Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #11
bcafe
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Best Green Crib Mattress?

We got our crib mattress through Organic Grace. It is a really nice, heavy duty mattress. Very reasonably priced too! I used a coupon code that I found online to bring the price down.
http://organicgrace.com/node/85

Advertisement

Old 05-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #12
unfadingcolors
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFishTwoFish View Post
Now, could the baby be allergic to the wool in the mattress? I mean, I kind of assumed since it would be covered with a sheet it's not an issue, but my FIL was just asking me.

Also, the wool does not get funky over time? I think I am still a little brainwashed that crib mattresses should be waterproof and that means plastic...but I don't want the plastic/vinyl! lol

I'm going to show the Coco Mat to DH when he wakes up later. I found it at mystrollers.com for $299 and I get like 3 or 5% back through ebates. Was going to pay $274 for the Naturepedic through Amazon so it's no longer focusing on which is more expensive.
Well if your child is allergic to wool then there could be a reaction - DS is fine with wool, we use wool soakers and the mattress.

It really doesn't get funky! You should protect it with a puddle pad just in case your child has an accident or gets sick in the crib though. Wool has amazing anti-microbial properties. Also, it doesn't get dust mites!!
Old 05-23-2011, 10:37 AM   #13
unfadingcolors
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcafe View Post
We got our crib mattress through Organic Grace. It is a really nice, heavy duty mattress. Very reasonably priced too! I used a coupon code that I found online to bring the price down.
http://organicgrace.com/node/85
that looks great, similar to the one we have
Old 05-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #14
sonshinemama
Registered Users
seller

What options are there if you just can't afford those?

Swagbucks - Let's earn together!
sonshinemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #15
greenbabymomma
Registered Users
seller

The coco mat is awesome! I was able to see/touch it in a local eco friendly shop. It was our first choice, so we started saving (it was our only large purchase besides the diaper stash and carseat). Then we found the Pebble organic and fell in love. It is super expensive, but we justified it by siting the amount we were saving by cloth diapering, breastfeeding, and not purchasing a stroller, infant carseat, high chair, swing, pack-and-play, or other unnecessary baby frivolity (for us, at least). Its water resistant cover zips off and is machine washable. You can purchase extra covers ($$$$) as well. It is amazing. Hendrix only sleeps really well (ie more than an hour or so) on the mattress, in a carrier, or on top if us (see avi). We planned on cosleeping, but he is much more comfortable on his Pebble so our mattress and his are next to each other on the floor. Our system works great for us. The Pebble also has raised bumps (or pebbles) that facilitate air flow and further prevent a sweaty baby. What we also considered was the Alma coco mat. It is made for a mini crib, so if your baby is going from crib/bassinet to a toddler bed or your bed, that might be an option. It is under $200 on Amazon.
greenbabymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:59 AM   #16
OneFishTwoFish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all your help mamas! I ended up going with the Natural MAt Coco Mat with the flannel cover. Can't wait to get it!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:43 PM   #17
chrissyb0411
Registered Users

I bought a Naturepedic crib mattress for my son when he was born. It's not cheap but it's worth peace of mind.
chrissyb0411 is offline   Reply With Quote