Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-25-2011, 08:32 AM   #11
greenbabymomma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Should I avoid plastic altogether? And why?

BabyD'sMommy- I make my own covers, but I have also heard great things about RebelTLC. But really, your sewing skills can be almost zero and you can still make Tupperware covers. They don't have to be pretty, just functional!

If I was a millionaire, I would start a company that manufactures green, plastic-free carseats. We do our best to eliminate plastic (which we lovingly refer to as 'evil death chemical'), but there is only so much you can do.

Advertisement

greenbabymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #12
ABCDE Family
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Love it mama! Wish I get be that "good" but 1/2 is better than none!
? is where did you find a wool cover for the bed???
~TIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestyfish View Post
bpa is one of the thousands of plasticizers added to plastic to make it more desireable like softer, harder, bendy etc the problem is that these chemicals leach out of plastic when wet, heated, washed, used and into your baby's formula, food etc etc
ALL plastics leach these chemicals to a different degree. Some that are bpa free are worse than bpa. More research is being done but there have been several recent studies showing that all plastic leaches.
The chemicals that leak are a problem because the molecule look exactly like an estrogen molecule and can disrupt and mess with your endocrine system by mimicing the estrogen in your body. you edicrine system tells your body how and when to grow and reproduce cells which in growing children is very important. I think adding more estrogen to a young boy has the potential to do some real damage. The book "Plastic a toxic love affair" has some interesting info on the estrogenic effects on animals and preemies hooked up to plastic tube etc in the nicu
number 7 and vinyl, polyurothane foam are the worst

since i have a little boy and a chemisty background i have decided to go pretty radical but i have done it slowly for money and because its hard!
we use
glass baby bottles/sippys or stainless steel (new pura kind are all stainless)
glass storage- vintage pyrex and canning jars and a few glass lock and lock
real plates and cups for everyone
real stainless child sized silverware
mostly wood toys or cotton etc (this is by far the hardest! how do you have a plastic free kiddy pool?
converting to mostly wool covers (pul is plastic so is fleece- but i love my bfelt covers!)
in the toy area most containers are wood
wool cover on his bed for leaks
organic matteress
avoid plastic when shopping for food as much as possible- jars, bulk, have a csa share (no packaging) buy milk in glass or get it at the farm in my own glass jars
plan to get wood/ natural brush toothbrushes
I made cloth with a nylon middle bowl covers in stread of saran wrap
I make my own bread in a breadmaker and store it in a bread bag i made with a nylon center for freshness and cotton on the outer and inner
i make my own yogurt in glass jars
i use bar soap (handmade from a few different places)
i made cloth sandwich bags
i am sure there is more but...
anyway i am sure this looks like i am crazy but...
anyone is welcome to pm me with questions!
A for mom and Wife, B for DS#2, C for DH whom I LOVE, D for DS#1, E for DS#3, F for DS#4 and G for DD#5 ...Skipping down the CRUNCHY path
ABCDE Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #13
fiestyfish
Registered Users
seller

Tia-half good is way better than none!
pretty sure i got it online at target http://www.target.com/Naturepedic-Or..._gwvub_2_title
its washable but i have sprayed some alioop spray lanolin on it to ensure it stays waterproof. it is pretty amazing cause it is waterpoof!
i wonder if they make bigger ones?!

fiestyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #14
fiestyfish
Registered Users
seller

now that i look at it its organic cotton not wool! i got it before ds was born, i wondered why it was machine washable lol guess i dont have to spray it with lanolin hahaha still like it looked on the company's website and it is free of pvc, vinyl, pthalates etc

also if you can tell by my avatar plastic is hard to avoid- drinking from hose (i said no after i took the pic hahahahah) with vintage fisher price plastic washer- at least its outside right? and he cant chew it!
its increadibly hard if not impossible to avoid plastic!

fiestyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #15
ABCDE Family
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestyfish View Post
Tia-half good is way better than none!
pretty sure i got it online at target http://www.target.com/Naturepedic-Or..._gwvub_2_title
its washable but i have sprayed some alioop spray lanolin on it to ensure it stays waterproof. it is pretty amazing cause it is waterpoof!
i wonder if they make bigger ones?!
Thanks
A for mom and Wife, B for DS#2, C for DH whom I LOVE, D for DS#1, E for DS#3, F for DS#4 and G for DD#5 ...Skipping down the CRUNCHY path
ABCDE Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:13 PM   #16
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

if it is something that I can avoid I will go for glass options over 'BPA free' plastic any day - it may be BPA free but what else is in it?? also avoid PVC etc too so have an organic mattress and cover for DS

but some things can't be avoided for us; the lid on DS's klean kanteen is BPA free plastic, we don't have an option for milk in glass bottles etc so we have to minimize as much as we can and otherwise choose the BPA free option or go without

mama - I got an organic wool mattress pad from a company on ebay (they also have a site, just list items on ebay).

Last edited by zandj; 05-26-2011 at 03:14 PM.
zandj is offline   Reply With Quote