Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
greengranny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Group B strep questions

Just want general info of your experiences if you've been positive.

Advertisement

greengranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
greengranny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Bumping for info
greengranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
What exactly? I was postive for my 6th birth (positive very early on, but protocal is if you test positive at any point you get antibiotics)

I had 2 bags of antibiotics 4 hours apart prior to delivery. They like the last bag to be done 2 hours before, but it is not always possible.

My OB does not have a once positive, always positive rule, and I will test this time at 36 weeks. If i am negative i will not need antibiotics.

Untreated gBS at the time of delivery can cause blindness, meningitis or death in the newborn. But if positive at 36 weeks, you may be negative at 40. But not getting antibiotics could put baby at risk.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:35 PM   #4
sbdf13
Registered Users
seller

Re: Group B strep questions

I tested positive did nothing and baby was fine
If you test negative before birth you can still be positive at birth
sbdf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #5
mamaratliff
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I test positive with my first birth at 36 weeks. I received 2 doses of abx, my dd still contracted gbs. She was very very sick with sepsis, and we endured a 12 day nicu stay.

I tested negative for my next 2 births, went ahead and did natural remedies to prevent an infection anyway. Did NOT receive abx for those births, and babies were fine.

In summary, it's nasty business and worth treating. Although I am a firm believer in the natural remedies over the abx. I treat with whole garlic cloves in the week leading up to delivery, and lot's of a probiotic called femdopholis starting around 35 weeks HTH
Old 08-05-2011, 11:48 PM   #6
blairmarie333
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD1 negative
DD2 positive
I was induced. They did abx every 4 hours (did 5 total), left hospital after only 22 hours PP. We were perfectly healthy. My Dr. will not test again and just treat since the complications can be so serious if a false neg comes back.
blairmarie333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:50 PM   #7
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was positive for both of my pregnancies, received 1 bag of antibiotics though only (quick labors, both under 6 hours from start to finish and i both times i was in hospital for 3-4 hours prior to birth, so it's not like I delayed going there.) But in my case since my waters broke so late (25min and 8 min before birth) they didn't consider it to be a major risk and just kept an eye on the baby for 48 hours. Actually with my second i left after 24 hours but went back in for a ped to check her over the next day.

This time I am guessing I am going to positive, but since I am having a HB I won't be getting the ABX. I am just going to use natural remedies and get my baby checked over by my midwife, as well as take them in to another clinic for the first 3 days just to have a second opinion. Firstly, I just don't see that I will get the antibiotics in time, once again, even if I tried to. My midwife has mentioned that another option for me is to start oral ABX for a few weeks before the due date if I would like. Of course it doesn't guarantee anything but it would probably decrease the numbers somewhat. I am still thinking about it, but honestly since last two time my antibiotics were considered insufficient to treat GBS, and my water breaks so late in labour, I am probably just not going to be too worried about it. It is scary and it is one of those things that I worry about, but unless I go into preterm labour, or my water breaks for more than 16 hours without labour starting (very unlikely for me!) I just don't think the risk is high enough to do anything. If i was having a hospital birth I would probably at least try to get the antibiotics, but I haven't yet decided if I will even get tested.

Also, just wanted to let you know that it's no big deal, you just go in, they put an IV in and a bag of abx, it takes 30 mins or so, and generally you can still move around. I had natural births both times and completely fine, no problems.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:13 AM   #8
kristina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was positive with DS2. I was still able to have a water birth. But I had him so fast that they were only able to get one bag of antibiotics in me so we stayed an extra day just to make sure he was okay (which he was)
kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:20 AM   #9
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

DS - negative
DD - I had a UTI early in pregnancy that was caused by GBS so I was considered positive at birth, even though I tested at 37 weeks and was negative.

BUT I had very fast birth, no time for antibiotics (about 2.5 hours, start to finish). I was also in the water, which apparently reduces the risk for transmission. All was/is well...

I did stress a lot about this though. I kept my sugar intake waaaay down while prego, to reduce as much of the risk as possible. I took probiotics and even did a type of cleanse (guided by my naturopath and my midwives) to rid my body of the bacteria, since we pretty much knew there would be no time for antibiotics, even if I wanted them.

My ISO/IHA
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:38 AM   #10
maeus
Registered Users
seller

I tested positive. DS1 I had lots of antibiotics before delivery. He was fine.

DS2- I didn't have antibiotics long enough before my dr broke my water. (Neglectful nurse's fault) About three hours after delivery, DS turned blue and was rushed to the NICU. He had a lung infection, most likely from GBS. He's healthy now at 1.5 years old (higher chance he'll develop asthma because of his treatments while sick), but that was the most heart-wrenching 16 days of my life. He was almost transferred to another hospital for a respirator. His first NICU nurse was so worried about him that she would call to check on him when she went home. I don't take GBS lightly now, and I will definitely be on top of things and micromanaging my l&d nurse when this baby comes.
maeus is offline   Reply With Quote