Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-19-2011, 01:15 AM   #1
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

How do you feel about homework?

Your kids homework that is... I personally hate it. And I hated assigning it when teaching. I'm a more hands on type teacher/ learner and homework is just so boring! Of course I make my kids do theirs but they get packets and usually do the whole thing Monday's so they can have the rest of the week free, with the exception of reading. But then those books! Like seriously? Ben sat on it. Ben met a fox. The fox had ten hats. That's what dds book was about this week. Wasn't even a story! Just random sentences. Again, boring!

Ok vent over. I just really dislike homework. Of course it's helpful in some situations but I sometimes can't help question what's being assigned. Sigh lol

Advertisement

Old 05-19-2011, 03:53 AM   #2
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

Re: How do you feel about homework?

It doesn't bother me for the most part. Ds is in year 2 at a private school in thailand (this would be 1st grade in the US) His homework consists of reading every day and he must write his spelling words every. Those are the daily tasks. He has a weekly task in speaking and listening which is usually a verbal thing. A numeracy task, and a topic task which is the most time consuming. The way they set up their curriculum is that there is at topic for every term. All the lessons including math, reading, science, music will fall under that topic. This term's topic is monsters so everything they do relates to monsters. I try to get the weekly stuff done on the weekend so all he has to do daily is reading and his spelling words. There have been a couple of tasks that annoyed me because they were really time consuming. One week, he had to build a kite. One that could actually fly. I had dh do that one.

I do think it's good to start homework early so they get used to doing it.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:12 AM   #3
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dislike.
I remember going to school all day, then going to my PT job from 4-10, then doing homework until midnight or 1am, repeat.
My oldest has such a hard time with just the basics right now, I dread homework homework later to come. It takes him twice the amount of time of the average kid doing HW. He lacks focus.
I feel like they are in school enough. Homework should be supplemental & not mandatory in my opinion.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:24 AM   #4
mommyof3armywife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not going to lie it is not fun, however important. Troy books were like that in K and it was annoying but now he reads 88 words per min in 1st grade reading is the best thing for kids. I don't understand it but I am sure the books are like that for a reason.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:33 AM   #5
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimb96 View Post
It doesn't bother me for the most part. Ds is in year 2 at a private school in thailand (this would be 1st grade in the US) His homework consists of reading every day and he must write his spelling words every. Those are the daily tasks. He has a weekly task in speaking and listening which is usually a verbal thing. A numeracy task, and a topic task which is the most time consuming. The way they set up their curriculum is that there is at topic for every term. All the lessons including math, reading, science, music will fall under that topic. This term's topic is monsters so everything they do relates to monsters. I try to get the weekly stuff done on the weekend so all he has to do daily is reading and his spelling words. There have been a couple of tasks that annoyed me because they were really time consuming. One week, he had to build a kite. One that could actually fly. I had dh do that one.

I do think it's good to start homework early so they get used to doing it.
Now that would be up my alley!
Old 05-19-2011, 07:35 AM   #6
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof3armywife View Post
Not going to lie it is not fun, however important. Troy books were like that in K and it was annoying but now he reads 88 words per min in 1st grade reading is the best thing for kids. I don't understand it but I am sure the books are like that for a reason.
They are. I just wish someone would write better readers with at least some interesting stories! In Abeka curriculum there used to be a story called Tar Baby and the tar baby gets hung at the end! yeah, let's have our first graders read that. UGH!
Old 05-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #7
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

I think it's completely stupid for them to have to do homework after they've been in school all day, but I know why they have it. Here it is the work they didn't finish in class. They have to teach them so much and there is not enough time to get it all done, so they have to bring home what they don't finish.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:39 AM   #8
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Brady View Post
They are. I just wish someone would write better readers with at least some interesting stories! In Abeka curriculum there used to be a story called Tar Baby and the tar baby gets hung at the end! yeah, let's have our first graders read that. UGH!
What!? wow, that's nuts! My son's school uses Abeka and they only have reading homework every night except wednesday and then spelling homework as well on friday. easy peasy, I only don't like that DS complains about it everyday.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:44 AM   #9
mommyof3armywife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Brady View Post
I agree but I promise that they do get better Troy's books are not real stories and kinda funny at times LOL
Old 05-19-2011, 08:27 AM   #10
Bear Family
Registered Users
seller

Hate it with a passion. Drives me crazy. They (teachers) say that it is mostly just busy work and are required to assign it which really pisses me off. Just busy work, are you kidding me, we are busy. I hate the fact that I work all day, home by 3 and then we are doing homework till 4, sometimes 4.30. That should be my time with my kid, not fighting about homework. Math is the worst, they have a certian way they explain it to them, I am not a teacher so I explain it my own way and all it does is confuse her. My daughter has had homework since Kindergarten, which btw, was an all day class as well, I just think it is a bit much. Homework should be sent home when they can sit and do it by themselves. I am not a teacher, and I just feel like I hinder her more than help her.
Bear Family is offline   Reply With Quote