Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-19-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
ebentrup24
Registered Users

High fever kiddo...

I don't even know if there's a question in here, but here goes... My LO is just barely a year. The kid is home every 3-4 weeks with a fever (I teach, so they're at a school all day). a HIGH fever. We're talking 103-104+. Every time. The doctor says some kids just get high fevers. Any experience with this? Am I not cleaning enough to get rid of viruses?

Some of us were talking at work about the fact that his school is Montessori and so all toys are all wood. It's not like they can leave the toys sitting in a bleach solution all day like plastic toys. Could that have something to do with it?

Grrrr....

Advertisement

Compounding Interests
ebentrup24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #2
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: High fever kiddo...

I doubt that it has anything to do with germs on toys. I think that they get sick from other children. It upsets me that parents do not keep their children at home when they are ill, my ds has strep throat because a play date did not bother to tell us and they are still out infecting other children. The fevers of your child sound high, how quickly do you get them down?
Old 05-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
ebentrup24
Registered Users

Pretty quickly. He always responds well to meds and sponge baths. The fever sometimes (like today) bounces back faster than I would like though.

Compounding Interests
ebentrup24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Wow, seriously I was going to start a thread with the same question. My LO spikes fevers like once a month. And she doesn't go to daycare, is barely ever around other kids. I don't get it.

In fact, she's sick again today!
Old 05-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
*Ashley*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My oldest dd who is now 7, always had fever for no apparent reason. She somewhat still does. Really no other symptoms. However, it wasn't very often that they got over 103 although it isn't unheard of. She still gets them. One cause we didn't find out until four years too late was that she got a lot of uti's. She doesn't get the usual symptoms. Just a fever. Even though she still gets them at least some were from an underlying cause. She actually had to have surgery when she was four. Have they checking anything like that?
Old 05-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #6
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS (he'll be 2 next week) has been getting high fevers every 3 to 3-1/2 weeks like clockwork since August or September (I can literally pinpoint within a day of when he'll get his next fever spike). Our ped has steadfastly said that kids under 2 get viruses like crazy, but on Tuesday, we FINALLY got a tentative diagnosis of a Periodic Fever Syndrome, more specifically, PFAPA. He goes from being okay to being a very sick boy in no time at all. There are no other "typical" toddler symptoms like runny nose or cough, however he sometimes seems to have a sore throat and his neck gets stiff/sore, with swollen glands. DS stays at home with me, and we're not around a lot of kids on a regular basis.

I don't really want to put this out there so that you think there is something wrong with your child, I just wanted to share my experience. Hopefully it's just typical immune building viruses that your child is dealing with and he/she will feel better soon!!
Old 05-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #7
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LnzsOut View Post
DS (he'll be 2 next week) has been getting high fevers every 3 to 3-1/2 weeks like clockwork since August or September (I can literally pinpoint within a day of when he'll get his next fever spike). Our ped has steadfastly said that kids under 2 get viruses like crazy, but on Tuesday, we FINALLY got a tentative diagnosis of a Periodic Fever Syndrome, more specifically, PFAPA. He goes from being okay to being a very sick boy in no time at all. There are no other "typical" toddler symptoms like runny nose or cough, however he sometimes seems to have a sore throat and his neck gets stiff/sore, with swollen glands. DS stays at home with me, and we're not around a lot of kids on a regular basis.

I don't really want to put this out there so that you think there is something wrong with your child, I just wanted to share my experience. Hopefully it's just typical immune building viruses that your child is dealing with and he/she will feel better soon!!

I was just reading about PFAPA. This sounds like my child. One minute she's fine, then boom she has a fever for about three days. It's totally crazy. And no runny nose, cough, nothing.And we are homebound most of the time. I think I'm calling the ped tomorrow.

Ok, sorry I hijacked. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:22 PM   #8
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've noticed that each of my kids have their own "common" sickness'. My oldest dd spikes those crazy high fevers, my son always gets a bad cough/ trouble breathing, and my dd#2 runny nose/congestion/cough

myall4him2 is offline   Reply With Quote