Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-19-2011, 08:32 AM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: How do you feel about homework?

I have mixed feelings about it.

The way that schools are presently structured, I dislike it. They spend more than enough time sitting at tables and desks and doing all sorts of seat work. They shouldn't need to come home and do MORE seat work.

IF they gave them daily recess (once they hit 3rd grade around here they don't do it daily), even if it's only 10 minutes, 2-3 times per day, then I would be fine having them come home and sit to work on something that just needs drilling like spelling words or math facts.

EVEN so, if my kid can come home and tell me his math facts or spell out ALL of the spelling words for the week, I see NO REASON for him to drill them for the sake of drilling them. Give him some words he doesn't know to learn or forget it.

I am aok with nightly reading though. I think it is awesome and no matter how boring the assigned book might be, I can always come up with something fun to talk about to make it more interesting. Or we just zip through it and read something more challenging.

Melissa-Wife, mother to DS 4/02 and DD 4/07, DS 7/08 DD 7/13
ISO: my lost shaker of salt
mcpforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #12
No Longer Here
My Mood:
This is one of the reasons we took our kids out of traditional public school.

Next year I have two that are re-entering but they are specialized schools with minimal homework. 8th and 9th grade.

When they were in PS the rule was 10 min per grade level a night so if they did 10 min in kinder and were not finished I just let it go and had our family time.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote