Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
BreakDanzer
Banned
seller

Help! Eczema on the crease of baby's leg :(

DD is 15 months old. When she was 6 months old she got a rash on her leg, right near/where the diaper hits (her leg crease, I guess). Doc said it was a yeast infection. Used a clortrimazole cream, it seemed to go away. A dark patch stayed behind, however, not so much a scar, just skin discoloration. Every once in a while it would look a little inflamed, I'd put the yeast medication on it again, all good.

Well, last few days that spot got ugly. All red and raised. She had a well-baby visit today, this doc looked at it and said eczema. Use cortisone cream. She's never had eczema any where else before...so does this sound right? Any thoughts on how to keep it at bay? I use RnG Bare Naked Babies and wash dipes on sanitize cycle.

I am at a complete loss here.

Advertisement

BreakDanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:15 AM   #2
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help! Eczema on the crease of baby's leg :(

Was it the same doc? I'm surprised it wasn't yeast again...
Without seeing it, here's my initial thought:
If it were me, I would use the yeast treatment with the cortisone...then you'll probably take care of it whatever it is.

If that doesn't work or gets worse, I'd go back to the doctor...

Although, sometimes they can get some irritation in their creases w/o it being yeast, I use medicated powder (Johnson's cornstarch and zinc oxide) at every diaper change to absorb moisture. It doesn't affect the diapers and it helps keep everything clear.
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:33 AM   #3
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

My son has excema in the same spot. Stripping diapers is not going to help it is an inflammation not a reaction from build up.

Most times a steroid cream is the treatment. Other things such as radical diet changes can help.

But it is not really treatable, rather managable, my husband has had it his whole life as well. It flares up and cools down but never goes away.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:34 AM   #4
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

Also do not ever put powder on excema, that makes it much much worse, as do any perfumed products. If it is excema it means your baby has very senstive skin you may need to remove all parfumed products and even change your wash soaps as those can all aggravate it.

But never use talc or cornstarch on excema. Being too drying it also causes flare ups.

You can find loads of info online about excema.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
BreakDanzer
Banned
seller

Thank you ladies. Good idea about tag-teaming it with both the yeast meds and hydro-cortisone. It looks a lot better this morning, thankfully. She doesn't seem bothered by it at all, which is baffling to me, because it looks like it would itch like crazy!

Oh, and it was two different doctors.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I totally agree, if it's eczema don't use powder on it, it will only dry it out more...
however, depending on how confident you are in your doc's diagnosis...you may have to try a few things...I'll give a little more explanation, I'm only saying that b/c of my personal experience w/DS, we saw a different doc (over the course of his first year) every time we went for a well baby check up, or a flare up, or whatever, I always asked about his diaper area, and got a different diagnosis every time...for us if it was an irritation in the crease, usually powder helped, if it was a dry scaly patch, usually cortisone helped it. But the doc called it something different every time, sometimes it was eczema, sometimes it was dermatitis, sometimes they just said "all babies have weird skin."
Good luck!
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
MNclothdiaperin'Momma
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskamum View Post
I totally agree, if it's eczema don't use powder on it, it will only dry it out more...
however, depending on how confident you are in your doc's diagnosis...you may have to try a few things...I'll give a little more explanation, I'm only saying that b/c of my personal experience w/DS, we saw a different doc (over the course of his first year) every time we went for a well baby check up, or a flare up, or whatever, I always asked about his diaper area, and got a different diagnosis every time...for us if it was an irritation in the crease, usually powder helped, if it was a dry scaly patch, usually cortisone helped it. But the doc called it something different every time, sometimes it was eczema, sometimes it was dermatitis, sometimes they just said "all babies have weird skin."
Good luck!
This....plus eczema= atopic dermatitis, so maybe that's what the doctors where saying. It's not fun when babies get rashes. Both of my kids have different degrees of eczema, both have different treatments. Main goal is to keep the skin moisturized. Good luck and hope something works out. If it sticks around, maybe get a trip to dermatology? They should be able to better tell you how to treat it
& DS (4/13/12)

MNclothdiaperin'Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #8
Mom22Boys2005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That sounds like eczema to me. Two of my three have it, and it does leave almost scar looking places, but more like a discolored scar. My son has major flare ups, and we use Ellidel (steroids) to deal with it. FWIW, treating it with a cream, definitely seems to make the discoloration "scars" worse, so I try not to treat it that way if I can help it. He uses lots of lotion and take allergy pills, which seem to help more than anything. It is definitely an allergy related issue. My DD is only 17 months and hers is less severe (for now, DS was less severe as a baby too....his has gotten worse as he has aged) so I dont treat her at all with a cream. I use lotion after baths, and just ignore it otherwise. Her is just a couple of tiny spots on her trunk and one behind her knee. They come and go, but I just think babies are too young for steroid creams.

If it IS eczema, I'm sure it has nothing to do with your diapers. Try treatment with just a good expensive lotion (Lubriderm or Cetaphil, Aveeno). I'd reserve the hydrocortisone for bigger flare ups, later, if that happens. And they have prescription creams as well. You might also see if some sort of allergy meds help when she is older. Some kids outgrow it completely.
Mom22Boys2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #9
BreakDanzer
Banned
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskamum View Post
sometimes they just said "all babies have weird skin."
Good luck!
lol...that's when I want to smack a doctor! Our doc yesterday made several comments that made me stare him straight in the face and wonder "did he actually go to medical school??"

DD doesn't have an allergies...that we've found. She will eat almost anything, has never (besides the diaper are on the leg) had a rash. She HAS had a staph infection. At 6 months she had little pimples that just didn't look right. Took her to doctor, and that doc was the one who initially said yeast infection. For some reason, my gut really liked her. lol So part of me worries that even though her little staph pimples have all disappeared, this rash could be some how related.

For now, I am using the cream, but I also have some California Baby Calendula cream that works wonders on my dry, itchy, rash prone skin. Cam was adopted, so knowing her medical history is would be really helpful right about now.