Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
mommajenn13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How to stop pumping at work, but still feed at home...

We've hit 12 months and I'm so thrilled! I have milk stockpiled in the freezer, and I'm okay with DS starting cow's milk while I'm at work. My question is, how do I stop pumping at work and still have enough milk to feed on the weekends or when I'm off? Or is it even possible? I feed DS last at around 4:30am, then I get home and feed around 4:00pm. I cut down to only pumping once a day for around 15-20 minutes recently. I still have a letdown around 10am. DS still eats a lot during the night, and at least twice if not 3 times when I'm home in the afternoons/evenings. On the weekends he eats when he wakes up, before his (two) naps and after his naps, then his normal schedule after 4pm (just like during the week).

So as you can see, he eats a LOT during the day while I'm home. I think some of it is just comfort, he just loves to nurse, which is fine! But is it possible to not pump for ~12 hours during the weekdays and still be able to satisfy him on teh weekends? I don't want to stop nursing anytime soon, so I don't want to stop pumping if it's going to reduce our nursing months. But I am SOOO over pumping at work. I actually haven't pumped the past 3 days and have just fed him at 3:30pm, and I already don't feel as full and am afraid of decreasing my supply too much! TIA

Advertisement

Old 05-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
lovemygirlseques
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to stop pumping at work, but still feed at home...

I did this and it's working out just fine!
I actually waited until DD was 16 months old to stop pumping. I was home over the Christmas holiday, and didn't pump, and then I think I just was busy that first day back at work and didn't pump for some reason. I was down to pumping about once a day, and not really getting much anyway. I nurse in the morning before getting ready for work, and as soon as I am in the door she is on me, pulling my shirt up. I think as long as you continue to nurse on demand when you are home you will be fine.

Good Luck! It really is so freeing to not be bringing that pump with me to the office, but I do miss my breaks sometimes.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
carrie_girl
Registered Users
seller

With DD #1 I did exactly what you are describing. When she turned 1, I stopped pumping at work but continued to nurse her when we were together. It worked out perfectly, and I always had enough milk to satisfy her when we were together. If you are down to one pump already, it won't be much of a transition. Enjoy your new freedom from the pump!
carrie_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
jenbo
Registered Users

Go for it, give it a try because you can always bring your supply back up if it's not working out the way you wanted.
jenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:10 AM   #5
Selene
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It can totally be done...your supply is pretty well established by now and going without pumping is unlikely to hurt it. I stopped pumping at a year...wow, was it great to put the PISA in the closet and not have to wash all those stupid parts anymore! A lot of mamas don't nurse at night for many hours and then nurse in the day with no issues, so think of it like that. I don't feel as full as I used to but DS seems to be getting plenty of milk and sometimes I drink a little Mother's Milk tea if he is really nursing a lot (like right now that his molars are coming in ). He did seem to reverse cycle a bit and still nurses a lot at night and when I am home. He doesn't really drink much cow's milk during the day, so don't be surprised if your LO doesn't. He just drinks water and then guzzles boobie milk when I get home from work!
Old 05-24-2011, 09:28 AM   #6
mommajenn13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yayy thank you ladies!! You made me feel a lot better. Today will be my first day without pumping (I wasn't going to pump yesterday, but I was stuck wearing a sports bra and knew I'd leak through it!). Today is also his birthday! Happy 1 year baby!

I still have quite a bit of milk in the freezer and he drinks fine out of a sippy. He was already down to only one or two bottles during the day while I'm gone, and eats a ton when I'm home, so I think we'll be good. He does like cows milk, so I'm going to buy some today to mix in with the BM so it can last longer!
Old 05-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
alison_says
Registered Users

This was very timely for me to read - I'm in the same spot and was about to post a very similar question. Thanks for asking (and thank you to everyone for their advice to you)!
alison_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
mommajenn13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Don't know if anyone is still around but I wanted to update!

It has gone great. I stopped pumping at work cold turkey since I was already only pumping once. I feed ds in the am, and as soon as I pick him up. I still have plenty of milk in the pm and at night. He still nurses the same amount, but he eats more food during the day. He is off bottles, drinking water and milk from a sippy. I'm not really sure how much milk he gets during the day with daddy, but i think only about 4 oz. So I make sure he still nurses a lot to get his milk in. He does eat yogurt often so I'm not worried.

Now that he's eating regular food, my supply seems to be fine on the weekends. I'm sure it's less than what it was while I was pumping, but I haven't really noticed a difference. Ds nurses in the mornings before breakfast, before nap, before lunch, before his next nap, and pretty much whenever else he wants to. I'm sure lots is for comfort, so the milk aspect isn't as big as I was thinking it would be. I do leak some on Monday and Tuesday after being home for the weekend, but nothing terrible.

All in all, it's amazing what your body can do! I have never trusted my body as much as I do right now. It has been stress and pain free, and I'm looking forward to a long nursing relationship, no longer tied to a pump! Woohoo! I can't believe I was stressing so badly about this before.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:26 AM   #9
Mamma527
Registered Users
seller
seller

That's great. We are getting close to weaning off bottles at daycare (about a month or two of pumping left, woo hoo!!) it's good to know I should still be able to nurse him during the day the other days.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:54 PM   #10
mommajenn13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamma527
That's great. We are getting close to weaning off bottles at daycare (about a month or two of pumping left, woo hoo!!) it's good to know I should still be able to nurse him during the day the other days.
Good luck! You should be fine!