Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-21-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
hollybabies
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Should I avoid plastic altogether? And why?

If it says BPA free, (I have a 3 month old) should I not use it still because it is plastic? And no tupperware too? Is all plastic bad? And why?

Please help me

Advertisement

Old 05-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
Qbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Should I avoid plastic altogether? And why?

It's not good for us and it's not good for the planet either. Even if it is BPA free, it still has other questionable junk in it. And plastic takes fooorrrrrever (and ever and ever) to break down. My family is not super diligent about being plastic free. Not even close actually. My DS has lots of plastic toys. I want to get rid of most, if not all his plastic toys. But I'm more concerned about stuff that comes in contact with food. I find that there's no need for tupperware. There are so many great glass or stainless steel (among other things) food storage options. It may be a little pricier but it's worth it in my opinion.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
hollybabies
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbit View Post
It's not good for us and it's not good for the planet either. Even if it is BPA free, it still has other questionable junk in it. And plastic takes fooorrrrrever (and ever and ever) to break down. My family is not super diligent about being plastic free. Not even close actually. My DS has lots of plastic toys. I want to get rid of most, if not all his plastic toys. But I'm more concerned about stuff that comes in contact with food. I find that there's no need for tupperware. There are so many great glass or stainless steel (among other things) food storage options. It may be a little pricier but it's worth it in my opinion.

Thanks so much! I didn't realize that all plastic was bad.
I will try to avoid it. So much of what they sell in the store comes in plastic, even things that are supposed to be eco friendly. Go figure....

Thanks again
Old 05-21-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
Greenmtnmama
Registered Users

We try to avoid plastic as much as possible, based on our doctors recommendation. He seems to agree that if its not bpa it will be something else, after all they are all made of oil and oil byproducts. We do have some plastic toys we got as gifts that i havent gotten rid of and some wooden toys that I question the safety of the paints, as many companies say they have safe limits of heavy metals (is any amount safe !?) even the board books that ds gnaws on I worry about bc they are made in china. Its so hard. What can you do really? For Tupperware, we wash and use our glass peanut butter and baby food jars to save money as the glass ones are very expensive.
Greenmtnmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #5
hollybabies
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmtnmama View Post
We try to avoid plastic as much as possible, based on our doctors recommendation. He seems to agree that if its not bpa it will be something else, after all they are all made of oil and oil byproducts. We do have some plastic toys we got as gifts that i havent gotten rid of and some wooden toys that I question the safety of the paints, as many companies say they have safe limits of heavy metals (is any amount safe !?) even the board books that ds gnaws on I worry about bc they are made in china. Its so hard. What can you do really? For Tupperware, we wash and use our glass peanut butter and baby food jars to save money as the glass ones are very expensive.

Great idea! I am all about thrifty these days. I just saved a pasta sauce jar. I guess it is a start
Old 05-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Great job. The first part of trying to become more eco-friendly is questioning the way you've always done things and looking for a better alternative. Aside from ice-cube trays and my blender and coffee maker, my kitchen is plastic free. I have been saving glass jars of all sizes(I try to buy any processed foods I buy in glass only instead of plastic, such as pasta sauce, peanut butter, salsa,etc) and asking my mom to do the same for me. I make a lot of our food from scratch so that does cut down on our plastics as well(ie yogurt, chocolate syrup, etc). I buy our staple pantry goods like rice, beans, lentils, chocolate chips, shredded coconut, etc in bulk from the bins at whole foods and carry them home in cloth bags and dump into large glass jars to store them. Some dry good that I make like crackers and granola also go in the glass jars in the pantry or my cabinets. I don't have any plastic kids' dishes. The girls are 3, 6, and 10 and they have ALWAYS used glass cups and plates and bowls aside from their stainless steel cups(I forgot, they have a small amt of plastic on the cap). When they were too little to keep from throwing plates(probably about 14months and younger????) they would get a small amt of food directly on the table in front of them or be fed soup or such from an adult or sibling's bowl, hence no need for plastic plates or bowls. It's very infrequent but we have had breakage(most times from a little one stretching to reach the kitchen sink to put her dish in and not quite being tall enough to put it in gently) and it's not really a big deal if you use dishes from a thrift store like I do. Obviously I dont' trust a 3 year old with fine china but I like my ecclectic mix of plates and bowls and don't desire fine china. Bowls are all glass or ceramic, most from the thrift store. I use metal spatulas and wooden spoons. My can opener and vegetable peeler are old school metal. I store leftovers in glass jars, mostly recycled food jars, some mason jars. My girls bring their lunches to school in glass containers or homemade cloth snack bags. nothing fancy, very low budget. I'm not a super hippie, I just don't like plastic. Glass and metal and wood are prettier and better for us. You can't completely avoid plastic but you can get pretty far from most of it. We have very simple toys here. Wooden blocks, wooden kitchen set, cloth or knit play food, coloring supplies, dolls and wooden cradle and doll clothing, etc. They spend a ton of time outside and they own very little, just like I do. THINGS aren't really important. They dont' play with many toys anyway other than their dolls/stuffed animals, dress-up clothing and playsilks, and the comforters on their beds. They do a lot of imagining and don't play with actual toys much so why have STUFF in my home that doesn't get use???

