Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-22-2011, 05:33 AM   #1
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
help asap- can i give pepto to a 6yo?

babysitting a friends kid, called the mom and she said do whatever i can including give meds...no know drug allergies. She's been puking on/off for 3 hours and says her stomach hurts. I've tried saltines (she ate 1 and threw it back up) and water...not really keeping anything down. Her parents went to a military ball and spent the night an hour away and carpooled with another couple so it may be a few hours before they an get back (it's 7:30am here, she first got up at 4am)

can i give pepto, if not, what can i do for her? My kids arn't pukers!

ETA- the bottle says "under 12 consult a doctor"

She is 6yo, and weighs aprox 45lbs

ETA2-Did not give her pepto, she stopped vomiting on her own...and then roughly 6 hours later her little brother started vomiting....thankfully at their house with their mom and dad. As far as I know they are all well today

Advertisement

Last edited by tygr2410; 05-23-2011 at 09:06 PM.
tygr2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:13 AM   #2
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

Re: help asap- can i give pepto to a 6yo?

I wouldn't do it, especially if you don't have instructions from a doc. If a child is throwing up, unfortunately there isn't much you can do to stop it. If she has puked that much, her stomach probably does hurt- the muscles can get very sore. I would just try to keep her hydrated (small sips of water or flat gingerale) and wait until the parents get home.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:14 AM   #3
Shaunam
Registered Users

I wouldn't. The pepto itself probably won't hurt her, but she might have a bug or mild food poisoning. Her body is trying to get rid of whatever is making her sick. By suppressing the symptoms, you won't really be doing anything to "help" her. Just let it run it's course and get some fluids in her if you can. The best way to keep fluids down is to take teeny little sips every 10 minutes or so at least, in my experience.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:57 AM   #4
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

ok thanks ladies!

Not sure what's making her sick, I fed them all dinner (my 3 and her 3 kids) last night and they all slept over. After dinner, they each had a red gogurt and her vomit wasn't pink at all so maybe it's a virus...(for which i'll be sanitizing EVERYTHING later)...cannot get sick, DS's 1st b-day party is today! Aghhh!

I've already sent my 2 older ones away to church with DH so hopefully they will not be exposed any further
Old 05-22-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No pepto, if it has aspirin in it it could cause Reyes (sp?) syndrome. There is children's pepto. Her gut really needs to just rest, not much more in. She needs to puke the bad stuff out.

Sorry for the rough night of babysitting! Hope your family stays healthy
Old 05-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #6
tonnabelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, you can, but not the adult's version. They make one specifically for children 2 and over. It's awesome. And suppressing the symptoms will not stop the bug from running it's course...it just makes it more bearable. Absolutely no harm in making her more comfortable.