Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-25-2011, 03:06 PM   #11
smilingjessica
Registered Users
seller

Re: ECing & fitteds with snaps.....maybe not the best idea

We didn't start till DS was 5 months and I found that I loved fitteds with snaps. I had used fitteds with velcro, but once DS started to crawl that rubbed his legs, so I switched to snaps and those were great for us. I thought they unsnapped fast and I could snap them on while he was standing too, he hated laying down to put a diaper on.
I also kept with cotton, so DS would feel it and it's more natural.

Advertisement

smilingjessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:39 PM   #12
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

There are so many ups and downs on the baby potty training journey that what's working perfectly now may not work even two weeks from now. Ladybug went through stages where she was not at all interested in EC (we went through a couple of horrid weeks where I put her in sposies because she would not poop in the toilet, but would wait till the diaper was back on and go, this was around the time that she started crawling ).

That's why I love flats or prefolds. These can be worn coverless or with a cover and there's no need to switch from one system to another. I prefer wool wrap covers with snaps for the pre-walking stage, but that's only because I like the logevity of snaps vs velcro (we'd love to have many children so all my dipes are bought with long term useage in mind). But, I just ordered a prefold belt (new concept to me, but makes perfect sense!) and plan on using that over my wool covers when I need a cover and directly over the flat when we go coverless.

Maybe rather than selling your stash of fitteds, if they work well otherwise why not just try keeping them snapped only on one snap on each side or try keeping it sinched with a prefold belt? The baby isn't mobile yet and that way you can just wait a little while and see how things go as time goes on.
ltlmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #13
eedw9
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlmrs View Post
There are so many ups and downs on the baby potty training journey that what's working perfectly now may not work even two weeks from now.

That's why I love flats or prefolds. These can be worn coverless or with a cover and there's no need to switch from one system to another.

I agree with this. Even within the immobile phase I find that I like different types at different times and for different reasons... although prefolds are generally my favorite.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #14
amberdawn723
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all of your advice ladies.
I've sold basically all of my dipes with snaps in preference for aplix. And I'm now trying to restash with more aplix fitteds.....which seem to be harder to come by. So far we're really ecing part-time as I'm finding it difficult to do all the time, but I'm sure it's helpful in any amount that we can do. It seems I'm going through more dipes as I've been more aware of her wetting them and more frequently checking her dipe....trying to keep her dry. And with fitteds it really is easier to tell. I'd really like to get some more thirsties fab fitteds....they fit her really well and are easy on/off. I haven't tried the duos. I wonder if they'd fit her as well.....
Gwendolyn (due 7-6-15)
amberdawn723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:02 PM   #15
Emberly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I personally would try to keep the AIO/pocket usage low, because they can't really feel when they pee as good as with a prefold/fitted/trainer. You definitely want her to feel when she's wet.
Emberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:12 AM   #16
mummy2monkey
Registered Users

We use the toilet and have a baby bjorn little potty for the car, and take it in the stroller when we go out. I wouldn't encourage the potty if your baby is fine using the toilet. It's just an extra thing to clean.
mummy2monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:14 AM   #17
mummy2monkey
Registered Users

I agree that snap diapers are annoying too. I use those during times I think she might pee eg if I take her to the toilet before a meal and she refuses to pee, and I know she is going to be in the high chair for a while.
mummy2monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #18
burgler
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We use snap fitteds and like them. I prefer the thin WAHM flannel ones that only barely hold a pee and I can feel it when he starts to pee. We also go coverless. He has a bulky diaper at night and a wool cover, but almost always wakes up dry.

I made a prefold belt, but am too nervous about missing the runny EBF poos to use it. Any tips from those who do use it?
Old 07-31-2011, 10:45 PM   #19
NooneeWilga
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler View Post
We use snap fitteds and like them. I prefer the thin WAHM flannel ones that only barely hold a pee and I can feel it when he starts to pee. We also go coverless. He has a bulky diaper at night and a wool cover, but almost always wakes up dry.

I made a prefold belt, but am too nervous about missing the runny EBF poos to use it. Any tips from those who do use it?
When you fold the prefold, roll the edges so that it forms a type of rim on the inside - a fabric gusset, if you will. I vaguely recall someone mentioning a "newspaper fold" so you might find images for that??
NooneeWilga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:16 AM   #20
kathryngraces
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler View Post

I use the "angle wings" fold and a belt, and don't have any problems (so far) with poops running out. My only complaint about it so far is that, since there is somewhat less fabric under the baby's bottom than when the prefold is folded in thirds, poop juice sometimes soaks through before I can get baby on the potty. Still, that's better than getting poop everywhere... And it's an additional sign for me, in case I'm *really* not paying attention!
kathryngraces is offline   Reply With Quote