Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-20-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
turbogirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

Cosleeping / bed sharing in a full size bed?

We're purchasing a new mattres and dh insists on a full size bed and no bigger. Anyone successfully bed share in a full? LO is only 4 mos and I can't imagine this being a comfortable arrangement much longer. We'd like to bed share until around 3 or 4.

Advertisement

Old 05-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cosleeping / bed sharing in a full size bed?

Wow, I can barely sleep in a full with just DH - I usually kick him out!

A full size bed is the same size as 2 crib mattresses pushed next together, and then lengthened. So each person essentially has a crib mattress to sleep on if it's being used for 2 people. So I guess if you'd be able to share a crib with your LO, you could cosleep in a full.

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
AngelTV83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Dh and I shared a full with dd until she was 2, dh has wore the primer off the wall from sleeping more on the wall then the bed. It can be done but it is not fun in any way shape or form.

Due May 2013
AngelTV83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
*LizziesLoops*
Registered Users
Formerly: angelami4
seller
seller

My Mood:

I can't imagine cosleeping in a full size bed...DH and I can barely fit in my dad's full size bed...It's incredibly tight and uncomfy with DDs are in there too...I'd suggest at least a queen...It's not a huge difference in size really but it makes a world of difference in comfort when adding a baby to the bed. Personally I prefer a King but we just couldn't afford it when we replaced our mattress at the beginning of the year. The queen works well enough for our needs. I'd suggest taking DH and LO with you and going to a mattress store and all 3 of you lay down on your BACKS to show DH how tight it will be to have a family bed with a full size bed. Then do the same thing in a Queen size bed so he can feel the difference. He may not realize how tight the fit will be having all 3 of you on a full size bed...especially as your LO gets older and larger.
~Amy Eddie: Heather (1/7/2007), Mikayla (11/4/2009), an angel baby (3/29/11), and Michael Edward(3/22/12) We are now expecting baby #4 in January 2014!!!

*LizziesLoops* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
lilangel8185
Registered Users
seller

its not very comfortable! we have a full and most of the time either our 3 or 4 yr old ends up sleepin in our bed along with the baby whos 6mo, belive me it gets really crowded, but it can be done though.
lilangel8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
themaelane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My husband gave up in our full and slept downstairs on the couch. Sucked. None of us were getting any sleep though, so it was our only choice.

We just got a king (a week ago!) And I don't know what to do with all the space! I used to hate DHs snoring but now I just love having all of us here.
ISO: NB covers/fitteds, flats, wool, 'big sister' stuff for a 4YO girl.
themaelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #7
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

I can't even imagine trying that, it would be way too tight for me. I wish our king was bigger! And it's hard for me to sleep well when we share a queen at MIL's house. I'm not a very snuggly sleeper, though.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:54 PM   #8
Selene
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Why does your DH insist on a full size mattress?
If there is anyway you can talk him into a queen or king size bed, do it! We had a queen and once DS started rolling around it got too crowded...DH ended up on the couch most nights. We finally upgraded to a king size and it is heavenly. Finally we can all sleep together comfortably!
We bought a like new mattress off of CL and just put the mattress on the floor since we don't have the $ for a new king sized frame. But with a crazy acrobatic toddler, it's actually a lot safer and I get more peace of mind having it on the floor so no rush to get a new bed too. Best thing ever. Seriously, when you think about how much time you spend on it, a comfy mattress for your family is well worth the extra cost of a larger one.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:59 PM   #9
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

I went from a king sized to a full sized bed recently. When I had my king sized bed it was for me (single mama) co-sleeping with my 3 older kiddos. When my new DH and I got together we transitioned them to their own beds over a period of time. So it was just me and DH in the king, but my DD1 always made her way there in the middle of the night, but it wasn't an issue as we had the space. We got rid of the king when we moved because the mattress was old and destroyed. My grandfather offered us his brand new mattress that had been sitting in storage for a long time, but it was only a full. We thought, what the heck, it's free! Well, it is so tiny that DH and I barely fit on it together. As soon as DD1 comes in DH leaves the room. Most nights now he just sleeps on the couch from the beginning to save the hassle of musical beds. I can't imagine trying to co-sleep on a full size bed with two adults and even one kid. I'd say at least a queen, maybe even a king if you plan to have more kids in the future!
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:12 PM   #10
turbogirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for all the good feedback, ladies!

PP question about why DH wants a full - he's thrifty (umm, cheap!! but I love him!!) and he sees it as a hassle to have anything larger.

A couple other points - we do bedshare now in our full - it's already cozy and LO is only about 20 lbs and not mobile. The other thing DH thinks is a factor is that we're both relatively small/average size people. I'm 5'3" and medium build and he's 5'10" and medium build.

We are thinking about putting it on the floor to save expense and falling issues, but then I don't know what to put under it?? Our house is from the 20's and just has hardwood on top of the joist things so you can see through the cracks into our dirt basement! Seems like we'd need something to protect the mattress...

I really don't know how to convince him otherwise. He keeps bringing up people in other countries that sleep in tiny spaces... okay - yes, they do. But we don't have to! The cost increase is not that much when you look at the overall expense. Any other ideas on how to sway him??