Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #1
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
my 3 m/o's head is flat on one side!

When he was first born he slept with it turned to one side. I'd try to turn it but it seemed like it was stiff or something and he's always turn back. Now he's 3 months and it's noticably flatter on that side. I try to turn his head nightly, wedge a blanket under his side so he has to turn his head the other way but nothing helps.
will it even out at least a little later?

Advertisement

Last edited by corinne76; 05-21-2011 at 09:57 PM.
corinne76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
pcjs
Registered Users

Re: my 3 m/o's head is flat on one side!

Most likely it will - we had big time flat head and as a toddler its still flat on one side and we did everything possible to rotate, etc. but my son resisted all the suggestions. Once he sat up more, it rounded out significantly. Its pretty common with sleeping on their backs and if they have a side preference. Talk to your ped. and watch it.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
amf78
Registered Users
seller

In our newborn care class we took before my oldest was born, the instructor said that when they sleep on their back babies tend to turn their head toward the side of the crib away from the wall. She suggested I alternate which end of the crib I put him down in, that way he wouldn't always be turning his head the same way. So for example, I would put his feet toward one end of the crib one day, then put them toward the other end the next day. Not sure if it made a difference, but neither of my boys had flat spots.

You might try something like that. If it doesn't work, I wouldn't worry too much. Most flat heads round out nicely eventually.

Baby Boy #3 EDD 1/14/15
amf78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:10 PM   #4
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If he has a side preference it might not even out. He could have torticollis which can affect his gross milestones. I would have his doctor look at it.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:37 PM   #5
pcjs
Registered Users

We tried the different ways to put our son in the crib, a rolled towel propping one shoulder up (which worried me/saftey/sids, etc.), and the few other recommended. Our son had a clear side preference but it was due to a skull fracture at birth so its a bit different than most. You can absolutely try it, but come 4-5 months, we found using a bouncy seat, high chair and other things very helpful when they don't press their head against it when you cannot hold/play (my son refused tummy time and I refused to force it which is a good option if they like it too). It hasn't effected gross or fine motor skills at all - if anything he's been ahead in that.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:12 AM   #6
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpmercury View Post
If he has a side preference it might not even out. He could have torticollis which can affect his gross milestones. I would have his doctor look at it.
That's what I was going to say... it's worth having it checked, or his neck will just keep getting stiffer. It's not fun to do the stretching exercises with him but, it helps.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:16 AM   #7
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

Our DS had the same thing, discovered around 3.5 months. I was told to 'hold him more'. Seriously... he never let me put him down. He was hardly ever on his own. I don't know how it happened!!

Anyways, we did all the things the PPs said and I asked for a ped referral when he was 6m because I was concerned (my Dr said he was fine). Ped said he was fine too. He's 17m now and I'd say his head is 'almost' perfectly shaped (meaning I swear I can still see a bit of a flat spot but noone else does). I'm just not shaving his hair too short

My ISO/IHA
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:25 AM   #8
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

thanks. He can turn his head both ways, when I hold him, it's just a preference when he's sleeping and laying down.
I did ask his pedi about it last appt at 2 months and he said it may not even out and just try to keep mvoing his head. great help that was
Old 05-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #9
umajo
Registered Users
seller

Dd2 and ds both had this problem. Dd2 is 2.5 yo and her head never rounded out that much Ds is 7 months and I've tried hard to rotate his head to the opposite side. It's not as flat as dd's, but still noticeable. I think those first 6 weeks are crucial. If we have another baby with this problem, I'll be taking them to a chiropractor asap. I assumed dd's head would round out more. Now I feel guilty.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #10
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i just wanted to say i had a baby like that and i was very alarmed at the time. he is almost 4 now and it's not flat anymore. i kept mentioning it to my doctor and just kept trying to alternate sides when he slept. it just slowly re-shaped itself.