Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-20-2011, 11:17 PM   #11
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cosleeping / bed sharing in a full size bed?

If you are going to put it on the floor you can always put a twin next to it later as your little one gets bigger and you find you need more room (this will happen before you know it, my DD1 is almost 5 and she takes up as much space as a small adult). As far as what to put underneath it, maybe have a piece of MDF cut to the size of the mattress to put under it? You can even cover it with fabric or something to protect the mattress.

Advertisement

*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:44 AM   #12
mommyinthesun
Registered Users
seller
seller

We have a full.....and a 4 year old *sigh*. It was okay when he was a bitty baby. Its been terrible for the last couple of years and it only gets worse each night. I insisted on replacing our not-so-comfy full mattress 2 yrs ago with yet another full mattress because im a cheap arse and didnt want to have to buy new sheets. I regret it every second of every night! SO yells every night about us needing to move over, I have to remind him that im laying on my side and that DS is a centimeter from falling off the bed. Theres no room. And we are grumpy people because of it.
I will be purchasing a king in a few months!!! The kids will be getting my current bed (for some reason my 9yr old climbs into DS's toddler bed with him and they smoosh that way nightly- until DS comes to our bed ) 2 nights a week my niece sleeps over and so then all 3 of them are in the toddler bed! This is with there being a twin and toddler bed in DS's room and DD having a twin in her room! My kids are extreme co-sleepers

Anyway, tell your DH to suck it up and pay extra for a king bed.

Last edited by mommyinthesun; 05-21-2011 at 12:45 AM.
mommyinthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:01 AM   #13
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did it with my exH and DS. We were in a full for 6 weeks until I moved in with my mom for help. It was tight but what helped is I had an Arm's Reach Co-sleeper right next to the bed. It made it quite easy and I had the space right next to the co-sleeper instead of having to move in few inches so you wouldn't fall off.
kaylabelle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #14
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We upgraded to a queen before DD was born knowing that we would cosleep. We're now spending from savings and getting a king, because NOBODY has been getting any sleep lately. Costco has really good prices on mattresses, our "new" sheets are coming from Goodwill, and the frame is a gigantic wood captain's waterbed frame we got from CL for a steal. It's a 1970s classic dark wood monstrosity, but it'll be SO worth it for the space!
Old 05-22-2011, 08:31 AM   #15
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

We did it but it didn't last long before we had to put the mattress on the floor. DH and I are very small and we were able to cosleep with DD for about 4 months in our full before she fell off one night (she was fine). That's when we had to put the mattress on the floor. I wouldn't ever do it again which is why we just got a queen.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #16
Len27
Registered Users
seller

Hells to the no! Honestly, we are struggling in our queen right now, and it's only doable because I've put a bedrail up on my side of the bed because DS is getting a lot more mobile. For only being 20lbs he sure knows how to spread out! And if DD comes into our bed we're toast- usually DH takes her and they crash in her (double) bed in her room. I would looove a king but we just don't have the bedroom space.
Len27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #17
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

We tried and it was rough. I can't imagine it now that DD is 2. She is all over the bed..sideways, upside down, on top of me LOL I would try to sweet talk your DH into a bigger bed.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #18
Charrey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It depends on how big you both are and how commited to co-sleeping you are honestly. If you are buying a new mattress I really recommend getting a queen.

I coslept with my son and at the time SO (who was a pretty small guy and I have a small frame as well) in a full sized bed for about 9 months, at which point I had to move him into his own bed because I was cramped into one position all night. It can be done but as baby gets bigger it's not at all comfortable. It was comfortable for about 3 months.

We recently upgraded to a queen size bed and wow what a difference it makes and we are not even co-sleeping anymore!!
Charrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #19
Selene
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here are some arguements you could use for DH:
-Cosleeping is safest in a bigger bed with fewer people. When it gets crowded it also becomes less safe.
-You are saving $ by not getting a crib or cosleeper or toddler bed for your LO, why not spend the extra $ on a bigger bed for the family?
-Mention this thread to him and how a lot of the DHs end up on the couch when it gets too corwded!

Also, you can get a very affordable king size mattress on Amazon (we got our memory foam king size there for a fraction of the price in stores and LOVE it), Costco or IKEA. Sheets can be had for cheap (maybe even trade for some?) and you can wait on getting a bed frame. GL! Let us know if you talk him into it!
Old 05-22-2011, 12:38 PM   #20
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I couldn't do it with my dh in the bed too. We got a king before my first was born. I originally had a in the bed cosleeper and it wasn't even close to working with a full and we found a good deal on a king. Even without the co sleeper in the bed a full wouldn't work for co sleeping and dh and I are small. My kids now share the full size bed.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 05-22-2011 at 12:43 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote