Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #11
jamilynn84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need some advice on the timing of pinprick test for GD

i was told 2 hours after the start of the meal.

Advertisement

Old 05-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #12
chickpeaz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm to check 1 hr after the start of a meal and target is >140. I'm on a ton of insulin at this point, however (34wks) which might require stricter guidelines. I feel for you, mama -- I've had four fingersticks and four shots a day since 16 weeks! SOOOOO ready to be done.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:47 PM   #13
newtodiaper78
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just feel that the more I try to accommodate the dietary restrictions, the worse my numbers are. I think I end up over-compensating, which screws up the numbers. I could never do well with rules such as these. Not a rule-following person. Especially when you are telling me that I have to end up taking medicine or poking myself additional times each day. The stress and pressure just gets to me.

Now I'm speaking to another dietitian. She's a bit more understanding and kind of knows where I'm coming from. So hopefully she'll be able to help me. I still think that the test results are a fluke, especially finding out that there is a 20% error rate of false-positive for the glucose test.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:03 PM   #14
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For me it is two hours after the start of the meal and it has to be under a 110. It depends on your metabolism how your number will turn out, also if you have exercised, if you are feeling well, if you are stressed etc. I have a cold for two days now and my bs is a bit higher than normaly, but still in my given limits. I do not fax my numbers to the dietician at all, they all go to the endocrinologist. I do best on a low carb diet, the tips I got from the dietician did not help me at all (go figure, she introduced herself as diabetic and came in with a diet coke!). Don't be angry about it, it is not your fault, though I thoink I could have avoided it for myself if I would not have entered this pregnancy overweight. My A1C went down from 5.7% to 5.3% and that makes me happy. It actualy doesn't matter that much if you test earlier or later, you just do never want your numbers to high over your given limit. My endo is really conservativ, as soon as I will have three numbers over the given limit I will be on insulin. Sucks, but I do not wat my baby to suffer. Good luck to you, you are not pregnant forever!
Old 05-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #15
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtodiaper78 View Post
I just feel that the more I try to accommodate the dietary restrictions, the worse my numbers are. I think I end up over-compensating, which screws up the numbers. I could never do well with rules such as these. Not a rule-following person. Especially when you are telling me that I have to end up taking medicine or poking myself additional times each day. The stress and pressure just gets to me.

Now I'm speaking to another dietitian. She's a bit more understanding and kind of knows where I'm coming from. So hopefully she'll be able to help me. I still think that the test results are a fluke, especially finding out that there is a 20% error rate of false-positive for the glucose test.

Stress will bring our sugars up. Here is what works for me, I do not eat any candy, chocolate, sweets at all. No things that contain lactose, fructose, basically anything ..ose, at least I try to. I replaced flavored yogurt with greek yogurt and add my own whole fruits, like blueberries, raspberries, apple etc. No fruit for breakfast, no fruit for dinner or after that. I add flax seed to everything. I have meat and fish with veggies for dinner, I do not eat pasta, rice or cereal at all at the moment, not even whole wheat (which was all I ate before beeing diagnosed). I make tuna salad or egg salad for breakfast and eat it on crisp bread (like wasa). If you do not trust the test, go and see an endocrinologist. THe A1C will tell how your bs over the last three month have been. The tolerance test is the only test that can tell how your body deals with bs and are actualy the only test to determine if someone is diabetic.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #16
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickpeaz View Post
I'm to check 1 hr after the start of a meal and target is >140. I'm on a ton of insulin at this point, however (34wks) which might require stricter guidelines. I feel for you, mama -- I've had four fingersticks and four shots a day since 16 weeks! SOOOOO ready to be done.
I am sure you mean < 140 after one hour. For being on insulin that is actualy not a conservative number, most docs will ask for <120 with insulin. But maybe you are diabetic? Great job, must feel long doing this since being 16 weeks. I will definately take more care after this pregnancy to prevent myself from becoming a diabetic, definately not fun!
Old 05-25-2011, 02:22 PM   #17
newtodiaper78
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsmom View Post
Stress will bring our sugars up. Here is what works for me, I do not eat any candy, chocolate, sweets at all. No things that contain lactose, fructose, basically anything ..ose, at least I try to. I replaced flavored yogurt with greek yogurt and add my own whole fruits, like blueberries, raspberries, apple etc. No fruit for breakfast, no fruit for dinner or after that. I add flax seed to everything. I have meat and fish with veggies for dinner, I do not eat pasta, rice or cereal at all at the moment, not even whole wheat (which was all I ate before beeing diagnosed). I make tuna salad or egg salad for breakfast and eat it on crisp bread (like wasa). If you do not trust the test, go and see an endocrinologist. THe A1C will tell how your bs over the last three month have been. The tolerance test is the only test that can tell how your body deals with bs and are actualy the only test to determine if someone is diabetic.
I don't think I can do what you do (i.e. cutting out all sweets from my diet). I actually couldn't take my nap because I was thinking of food. To be specific, a Klondike bar.

I know that stress, lack of sleep and being ill can cause the blood sugar to go up. And for me, the stress of having to take the tests at exact times and such really does get to me. Plus it boggles my mind that I have it since I came into this pregnancy healthy and active. My usual diet has always been less sugar, so to dump 50 grams of sugar into me when I don't even take 30 grams in a day just causes my system to go haywire.

Yes, I do know that pregnancy can cause all sort of issues with the body, etc. But I still feel that I need a second opinion. Or someone who is willing to work with me based on the differences in my diet as compared to a normal American. I am of Chinese descent, so my diet is mainly rice, vegetables, meat and fruits. I don't really take yogurt or cheese, or nuts, or any of those typical protein alternatives. Plus I'm used to eating 3 square meals a day, which would normally last me till the next meal. Snacking for me is rare, unless I was craving something very specific.

So this is causing a lot of changes for me. I just wished I could be allowed to test my blood sugar level based on my normal diet to see if it truly is bad for me. I just think there should be some flexibility based on cultural differences and diet. It's not a one-fit-all kind of scenario.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:29 PM   #18
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

True. And this is what I would try. Test after what you normaly eat and see what brings your sugars up and what doesn't. That is what I did. The diet recommendet by the dietician did not work for me either, too many weird carbs and too much processed food. I grave chinese food, but that would be hard to eat, too high on carbs for me at the moment, the sauces too sweet. You have to try different things and see what works for you, don't be upset. It is not fun for me to cut out the sweets or the ice cream but what are a couple of weeks without sweets for a healthy baby. And I would see an endocrinologist for diabetes if I were you. They know a lot more than your ob and will look into other numbers as well. Good luck to you.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #19
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtodiaper78 View Post
I don't think I can do what you do (i.e. cutting out all sweets from my diet). I actually couldn't take my nap because I was thinking of food. To be specific, a Klondike bar.

I know that stress, lack of sleep and being ill can cause the blood sugar to go up. And for me, the stress of having to take the tests at exact times and such really does get to me. Plus it boggles my mind that I have it since I came into this pregnancy healthy and active. My usual diet has always been less sugar, so to dump 50 grams of sugar into me when I don't even take 30 grams in a day just causes my system to go haywire.

So this is causing a lot of changes for me. I just wished I could be allowed to test my blood sugar level based on my normal diet to see if it truly is bad for me. I just think there should be some flexibility based on cultural differences and diet. It's not a one-fit-all kind of scenario.
Yeah, it is a lot of changes, and it can totally suck. But IMO cutting out sweets, or making changes in my diet for the remainder of my pregnancy are worth it for a healthy baby and to avoid having to take insulin. I did some self-testing at 20 weeks and found that I did have GD, and I was determined to do this without meds. It's really really hard, mama, I totally understand. There were days when I would sit and cry because it felt like all I did was eat, think about what to eat next, or test my sugar. But it was important enough to me that I not have to take meds so I worked really really hard. You said you are deathly afraid of needles, so why not commit to some major changes (such as cutting out sweets) and try to control that way?

Stress can definitely bring your numbers up. It might be best if you just accept what's going on and try to deal with it, rather than dispute it and make yourself more stressed out.
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote