to use to clean the diapers enough but to not leave too much residue behind. So far, I've found about almost to the first line to be the right amount for my machine and water type.
I have an LG HE front loader, I did get the Tide HE formula. Do you think Calgon will work just like RLR? I am not really sure how to use either, but I have some Calgon, and didn't see any of the other in my laundry isle. Do I just put it in during the wash cycle with the dipes or in place of detergent, or (I am clueless lol)? I know hubby is getting mad as he is finding out how many times I keep washing and rinsing, rinsing, rinsing, rinsing.....etc. And I had just boiled all the mf liners too just before switching!
Old 05-18-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
hampyfew
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How frustrating!! I'm a total Tide pusher, but I know it is not the end all miracle for everyone. What kind of diapers are you using? When they leak, are they soaked? Are you using HOT water and plenty of it? If you have an HE/Frontloader, you may have to trick your machine into using more water somehow (I'm sure someone knows how to do this, I however, have an older top loader). How many diapers are you washing at once? Are the stinky ones used for daytime or naps/night?
hampyfew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
hampyfew
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you have hard water by chance?
hampyfew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:20 PM   #6
lilbmam08
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampyfew View Post
How frustrating!! I'm a total Tide pusher, but I know it is not the end all miracle for everyone. What kind of diapers are you using? When they leak, are they soaked? Are you using HOT water and plenty of it? If you have an HE/Frontloader, you may have to trick your machine into using more water somehow (I'm sure someone knows how to do this, I however, have an older top loader). How many diapers are you washing at once? Are the stinky ones used for daytime or naps/night?
For my dipes, I have all fuzzibunz and grovia AI2s. I usually wash like 9-12 at most at a time, and that's with washing either every other to every third day. A couple of times I tried the whole "put a wet towel in" trick, but that was with the other detergent. Haven't tried it with the Tide yet, but will next. The last 2 I have noticed that leaked are between soaked and "spotty" soaked...like it's not just leaking out the legs like an improper fit, but through the fabric in places. I can only use hot water on my regular wash cycle, but I have been using the delicates cycle because it uses more water. Sometimes I would use the regular wash cycle with the extra water button, still same everything else. Not sure which is better. The dipes are stinking at anytime of the day or night (of course night is worse, but that's just cuz he's in them much longer). This morning he was in a diaper maybe a half hour or hour and it was smelly...bad smelly...I really want to like the Tide...it was actually cheaper than buying the "cloth diaper safe" detergent, and we don't like buying detergent anyway because we make all of our own detergent for our clothes.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #7
lilbmam08
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampyfew View Post
Do you have hard water by chance?
I think from experimenting with different things that we have normal or in-between water...like it's not hard, but it's not super soft either...if that makes sense??
Old 05-18-2011, 09:27 PM   #8
Nachomama
Registered Users
seller
seller

So, you're washing on the delicate cycle? I know the delicate cycle on my front loader is much much shorter than the heavy cycle that I use for dipes. Maybe you need a longer wash cycle?
Old 05-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #9
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree you need to strip and start fresh!!!

Sent from my EVO using DS Forum
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:34 PM   #10
lilbmam08
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachomama View Post
So, you're washing on the delicate cycle? I know the delicate cycle on my front loader is much much shorter than the heavy cycle that I use for dipes. Maybe you need a longer wash cycle?
Yeah, I had played with the different cycles to see which had more water, I know delicates had a lot of water use, and the handwash cycle uses even more water (but I won't use that one because it hardly agitates). I haven't noticed (or checked really) if the delicates and regular wash are different cycle lengths, but I will watch next time. My washer has these settings: Bulky/Large, Cotton/Normal, Permanent Press, Delicates, Handwash/Wool...and then I can add extra settings like "water plus" to some (not to the delicates though). My instruction manual is totally not helpful either. It doesn't say how much water any cycle uses, or even if the rinses are hot or cold, or any information that would be helpful to me in finding out how to best use my washer for cloth. arg. It's an LG. We got it before we started CDing...