Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
Darth Hooka
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How often/long does your baby nap?

DD will be 5 months old on the 22nd.

She has napped a total of 32 minutes today. I timed it.

She goes to bed at 930 and sleeps til 830ish and sometimes is up at 1 or 3 for food and then goes back down. Some nights she sleeps all the way through.

At about 130-2pm she is incredibly fussy and clingy and nothing i do quiets her constant grumping and fussing. My house is NEVER quiet from 130ish til she goes to sleep at 930 or so. I cant take the constant grumpiness!

is this normal? When do they start to self soothe?

Every day I feel like putting her in her crib and walking out because I need some PEACE with out a baby flailing in my lap or yelling at me. by the time DH gets home from work I am so drained I just want to be left alone and go somewhere away from her.

Advertisement

Darth Hooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How often/long does your baby nap?

can you take her out in the stroller? a lot of times that does the trick for my 5 month old.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
doodah
Registered Users
seller

is she on a routine during the day?
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #4
mommy2abigail
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Dd1-slept in 20 minute intervals until she was 18 months old...day AND night.
Dd2-a bit better, did one longer nap in the middle of the day, about an hour, and 20 minute naps otherwise, woke about every 2-3 hours at night until she was one.
Dd3-my best napper...she used to take two long naps during the day, each between 1.5-2 hours, BUT she was waking SO much at night (seriously, I would stop counting at 2 am when it was the sixth time she woke up) that I am trying to transition her second nap to a shorter one...I just wear her in the sling rather than put her in bed and she wakes up in 20 minutes. She is still waking up on average 3-4 times a night...sometimes less, sometimes more.

I parented all three the same...and yet they are all different. It just depends on the baby. Personally I think your baby is doing fantastic just waking once per night!!!
Would wearing her help? Laying down with her? Car ride? Swaddle? What do you do at night to have her sleep so long? Could you do that during the day? Is this new, or has she always taken really short naps? Teething? Sickness?
mommy2abigail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

I found Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child had a very good section on age appropriate sleep schedules and how to help your baby nap/sleep. We had very good luck moving DS's bedtime earlier, from 10pm to 6pm and he sleeps until 6am. Then he napped at 9am and 1pm for 1-1.5 hours every day from 10 months until very recently (he's in the process of dropping a nap.)
Old 05-19-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layney82
I found Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child had a very good section on age appropriate sleep schedules and how to help your baby nap/sleep.
Agreed. We didn't always follow the book's instructions exactly, but it does give an excellent schedule. Without fail the schedule he lists has been the schedule our DD and DS have naturally gravitated to. That book has been indispensable for helping us figure out what the heck their natural schedule is. What can I say? I'm not to great with detecting the sleepy signs on my own, or maybe my kids just aren't that great at giving them.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
epiclesis
Registered Users
seller

This was my life until a month ago. And he's 9 months old now.

It was miserable. I was unhappy, he was unhappy - I was ready to run away.
Just one day out of nowhere he just started being an angel, sleeping overnight and a four hour stretch during the day.
One thing that helped us, was that I finally got him out of our bedroom and into his own room.

Do you babywear at all? It can help, if only for your sanity. It never helped his napping, but helped his happiness level, and helped me not go crazy.
epiclesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
pcjs
Registered Users

My son would dose when he was an newborn/infant and all of the sudden around 11 months he started napping for 1-3 hours. It freaked me out. Its ok to put her down in the crib if she's fine for a little mommy time or do a daddy dump when dad gets home - its normal to need a break/down time. My son always falls asleep in the car or would in the stroller (now he's too busy flirting but will) so that may be an option too so you can just get out and go. At that age my son loved his jumper so I could get a bit of a "break" for a few minutes when he went into that.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
newtwinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My LOs wake at 630 or 7. They eat then up for 30-45 minutes then to the swings for a nap. Owen usually wakes up about 9, but Nash regularly sleeps till 10-1030. Eat again then usually for a few hours. Sometimes they take a cat nap, but sometimes they stay up then eat again at 130ish. This is where our day gets wacky and routine goes out the window. On a good day they crash after that feed and get up at 3ish. Most of the time it seems like they take turns, one will cat nap while the other demands to be played with then switch but they are always both up by 4pm to eat again. They are then up until bedtime at 730-8pm. They usually sleep well until 1130 or 12 pm when one wakes up. Reswaddle, replace paci, pat pat pat. Then never fails the other will wake roughly an hour later. Reswaddle, replace paci, pat pat pat. On a good night they sleep till 3am when I feed em then down till 6am. We won't discuss a bad night.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:02 PM   #10
Darth Hooka
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She just started sleeping during the night in feb or so. I dont do much but I did notice that when her mobile is on, she goes to sleep much faster. So if she wakes up, I click the mobile so I have light to feed her and then when i put her down in her pack and play, shes normally out within 5 minutes.

We dont have a schedule. I've had it drummed into me that a baby will set their own schedule and just go with it. I am starting to think that shes old enough and a loose schedule will both save our sanity.

I baby wear her in an ergo. Sometimes it gives me some peace. Other times shes fussing to get out, pulling my hair etc. She does really well in the back carry but i cant finagle her onto my back by myself. If I could, I'd be a happy camper!

I need to get the book recommended. If I could move up her bed time to 6pm from 930ish, I wouldn't mind waking up at 6am instead of 830!

Darth Hooka is offline   Reply With Quote