Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #11
Fitter
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Are we too protective/strict?

simple answer, no you aren't being over-protective. I wouldn't deal with either of those situations either.

Advertisement

Old 05-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #12
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

Glad to see I'm not the only one who would have the same rules! Most of our friends/family think we're way too overprotective when it comes to stuff like this. My mom and I had a huge falling out a few weeks ago, because of our rules. My mom and MIL both try to claim we're keeping their grandchildren away from them, and we must think we're better than them, etc etc. Neither of them bother coming to our house, so they rarely see our kids. Personally, I think that's their own fault. They know where we live, and we've made an effort in the past to invite them over often - they always declined, so we stopped inviting.

I'm just so frustrated - I haven't talked to my mom in almost a month over all this, and I'm about ready to cut them all out of the picture. Family is such work!
Old 05-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #13
firstimemommy44
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

^Yeah that!! I completely agree mama's you are NOT being unreasonable at all in any way shape or form. You're being a good parent and protecting you children!

My swagbucks http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/ellen44
firstimemommy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #14
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't allow my kids to go to my Mom's house unless I supervise them there. My sister lives with them and she is a recovering (i use the term very lightly) drug addict. They think it is ridiculous because they would watch them, etc, but the last time I was there, they were letting my ds who is four dig for worms with a huge shovel, and not even watching him by the pond. There is NO way they will go there unsupervised. I have been told I am overprotective too, but my kids,my rules. You are only doing what a good mama should do!
Old 05-19-2011, 02:02 PM   #15
KandFsMomma
Registered Users
Formerly: keirinsmomma
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
Sorry mama. Thats tough. But I think they are lucky you even let them see your kids at all. There is NO way in hell I would take my childre to either of their homes.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:34 PM   #16
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

I do not think you are being over protective. If you mom brings up the weed is natural crap I would tell her so is opium in it's natural form (opium is used to make heroin), mushrooms are all natural and so is cocaine (if clean).

Know one wants their kids to grab a mushroom off the table My mother chews nicotine gum but leaves it on the coffee table... ummm I really do not want my dd to grab it thinking 'gum' and eat it!
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #17
lovemygirlseques
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am not a strict parent, but I would not be bringing my kids over to either of thier homes.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #18
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That is not tough or even a question. The person who caused you to be raised in foster care doesn't get to have an opinion on your children. You cannot allow a drug addict/criminal to influence how you decide things for your los.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #19
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

NO, you are not being overprotective in the least!!!
Old 05-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #20
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitter View Post
simple answer, no you aren't being over-protective. I wouldn't deal with either of those situations either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama.timms View Post
Glad to see I'm not the only one who would have the same rules! Most of our friends/family think we're way too overprotective when it comes to stuff like this. My mom and I had a huge falling out a few weeks ago, because of our rules. My mom and MIL both try to claim we're keeping their grandchildren away from them, and we must think we're better than them, etc etc. Neither of them bother coming to our house, so they rarely see our kids. Personally, I think that's their own fault. They know where we live, and we've made an effort in the past to invite them over often - they always declined, so we stopped inviting.

I'm just so frustrated - I haven't talked to my mom in almost a month over all this, and I'm about ready to cut them all out of the picture. Family is such work!
But see you AREN'T trying to keep the kids from them, you are just trying to keep the kids away from illegal drugs and animal feces.

Sorry this is so frustrating for you, but sounds like you are doing the right thing, and sounds like DH is in agreement since you didn't mention anything about him not being in agreement.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote