Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
amberdawn723
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
ECing & fitteds with snaps.....maybe not the best idea

Okay, I started ECing today and I'm now pretty convinced using fitteds and covers is not the easiest way to do this.....especially ones with snaps. It's easier to whip off a dipe that's aplix and it's easier to whip off a 1-piece dipe.

So, I'm wondering if I should sell all of my fitteds (or at least the ones with snaps ((but keep my nighttime fitteds))) and replace them with aios. I know you can just do fitteds coverless, but I prefer using covers at least for now.

So aios would make the most sense, right? And getting snaps undone while walking/standing is not the easiest thing to do. So I'm almost certain I'm going to sell all my dipes with snaps even the aios/pockets. I can already tell we're using slightly less diapers with ECing...since I've been able to keep her in the same dipe longer since it stays dry. So, maybe I won't even have to replace some of the fitteds I sell! I am loving this ECing more and more! Less mess, more savings, happier baby, no rashes, the list goes on and on!

And it's only day 1 and we've caught like 6 poos and 4 pees! I am amazed at how we've (my self included) fooled ourselves for so long in thinking that babies can't control their bowels. Just amazed.....

Advertisement

Gwendolyn (due 7-6-15)
amberdawn723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
NooneeWilga
Registered Users

Re: ECing & fitteds with snaps.....maybe not the best idea

How old is your daughter? Before you sell off all your fitteds, try using them without a cover. That makes one less thing to have to deal with.

I'd highly recommend including training pants in your new purchases. They are sooo easy to pull down and up again for potty opportunities. Yes, it does take a leap of courage to begin using training pants instead of dipes, but most EC families, once they begin using trainers, wish that they had started with them earlier :-)
NooneeWilga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
amberdawn723
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mama! My DD is 9 weeks old. I may keep some of the fitteds, but a majority are snaps and I think I'm just gonna sell those. I'm catching almost every poo (or you could say I am catching every poo since sometimes she just barely poos in the dipe and then when I put her on the toilet she really goes) and I'm catching maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of the pees....but they're harder to judge as her dipes feel barely wet sometimes...and sometimes she pees in the toilet when she poos and other times she doesn't. Regardless...we are definitely using less diapers and she is staying mostly dry even through naps which is amazing to me. I'll look into training pants...but isn't 9 weeks still a bit young for those?
Gwendolyn (due 7-6-15)
Old 05-21-2011, 01:37 AM   #4
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had fitted - but no snaps - loved the fitted because I could use them without the cover - but every EC journey is different so if you don't like them then I say switch
Old 05-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #5
lak1
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberdawn723 View Post
Okay, I started ECing today and I'm now pretty convinced using fitteds and covers is not the easiest way to do this.....especially ones with snaps. It's easier to whip off a dipe that's aplix and it's easier to whip off a 1-piece dipe.
Yes, I have also decided that I don't like snaps because they are so hard to snap together - not only do you need to set the baby down and to use two hands but you need to get your fingers underneath and on top of the snap at the same time. I know supposedly Velcro/Aplix wear out faster than snaps but I'm willing to take that risk for the convenience.

Quote:
So, I'm wondering if I should sell all of my fitteds (or at least the ones with snaps ((but keep my nighttime fitteds))) and replace them with aios. I know you can just do fitteds coverless, but I prefer using covers at least for now.
Before you sell your fitteds, I would really encourage you to try going coverless. I used to think that I would like AIOs as well but the problem is that you can't tell if your baby is wet. I now have my baby go coverless and find it much easier. Actually, I don't even like to use fitteds anymore because you still need to snap or Snappi them. The easiest thing I have found is to use a prefold belt (I actually bought baby tights for my baby to make leggings and I found that the elastic waistband worked perfectly as a diaper belt!) and to slip a prefold between the baby's legs. The larger the prefold, the easier because it stays tucked into the belt and can't slip out. It doesn't look pretty but it is the most convenient because when you take the baby to potty, you simply slip out the prefold in the front while it is still held up in the back with the belt. It is equally easy to tuck it back in with the baby in your lap (rather than having to take him to the changing table).

I only put on covers at night (and even then he is dry most of the time, even through long 9 hour stretches - my baby is 14 weeks by the way), and I use AIOs when I'm out of the house, so some AIOs are helpful but yes, I would support you selling all the snaps if you hate them like I do

Hope this is helpful.
lak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

kids stretchy headbands work well too for those prefold belts - they just need to be washed every now and then as the can get loose with wear.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
amberdawn723
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies. I don't have any prefolds and don't plan on getting any (sold my newborn ones a while back). I've decided I'm going to sell all my snap fitteds/aios/pockets...everything with snaps! But I'm keeping the few fitteds with aplix (though I only have 4) and going to use them while at home coverless.....but mainly I'll be using aios/pockets since I already have lots of them in aplix.

As far as trainers are concerned......what recommendations do you have for them and when did you start using them? Are they more for when baby is big enough to sit/crawl? Baby's only 9 weeks old...I'm using timing and holding her over the toilet. I really want to see about getting a potty chair too.....Are there any good potty seats that you set on the toilet that are small enough? And are there any that fold up to carry in a diaper bag? I'd love to have one of those for when she's bigger.

Sorry for so many questions.....
Gwendolyn (due 7-6-15)
Old 05-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
NooneeWilga
Registered Users

Quote:
I'll look into training pants...but isn't 9 weeks still a bit young for those?
The purpose of training pants is to catch accidents and you change as soon as they are wet or soiled.
In general, the purpose of dipes is to hold urine and you change every few hours or when they are soiled.

So if you change out her diaper as soon as it is wet, then you might like to try training pants - they are
* trimmer,
* easier to pull down and up,
* less bulky in the wash and
* dry faster.

That said, for a 9 week old, I'd be inclined to mostly use prefolds and a belt. Good luck with your stash modification - just make sure that you have items that work for you!
NooneeWilga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:17 AM   #9
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There is someone on here that changes her kiddos to undies at like 6 weeks, so it wouldn't be unheard of - I switch to undies as soon as they can walk. GL mama!
Old 05-25-2011, 04:34 AM   #10
babywearing_mama
Registered Users

I love fitteds with snaps for backup when ec'ing. We leave dd in just the diaper no cover when at home. I've used prefolds and a belt too. Everyone has their own preference tho and it will make a difference for you to use whatever you find easiest.

I don't have to set baby down to snap up a diaper. I agree with Lak1, Aio's will be hard to tell if your litltle one is wet and you will have to remove the diaper to check. Also with the stay dry feeling of some Aio's you may miss smaller pees. My ec baby will pee just a bit if i miss her cue and then she expects to finish in the toilet .
babywearing_mama is offline   Reply With Quote