Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #11
Soko202
Registered Users
seller

Re: extremely frustrated...after switching to Tide!

When I use the delicate/hand wash cycle I only use it for the prewash and rinse. I had terrible troubles 8 years ago with CDs and FL. This time around I have no issues. Here is my routine.

Hand wash cycle warm/warm with two large squirts bacout
Heavy duty cycle hot/cold extra wash/extra rinse add powder detergent of choice plus oxygen bleach (use tide if that is what you have and adjust amount as needed)
Hand wash cycle warm/warm plus extra rinse

If delicate is the cycle that adds water use that instead of hand wash. You need the hot cycle for proper cleaning, but dilution is the key.

I think liquid detergent is very hard to rinse but so is tide in comparison to cd powder detergents. I find that by adding oxygen bleach with the cd detergent really helps. With tide you won't need it but will have to find the proper amount to use. I think with the routine I listed you may not have to rinse as much hopefully. I hope you find something that works!

Advertisement

Soko202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #12
ReadingRenee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbmam08 View Post
Yeah, I had played with the different cycles to see which had more water, I know delicates had a lot of water use, and the handwash cycle uses even more water (but I won't use that one because it hardly agitates). I haven't noticed (or checked really) if the delicates and regular wash are different cycle lengths, but I will watch next time. My washer has these settings: Bulky/Large, Cotton/Normal, Permanent Press, Delicates, Handwash/Wool...and then I can add extra settings like "water plus" to some (not to the delicates though). My instruction manual is totally not helpful either. It doesn't say how much water any cycle uses, or even if the rinses are hot or cold, or any information that would be helpful to me in finding out how to best use my washer for cloth. arg. It's an LG. We got it before we started CDing...
Sounds like we have the Same LG washer and perhaps the same water type.

I do occasionally get the problems you are talking about. Super stinky when peed in and weird spotty leaking through covers/diapers.

But fwiw here is my wash routine with Tide HE powder.

First of all, with the rinse and spin you can hit the water plus button and it is a LOT of water. I didn't find that out til recently. But its cold water. I do that first. Whenever I switch it up and do the delicate cycle first with warm water the diapers seem to smell more. I dont' know why.

Then I do the cotton wash on hot/cold with prewash and water plus with a very small amount of detergent in the prewash compartment and then a little less than the one line with Tide.

After that I used to be able to get away with another rinse and spin water plus but lately I need to do another full hot wash cycle /water plus with the highest spin on the end.

I discovered I seem to have build up most recently but I haven't stripped my diapers in a VERY long time so this routine works most of the time.
ReadingRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #13
todzwife
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm wondering if you don't have enough agitation to get them clean using the delicate cycle.

I use the towels/sheets cycle on mine because it adds more water...
todzwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #14
ktgrok
Registered Users
seller

add a cup of vinegar to the wash. It got rid of rotavirus diarrhea stink.
ktgrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #15
lilbmam08
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingRenee View Post
Sounds like we have the Same LG washer and perhaps the same water type.

I do occasionally get the problems you are talking about. Super stinky when peed in and weird spotty leaking through covers/diapers.

But fwiw here is my wash routine with Tide HE powder.

First of all, with the rinse and spin you can hit the water plus button and it is a LOT of water. I didn't find that out til recently. But its cold water. I do that first. Whenever I switch it up and do the delicate cycle first with warm water the diapers seem to smell more. I dont' know why.

Then I do the cotton wash on hot/cold with prewash and water plus with a very small amount of detergent in the prewash compartment and then a little less than the one line with Tide.

After that I used to be able to get away with another rinse and spin water plus but lately I need to do another full hot wash cycle /water plus with the highest spin on the end.

I discovered I seem to have build up most recently but I haven't stripped my diapers in a VERY long time so this routine works most of the time.
Sounds about like mine. I do the rinse and spin first...which cycle do you select to do the rinse and spin on? I usually have been selecting delicates to do that, but it won't let me add water plus...I don't remember if the handwashing one did, but I am thinking using that would make my diaper load heavier anyway by not spinning as much, so when I do the wash part it would add more water?

For the pre-wash part, I have usually been adding a scoop of oxiclean vers. and then detergent for the reg wash part, if I use detergent, how much would you say is a "little bit" maybe half way to the 1 line? or half of that even? Maybe skip the oxi for now?
Old 05-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #16
KiraKira
Registered Users

Have you tried adding a little vinegar to your rinse and prewash? Is it ammonia stink or poop stink? If it's ammonia, 1/4 cup of vinegar could cut it and also rinsing your night dipes every morning. I have heard of some women using a wet pail with just a few tablespoons of bleach in it just for the night dipes. I use bleach or vinegar each wash. So far I have had no trouble with my pul or elastic.
KiraKira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:56 PM   #17
KiraKira
Registered Users

Or stink. :-)
Old 05-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #18
lilbmam08
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraKira View Post
Have you tried adding a little vinegar to your rinse and prewash? Is it ammonia stink or poop stink? If it's ammonia, 1/4 cup of vinegar could cut it and also rinsing your night dipes every morning. I have heard of some women using a wet pail with just a few tablespoons of bleach in it just for the night dipes. I use bleach or vinegar each wash. So far I have had no trouble with my pul or elastic.
I only tried using vinegar once a while back, but then I read about it causing more stink problems the more it is used, or not being good for the dipes, but heck, there is so much contradicting info out there I don't know what's good or not LOL! I have not ever used real bleach on the dipes yet, because of the PUL and elastic...also because with the grovia and fuzzibuns it said not to, but I do see that lots of mamas are using it with no probs? I have just been scared to ruin my diapers as we don't really have money to buy more.

Oh, stink is more ammonia stink while diaper is on, out-of-the-wash stink is always poop stink. and I probably over-rinse my diapers with the diaper sprayer every time he poops...I'm anal and feel that I need to get every single bit of poo off them!

(On another note...I did use fuzzibunz in a chlorine pool twice...I think it was chlorine...and it didn't hurt my dipes, so how different is that than bleach???)
Old 05-18-2011, 09:04 PM   #19
Lolita Ai
Registered Users
seller

:'( sorry for this! hmmm, but HE machines use very little water! I have to do lots of pre rinses before getting to the actual wash! one mama said she puts water through the detergent dispenser, but I havent tried that. I have never used tide, I am afraid! I use RnG....I had someone trade their diapers with me and when i soaked it soooo many studs came out and the dipe leaked! stripped, did lots of washing and sunning and now they are decent.......
I sorry I am not much help....
Lolita Ai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #20
KiraKira
Registered Users

Pool water is about the same as bleach...I think at this point a tiny bit of bleach or vinegar can't hurt, right? Just rinse well until you can't smell bleach or vinegar...whichever you choose.

I over rinse my dipes too in the sprayer, lol, I hate stains!