Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2007, 11:52 AM   #1
marcia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
anyone with older kids?

i know there are a ton of babies (obviously) but what about older kids.

i have 10, 6, and 5 year olds. i want to make some kind of chart for them to keep track of chores. i am sick of telling them (then fighting with them) on what they need to do. i think (hope) if i have a chart and explain to them - these need to be done and at the end of the week, you get "X" ammount of money or maybe i will take them somewhere.

BTW: my mom never gave me and my brothers allowance. we just did what we were told to do, when asked to do it. i rememeber fighting with my mom and i am wanting to try something different.

so, if anyone has older kids, how do you do it. if you don't have older kids - any suggestions for a way to make a chart?

Advertisement

marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:10 PM   #2
bean3
Registered Users
seller

Re: anyone with older kids?

They have huge graph paper at OfficeMax. You know, the paper that you would see in a meeting with the speaker drawing all over it?

Anyway, I took a sheet of that and wrote m son's homework on the left-hand side. Then across the top, I wrote the days of the week. At the bottom, in the "legend" area, we put several different colored stars. He helped me decide how much each star would be worth. Some were $0.50, some were $1, some were just $0.25...you see where I am going with this.

When he would bring home homework, we would write the assignment in the square. If it was a multi-step project, then we wrote the due dates for all the steps in their respective squares. When he COMPLETED the assignment, we put the appropriate star on that square. At the end of the week (or two weeks or whatever) he could cash in the total amount earned to either 1) get in cash or 2) pay down his credit account (see below).

This would work with chores as well. My thought would be to have various chores on the fridge on index cards. Each one would have a value and a frequency (each week, once a day, etc.). The kids can earn whatever money they want to by completing these chores. Then the values would go into the chart. It helps them learn self-motivation, job completion, and protocol.

Now, for the credit account: Both of my kids have their own credit acounts with the "bank of mom and dad". They get to spend a max of $20 on whatever they choose, but they also have to do chores to pay down their credit accounts. They are learning the idea that immediate gratification comes with the requirement to pay it off later, long after the candy is gone or the toy is broken. This has been AWESOME!

Let's face it, savings are a great idea, but no one is slamming our kids with savings accounts when they turn 18. They ARE slamming them with credit beyond their comprehension, and we typically have not taught them the difference between NEED and WANT. This has taught my kids to really think out their purchases. My son even makes sure he has room in his credit account for his next Yu-Gi-Oh pack! I came up with this idea and was so thrilled to see it working.
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:26 PM   #3
Melissa~BHS
B/S/T with caution~ Ignoring attempts to resolve FSOT issue.

My Mood:

My kids are 12, 8, 6, and 5. I don't have a chart. The kids all have a responsibility that is for their own stuff, like making their bed, taking their dirty clothes to the laundry room, etc. Then they each have something else that I ask them to do during the day. When they get home from school we have meeting time. I stop whatever I'm doing, we all sit in the family room and I go through their backpacks, homework assignments, talk about their day, etc. Then they each get assigned a responsibility. It's usually something like unload the dishwasher, or fold a load of laundry and put it away. My oldest daughter cleans the upstairs bathroom once a week (I wipe it down daily, but she does a thorough cleaning once a week - usually on Satuday). I just assign them a job based on what I still need to have done when 4pm rolls around.
Let me tell you - I stopped doing chore charts years ago. My husband has 3 older kids (they are now 21, 19, and 17). It doesn't matter that you have a chore chart CLEARLY posted. It doesn't matter that the kids can READ. You are still going to have to TELL them what you need to have completed. My husbands kids were awful about a chore chart. I would still have to ask them repeatedly to PLEASE take care of their responsibility. Heck, my middle stepson who is 19 lives with us and my DH still has to remind him what days the trash needs to go to the curb. Teenage kids have their head up their backside.

Melissa~BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:31 PM   #4
bean3
Registered Users
seller

My son is a very visual kid with a hard time keeping track of things verbally, so anything that can help him visually manage is useful. It takes a lot of patience to work with him on these things, but he really likes being able to earn his own money.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:49 PM   #5
marcia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh bean! i might steal that idea from you. because they are always wanting this toy or that toy. - what kid doesn't. but i love the idea of working it off instead of doing it the other way - you do this - you will get this.
it doesn't seem to work.

hmmmm. great ideas
marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:59 PM   #6
cwieberdink
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Since we have a large family, and DH is an engineer and spreadsheet junkie, we have LOTS of charts! LOL Our chore chart is a legal sheet printed landscape with everyone's chore assignments for a week. It helps arguments over who has what when and they have all signed the paper agreeing to it. :-)

Our children are DS 15, DS 14, DD 11, DD 9, DD 6, DD 4 and DD newborn.

The 15 through 6 year old have chores. The children do all the main chores like kitchen clean up, picking up and vacuuming, cleaning bathrooms. I have childcare, homeschooling, laundry and my bedroom. They do not get paid for chores. They also do not get an allowance "just for". They have to earn any money they want to spend. They will ask me what they can do to earn money and I can always find something. A good example is my office. It is an unholy mess in there most of the time and I have a good case of adult ADD. Cleaning a room that messy is near impossible to me, but my 15 year old is EXCELLENT at that sort of thing. Recently he did the entire, entire room. Every shelf, every nook and cranny, vacuumed, dusted, etc. I paid him $30.

They will clean out the cars for $5 or clean the garage or whatever.

We also have a "smilie" chart. Each kid starts with 10 smiles every Friday at dinner. When they have a bad attitude or are mean, they lose a smile. If they have a 'perfect" day, they can earn one back. If my 6 and 4 year olds stay in their own beds all night, they can earn an additional one back. They can also do extra chores for smiles. At the end of the week, whoever has kept all 10 smiles all week earns three tickets. If they have 10 but have lost and earned back some, they get two tickets. If they have the most smiles of anyone, but it is less than 10, they get one ticket. The tickets can be turned in for things like a second run movie, a smoothie or frappucino, a medium ice cream, etc.

So that's how we do it here.
cwieberdink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:01 PM   #7
mommabug42006
Registered Users
seller

I have a 6,5 and 4 year old and what we do is we have a chart on the fridge with each childs name and 3 velcro tabs per child and 6 that are labeled everyone. I rotate the chores daily, we do reward points instead of money (they like this better) OH each chore is on a piece of laminated colored poster board with a velcro tab on back to make rotation easier. Award points are given for good behavior, doing chores, or other good deeds. They can also loss points for negative behavior. It works pretty good right now we are 10 points away from a trip to the Shell Factory Woooo Hooooo
Old 03-29-2007, 01:10 PM   #8
streetdreams
Registered Users
seller

I have a 6 year old. She has ADD (like her mama ) so we use the charts from myaddstore.com, which has lots of good useful stuff.
streetdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:34 PM   #9
bean3
Registered Users
seller

I will have to check out that website...thanks!

I like my system because my kids want to spend their own money their way. They see me spending credit (I pay it off each month), and they really want to be like us anyway, so I thought...why not?

My kids are a DS who will be 13 in June, DD just turned 6 in January, and we will have a newborn in June.

I also have them babysit (or as my 6-year-old daughter calls it "kittysitting" because she likes to pretend to be a cat) each other. They each get paid because DD has to behave to make DS's job easier. It makes it more of a cooperative thing rather than "I'm the boss of you" type of thing.

They love kittysitting! DS is going to have specific jobs this summer to help support the house when the newborn gets here, because he wants to learn how to babysit for real and make it into a business. Mother's helpers are just as important and probably more appropriate for his personality. He is a GREAT helper!
Old 03-29-2007, 01:51 PM   #10
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As Cwieberdink said, we also have a large family and chores are expected because they are part of the family and participate heavily in creating the need to clean it up! I tried to be the one who did the major stuff like dishes, and laundry and vacuum and bathroom(s) etc when they were younger, but as they got older we introduced more jobs with more responsibility. They are offered $ in exchange for odd jobs around the house, etc, but when it comes to the daily responsiblities we all share (except DH, how did he get so lucky?) in taking care of them. In our family, the older ones have rotating chores week to week. It basically goes in a circle. The oldest boy (13) has to mow the lawn once a week and take out the trash daily (two bags a day usually). His is the only constant chore. The older two girls (14 and 11 next wk) and my middle boy (10 next week) have rotating chores. Because my 10 yo is having quite a lot of difficulties with short term memory retention, I have typed, printed and placed in a clear plastic sleeve, all of the chores for the particular room/chore they are working on. That way, if there is any confusion, they can reference the chore chart for that particular room.
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote