Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2007, 12:20 PM   #1
renfairemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
whatever happend to EBF for the first year?

We had our 6 month check up the other day. I have to tell you I am very disappointed in the medical field. With my other kids their docs and nurses always pushed EBF for as long as possible. This time around its like I am fighting the system to EBF. At the 4 month visit they were pushing cereals and baby food. The other day they stared at me in shock that we really were NOT doing the foods. I even said "what happened to EBF?" I was told that at 6 months my ds should be on juice. WHAT??? They told me he had bowel problems because he isnt pooping everyday. HELLO bf babies dont poop everyday. (mine never did anyway) They basically told me that he NEEDED foods and bm was no longer as necessary to him. HUH?! I was in shock. WHAT kind of medical advice were they giving me here?! Mind you this isnt my first baby. Nor is it the first time Ive breastfed. ( I actually now have all in all over 2 years of bfing under my belt) The things they were telling me just seemed to tick me off. Then the doctor had the nerve to tell me ds would grow better on "real food". I couldnt sit there anymore!! I said look at his chart. This 6 month old is 29 inches tall and 20 pounds. He is and has been in the 100% percentile since his 2 week check up. The doctor just stared at me. He is younger, but come on. Dont they still teach doctors that breast is best? He made a comment about how I didnt need to be militant. UGH! I just scoffed. I am too old to keep my mouth shut. I told both him and his nurse and the "student" who was there that I could care less what they told me, and that I was informed and I know what the WHO says. BUT they may come across a new mom who wouldnt know any better, and that they should educate themselves about breastmilk and breastfeeding. I hate the medical field. I worked in it for a decade. GOOD doctors are few and far between. I guess it makes me see how so many moms stop bfing, and to bf past 6 months is sometimes unheard of. Getting a different doc is a joke. They all seem to have the same mind-set. I just wonder how it seems like in the (almost) decade ive nursed how the medical field seems to have gone backwards???!! Does anyone else feel like they are fighting a loosing battle with their peds???!!! (thanks for letting me rant here!)

Advertisement

Old 03-29-2007, 12:24 PM   #2
kht2006
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: whatever happend to EBF for the first year?

I can relate completely. At my 2 wk. check up the doc I went to first was already talking about introducing solids before her 2 month appointment.
I finally found a doc. who is pro-BFing as long as possible. Karen
kht2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:30 PM   #3
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

I'm pretty glad ours tends to just listen and say "OK" to whatever you say, LOL.
She does kinda push the solids, but then again she's not the one that's around when they're screaming because their stomache's are upset. SO - that's my call, LOL
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

Yep, I FINALLY found a new ped. just last month. At her other doc that's all we ever heard was how she needed to start solids. That's why ppl think I'm crazy that i didn't start her on solids until late in her 6 month and then she HARDLY ever had any. My MIL got mad at me one day because I nursed dd and then only gave her a baby food jar of cereal and fruit. She thought I didn't give her enough to eat, mind you this was when she was only like 12 months old and it was for breakfast. URGGH I do believe we're all fighting that battle and that's why were almost alone!!
Old 03-29-2007, 05:28 PM   #5
Ali
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry that happened to you mama

At my ds's 4 month appointment my ped said to introduce no solids and that we shouldn't even consider it until ds is 6 months.

I had to reschedule his 6 month appoinment and it ended up being when ds was about 7 months (so a week ago or so) and the dr. said I could now introduce foods, but only one a day and one at a time for a few days to ensure no allergies and that I could give juice if I want.

I am a working mom and I pump and have a hard time keeping up supply so I had already started ds on some foods, but wanted to share just to say that not every ped pushes against bfing.

Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:48 PM   #6
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

so sorry that you've dealt with crappy peds as well mama.

my ped basically said that i HAD to wean my son at 12 months, cause my milk was now useless. gee thanks moron.

i got a new ped. let's hope the next one is a little more educated. and i'm still working to get things rectified with that ped's office. i agree that it's so sad that so many moms are discouraged from doing the best thing.

kudos to you for doing the best
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:06 PM   #7
MyCrazy8
Registered Users
Formerly: momto6
seller

My Mood:

That's why I skip the appts. completely. I couldn't handle it anymore!! DD#2 stll goes, but that's to monitor her heart condition she had surgery for almost a year ago, but that's it! No more well baby visits! Dh had asked when Abby (the baby) when she was going back, and I said never if I can help it!
Old 03-29-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
mzfern
Registered Users

My Mood:

That's totally ridiculous!! And to call you names?!? Tell you not to be "militant"?? I would NOT go back to that doc and he'd be getting a letter from me. So sad that a student is observing him give bad advice to parents. Way to stand your ground and set him straight!
mzfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:22 PM   #9
babygirlsmom1005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OMG - I am so sorry you had to go through that.

My DD was EBF for 13.5 months - she had no interest in foods or anything else but boobie. All of her doctors were freaked out about it and they did bloodwork about once a month to keep up with her blood levels (which always came back perfect). They kept on telling me once she started food she would gain weight....that hasn't happened and she is now 18 months old and weighs the same as she did.

On a plus note, her GI said I need to nurse her until I couldn't produce milk anymore due to she is having absorbtion problems.
Marcie wife to Mike mom to Madeline 10/2005 , Marshall 4/2009 and surprise #3 due 9/2011
babygirlsmom1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:49 PM   #10
Mom2Gray
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ds had his 4 month check up yesterday and I was also told he's ready to start juice. JUICE. A 4 month old. I'm not sure he'll even get juice before he's 2 years old...DEFINITELY not in a bottle!
Mom2Gray is offline   Reply With Quote