Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-19-2011, 01:43 AM   #1
sjh100
Registered Users
seller

Bumgenius-Adjusting one size diapers

So I'm new to CD-ing and have questions on adjusting the diapers as my baby grows. I have elementals and 3.0s mostly and the baby is 4 months, 18 pounds. Here goes:

1). For the 3.0s, when do you usually switch from the newborn to the infant insert?

I'm guessing I should have by now because sometimes I'm getting leaks from what I think is too much liquid in the newborn insert.

2). But since I'm on the first row of snaps, if I use the bigger insert, where does all the excess fabric go? (It feels like the insert is way to big for the pocket.) Do I need to bunch it up in the front because I have a boy? And if so, won't that be bulky and uncomfortable?

3). For the elementals, I'm also wondering where the excess inner fabric goes while my son is still on the smaller size (although this diaper seems a little trimmer than the 3.0)? Do I just squish it up wherever I want?

Sorry, I hope this makes sense. Thanks for the help!

Advertisement

sjh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:50 AM   #2
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Re: Bumgenius-Adjusting one size diapers

My son is 5 months and 13 pounds. I use the second size setting with the larger insert and a doubler.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:50 AM   #3
sjh100
Registered Users
seller

Oh and one more question (sorry can't edit my post from the iPhone):

4). For the snap closure ( as opposed to Velcro) do you sometimes snap to different positions on either side to get the right fit? For instance, I've been using the 2nd and 3rd snaps respectively on either side because my son had grown out of the 3rd snap on both sides. Is that bad? Will the diaper somehow not work effectively if I do that? Thanks !!
sjh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:51 AM   #4
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

Yes if he os in between snap sizes I do that. That is one of the downsides of sbap they di not fit as good as aplic ib the waist.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:45 AM   #5
thejuel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As long as you aren't getting leaks or horrible red marks, you can snap them any way that you want.
thejuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
fantasia1117
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a boy and I just fold down the extra part of the insert in the front before I slide it in. It doesn't seem too bulky to me. Then if I need a doubler (like naps) I add it on top of the other insert. At night I use a newborn/dobler insert, regular insert folded or snapped down in front, and a large hemp babies insert (which also has to be folded in front). A little bulkier, but again not bad at all.

My ds is 7 months and weighs just under 20 lbs (he's long and skinny) and we are on the medium rise setting and have been since I started cloth diaper at 5 months. I am sure that we would have been on the medium size by around 3 months cause he is really long.

Last edited by fantasia1117; 05-19-2011 at 07:22 AM.
fantasia1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
Chris10
Registered Users
seller
seller

During the day I use two of the infant inserts so it's not so bulky, then at night I use the larger insert snapped down to the "small" size with the fold in front (she sleeps on her side or back so the fold doesn't bother her).
Chris10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #8
alisonh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris10 View Post
During the day I use two of the infant inserts so it's not so bulky, then at night I use the larger insert snapped down to the "small" size with the fold in front (she sleeps on her side or back so the fold doesn't bother her).
I like that idea!

Right now ds is just 3 months and I can use the infant insert on smallest setting still if I change every 2 hours (sometimes it can go longer but I do change every 2 unless we are out and can't) Overnight I use the larger insert and I have it opened to the next setting on the diaper rise if that makes sense. I think I will change to the larger insert during the day when we get leaks before the 2 hour mark. I don't use these everyday so we will see.