Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
OneFishTwoFish's Avatar
OneFishTwoFish
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,644
My Mood:
Best Green Crib Mattress?

We are in the market for a new crib mattress. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

__________________
~Krissy
Wife to Bob, and mommy to Ben and Matt. Love my boys!
OneFishTwoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:14 AM   #2
pgkcb13's Avatar
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wa. State
Posts: 3,872
My Mood:
Re: Best Green Crib Mattress?

Hey you

We bought the LA Baby organic mattress for DD (from costco:http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=1&topnav=&s=1 and plan to buy it again for #2. They do use borate as a fire retardent but after research DH and I decided we were okay with that. We do co-sleep 100% of the time early on and 95% of the time now w/DD. If they were going to be in the crib full time I'd go with organic wool. You can look at options at www.organicgrace.com (great company).

GL!
__________________
~Kory~
Wife to my best friend; Mama to Beetle 3/12/09, Tiny 7/22/11, and Nugget 4/5/13
CDing, BWing, BFing, ERFing, Non-Vaxing, Co-Sleeping, Crunchy, Thrifty, SAHM!
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
OneFishTwoFish's Avatar
OneFishTwoFish
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,644
My Mood:
Re: Best Green Crib Mattress?

Thanks mama! That site is great!

I am so hesitant about the wool covered mattresses. I don't know, maybe I am just brainwashed into how easy the waterproof ones are. I didn't even think about checking the big box stores...I'm going to do that now!
__________________
~Krissy
Wife to Bob, and mommy to Ben and Matt. Love my boys!
OneFishTwoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
wavesofgrace's Avatar
wavesofgrace
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 168
Re: Best Green Crib Mattress?

I had a very difficult time finding the right green/non-toxic crib mattress for my daughter. First, my family purchased a $90 one from Target that claimed to be "natural" (I think it was a Sealy). When I removed the plastic wrap, however, I noticed a strong smell and a suspiciously plastic-looking surface. It turns out that the mattress cover was made of toxic vinyl!!

After much searching and debating, we finally bit the bullet and bought a Natural Mat Coco Mat. The mattress interior is comprised of wool and "coir," which is a material made from coconut husks. It is handmade and treated with no chemicals-- only lemon and lavender oil. We also bought the coordinating flannel mattress cover.

One benefit of a natural crib mattress (besides the lack of flame retardants and toxic cover) is you won't find baby dripping with sweat. Since the majority of crib mattresses are wrapped in vinyl (to make them waterproof), this makes babies more prone to overheating. Natural mattresses are far more breathable, which is a big plus!

I am extremely pleased with the quality of our mattress! It is firm enough to be safe, but soft enough to be comfortable. The craftmanship appears to be excellent, with good stitching and very soft fabric. The mattress did have a very faint "hay-like" smell that faded away eventually.

The price really is the only drawback, but you certainly will get your money's worth if you plan to use it through multiple children. In addition, I'd imagine that the resale value is decent and that this mattress, in good condition, could fetch a decent price on Craigslist if need be.

Hope this helps!
__________________
Wife to my best friend, L Proud, first-time mama to lively toddler, E (2/10)

wavesofgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
wavesofgrace's Avatar
wavesofgrace
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 168
Re: Best Green Crib Mattress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFishTwoFish View Post
Thanks mama! That site is great!

I am so hesitant about the wool covered mattresses. I don't know, maybe I am just brainwashed into how easy the waterproof ones are. I didn't even think about checking the big box stores...I'm going to do that now!
Oh, and we've never had a problem with diaper leaks permeating the mattress. The mattress protector we bought works perfectly! :0)

This is it:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20
__________________
Wife to my best friend, L Proud, first-time mama to lively toddler, E (2/10)

wavesofgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:04 AM   #6
pgkcb13's Avatar
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wa. State
Posts: 3,872
My Mood:
Re: Best Green Crib Mattress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavesofgrace View Post
I had a very difficult time finding the right green/non-toxic crib mattress for my daughter. First, my family purchased a $90 one from Target that claimed to be "natural" (I think it was a Sealy). When I removed the plastic wrap, however, I noticed a strong smell and a suspiciously plastic-looking surface. It turns out that the mattress cover was made of toxic vinyl!!

After much searching and debating, we finally bit the bullet and bought a Natural Mat Coco Mat. The mattress interior is comprised of wool and "coir," which is a material made from coconut husks. It is handmade and treated with no chemicals-- only lemon and lavender oil. We also bought the coordinating flannel mattress cover.

One benefit of a natural crib mattress (besides the lack of flame retardants and toxic cover) is you won't find baby dripping with sweat. Since the majority of crib mattresses are wrapped in vinyl (to make them waterproof), this makes babies more prone to overheating. Natural mattresses are far more breathable, which is a big plus!

I am extremely pleased with the quality of our mattress! It is firm enough to be safe, but soft enough to be comfortable. The craftmanship appears to be excellent, with good stitching and very soft fabric. The mattress did have a very faint "hay-like" smell that faded away eventually.

The price really is the only drawback, but you certainly will get your money's worth if you plan to use it through multiple children. In addition, I'd imagine that the resale value is decent and that this mattress, in good condition, could fetch a decent price on Craigslist if need be.

Hope this helps!
We looked at that seally one too, I was so mad b/c the only thing organic about it was the one layer of organic cotton on the inside- under the vinyl- yuck.

Anyway, wanted to add that we have a protective wool cover on our bed and it's great, I just spot clean w/water and vinegar if it's needed and you can put it out in the sun for a bit to refresh it!
__________________
~Kory~
Wife to my best friend; Mama to Beetle 3/12/09, Tiny 7/22/11, and Nugget 4/5/13
CDing, BWing, BFing, ERFing, Non-Vaxing, Co-Sleeping, Crunchy, Thrifty, SAHM!
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:14 AM   #7
OneFishTwoFish's Avatar
OneFishTwoFish
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,644
My Mood:
Re: Best Green Crib Mattress?

Yes! I saw the Sealy one too!

Funny you should mention the Coco Mat, I've been debating between the Coco Mat and a Naturepedic mattress. I just hate how I can't see and touch them before ordering. But you may just have swayed me!
__________________
~Krissy
Wife to Bob, and mommy to Ben and Matt. Love my boys!
OneFishTwoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:22 AM   #8
unfadingcolors's Avatar
unfadingcolors
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 848
Re: Best Green Crib Mattress?

We have an organic cotton/wool mattress, no waterproof plastic on it. I can't find where I bought it right now, I'll keep trying. It was a decently priced one, made by the Amish in Ohio.

We use a wool puddle pad on it, have never had any problems with it getting dirty or needing cleaned. I was hesitant to buy the waterproof ones because I thought it might not let the skin breathe as well as the wool/cotton
__________________
Mama to water baby Diedrich, born 4-19-10 at home.
I sew bold & beautiful wool interlock soakers! See my shop here http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1428054
unfadingcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:28 AM   #9
OneFishTwoFish's Avatar
OneFishTwoFish
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,644
My Mood:
Re: Best Green Crib Mattress?

Now, could the baby be allergic to the wool in the mattress? I mean, I kind of assumed since it would be covered with a sheet it's not an issue, but my FIL was just asking me.

Also, the wool does not get funky over time? I think I am still a little brainwashed that crib mattresses should be waterproof and that means plastic...but I don't want the plastic/vinyl! lol

I'm going to show the Coco Mat to DH when he wakes up later. I found it at mystrollers.com for $299 and I get like 3 or 5% back through ebates. Was going to pay $274 for the Naturepedic through Amazon so it's no longer focusing on which is more expensive.
__________________
~Krissy
Wife to Bob, and mommy to Ben and Matt. Love my boys!
OneFishTwoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:43 AM   #10
wavesofgrace's Avatar
wavesofgrace
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 168
Re: Best Green Crib Mattress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFishTwoFish View Post
Now, could the baby be allergic to the wool in the mattress? I mean, I kind of assumed since it would be covered with a sheet it's not an issue, but my FIL was just asking me.

Also, the wool does not get funky over time? I think I am still a little brainwashed that crib mattresses should be waterproof and that means plastic...but I don't want the plastic/vinyl! lol

I'm going to show the Coco Mat to DH when he wakes up later. I found it at mystrollers.com for $299 and I get like 3 or 5% back through ebates. Was going to pay $274 for the Naturepedic through Amazon so it's no longer focusing on which is more expensive.
Wow! That's a great deal on the Coco Mat! I love Ebates!!!

We have had our crib mattress for about one year, and it's in perfect condition-- no funkiness at all! If you're concerned about the waterproofing, definitely add the Natural Mat mattress protector to your purchase. It does have a very thin layer of polyurethane between the flannel layers, and this adds an extra layer of protection. I was a little nervous about the polyurethane, but it does not "off gas" like vinyl, and the layer is extremely thin. That, or a wool piddle pad should help keep any moisture from seeping into the mattress.

Also, keep in mind that wool has natural antimicrobial properties!

Regarding the wool allergy, that is a risk. But, if wool allergies don't run in your family, I'd say that the chances of such an allergy in your little one are slim. Even in the worst case scenario, you probably could sell the mattress on Craigslist or at a children's consignment shop and get a significant portion of your money back.

Let me know if you order it! I think you'll be quite pleased!
__________________
Wife to my best friend, L Proud, first-time mama to lively toddler, E (2/10)

wavesofgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.