Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Registered Users
Latching issue

Hey momma's, I just had my baby and he is 6 days old and we are having some latching issues, but only on one breast. I can get him to latch on my right breast like nothing, and there is no pain no nothing and it's enjoyable. But when it's time to latch on my left it's not very nice at all I have gotten a blister and a crack which is now healed for the most part but I am looking for some tips, tricks or advice! When he latches on i experience some pain all the way through the feeding and when he comes off the nipple is kind of flat and white. If anyone out there has some they will be greatly appreciated. I am so ready to quit, and need any help I can get.

Chadtelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Latching issue

Sorry that the one side is painful! One option would be to only nurse on the right side, but that's a little extreme. Try holding him in the same way on both sides. Like, if you cradle hold on the right, football hold on the left so that he isn't on his other side.
Mama to K, June '07, and T, born Dec '10.
MariaLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
Registered Users

Can you see a lactation consultant? I saw one multiple times for my issues (latch was one of many problems) and it was totally helpful.

The other option (though it is controversial) is to try using a silicone nipple shield. They are a PITA but it may help him "get it" on that side, and then you can wean him from it. Plus it will protect your sore nipple for a little while so that it can heal.

The nipple shield helped me when my LO wouldn't latch well on one side. When he got a little bigger and more experienced then he didn't need it anymore. My son was a preemie and I am convinced that a lot of his issues were related to him being early and small.

Best of luck! If you want some more info about nipple shields I can try to help but I am by no means an expert.
Aydinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

My lactation consultant said that this problem could be due to birth "trauma". That didn't necessarily mean something huge either. A lot of things were a very quick pushing stage of labor, or very long. Not being in the exact anterior position can cause it, too as well as some more things i can't remember right now. I guess it can push the plates in their head slightly off, and can cause tension on one side. I had this problem, on top of my son being tongue tied. We got it clipped, but for the longest time it still really hurt on the left side. She said we could just wait it out and see what happens, and so I did. It's gone now, and my ds will be 2 mo on the 27th. At least, I think it is. I still have slight twinges when nursing him, because of the tongue tie, but the "pain" is equal now.

What you can do which my LC said helps a ton is craniosacral Therapy. It's very non-invasive and can realign things. hth
mommy2jasmine is offline   Reply With Quote