Do you have any things that you don't know how to replace? Anything you need help brainstorming about???
Old 05-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
greenbabymomma
Registered Users
seller

Even BPA free plastics leach harmful chemicals. Heating plastic releases chemicals. Any scratch or damage to plastic also releases chemicals. Exposure to sunlight causes plastics to begin the degradation process and the plastic/chemicals end up in the contents of the container (liquid or otherwise). Have you ever left a bottle of water in your car and noticed later that the plastic seemed thinner? That's because it leached into the water, and you drank it. Ew. We try our best to avoid plastic. Especially for the infant/toddler stage when everything ends up in the mouth, we are pretty strict with toys. I have made most of Hendrixs toys for him and will continue to do so until he has specific interests I might not be able to accommodate. I love stainless and glass. For cheap (and durable) Tupperware we use small stainless pots and pans I found at yard sales or thrift stores with broken handles, or I broke off the handle, and use reusable cloth covers. This way the Tupperware can take a tumble without breaking or causing a potential hazard.
greenbabymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:15 PM   #8
BabyD'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Greenbabymomma, where do you get your cloth tupperware covers?
Old 05-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #9
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyD'sMommy View Post
Greenbabymomma, where do you get your cloth tupperware covers?
I've not tried these personally but they look great. She's a DS mama and I hear RAVE reviews abotu her stuff:

http://hyenacart.com/rebelTLCs/index.php?viewall=1
Old 05-23-2011, 08:10 AM   #10
fiestyfish
Registered Users
seller

bpa is one of the thousands of plasticizers added to plastic to make it more desireable like softer, harder, bendy etc the problem is that these chemicals leach out of plastic when wet, heated, washed, used and into your baby's formula, food etc etc
ALL plastics leach these chemicals to a different degree. Some that are bpa free are worse than bpa. More research is being done but there have been several recent studies showing that all plastic leaches.
The chemicals that leak are a problem because the molecule look exactly like an estrogen molecule and can disrupt and mess with your endocrine system by mimicing the estrogen in your body. you edicrine system tells your body how and when to grow and reproduce cells which in growing children is very important. I think adding more estrogen to a young boy has the potential to do some real damage. The book "Plastic a toxic love affair" has some interesting info on the estrogenic effects on animals and preemies hooked up to plastic tube etc in the nicu
number 7 and vinyl, polyurothane foam are the worst

since i have a little boy and a chemisty background i have decided to go pretty radical but i have done it slowly for money and because its hard!
we use
glass baby bottles/sippys or stainless steel (new pura kind are all stainless)
glass storage- vintage pyrex and canning jars and a few glass lock and lock
real plates and cups for everyone
real stainless child sized silverware
mostly wood toys or cotton etc (this is by far the hardest! how do you have a plastic free kiddy pool?
converting to mostly wool covers (pul is plastic so is fleece- but i love my bfelt covers!)
in the toy area most containers are wood
wool cover on his bed for leaks
organic matteress
avoid plastic when shopping for food as much as possible- jars, bulk, have a csa share (no packaging) buy milk in glass or get it at the farm in my own glass jars
plan to get wood/ natural brush toothbrushes
I made cloth with a nylon middle bowl covers in stread of saran wrap
I make my own bread in a breadmaker and store it in a bread bag i made with a nylon center for freshness and cotton on the outer and inner
i make my own yogurt in glass jars
i use bar soap (handmade from a few different places)
i made cloth sandwich bags
i am sure there is more but...
anyway i am sure this looks like i am crazy but...
anyone is welcome to pm me with questions!

fiestyfish is offline   Reply With Quote