Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2007, 06:53 PM   #11
Samantha
Goodness gracious he's hot!
seller

My Mood:
Re: whatever happend to EBF for the first year?

With DD I would just tell the doc she wasnt ready and that was that.

I would be finding a new ped!

Advertisement

Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:57 PM   #12
ellemenopee
Registered Users
seller

YOU GO MOMMA!
Old 03-30-2007, 07:46 AM   #13
tjcjlc99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thats crazy... im very fortunate my ped is very pro bfing. and at dds 4mo check up, he said if we wanted we could start cereal at 5mo since some grandparents insist on solids, but since that wasnt the case wait until 6mo. so we did. we go back in a few weeks for her 6mo. hopefully he still is for breastfeeding.
definately would be looking for a new ped.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:41 PM   #14
crunchymomma
Banned
seller

Mine is verypro bfing...... She said we could start solids at 4 mos, but she suggested waiting until 6. We JUST atarted at almost 7 mos becasue dd grabs our food and tries to eat it. Only once a day (at lunch) and only a teaspoon full. She loves it, but is ready to nurse after her couple of bites.

Way to go on tellin off the doc!!!!
crunchymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:50 PM   #15
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

Gosh, I have known mothers who will only nurse their baby for 12 months and then give solids after that. Besides, that is how nature has intended it to be.

The ONLY reason we see the doc is to leave a "paper trail" so we can't be accused of neglecting our children's needs and to make sure we don't overlook any serious issues. Nothing more than that though. My kids are sooooooooo healthy and it baffles our ped. that they are that way. He says he can't ever recall children so healthy as mine
keegans_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:51 PM   #16
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

I just completely ignore my ped when she tells me I should be weaning DD That's a subject that literally goes in one ear and out the other on my part. She started insisting I put her on formula at 8 months old because I was having supply problems. My "supply problems" were because I was on birth control, once I stopped, my supply was great again...I remember my ped being shocked a month later when I still hadnt given her formula Yet she had gained 4 lbs (in ONE month)

DD is still mostly breastfed and she weighs almost 26 lbs now. I would certainly say she's thriving on breastmilk still at this point.

ETA: I see you're in wisconsin, what area?
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:05 PM   #17
bean3
Registered Users
seller

I kept our family doc to be my daughter's ped, because we had the same opinions on a lot of things. When I nursed, he said GREAT! He was for co-sleeping, wearing her, etc. I stopped taking our entire family to him because he started pushing medications for everything imaginable. Forget actual lifestyle changes or patient education. He actually told me that I would DIE if I didn't take cholesterol-lowering medications, and my values were barely elevated, and a first-time elevation at that.

At some point, he had become a drug-of-the-week doc. I would sit there and have medical FIGHTS with him because his thinking was so out in left field, and I could supply the medical stats to back me up. I told my DH he wasn't allowed to care for our family anymore, because who knows what he was going to say. I lost all respect for him and trust in him.

Even the good ones go to the other side, unfortunately.
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:27 PM   #18
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean3 View Post
I kept our family doc to be my daughter's ped, because we had the same opinions on a lot of things. When I nursed, he said GREAT! He was for co-sleeping, wearing her, etc. I stopped taking our entire family to him because he started pushing medications for everything imaginable. Forget actual lifestyle changes or patient education. He actually told me that I would DIE if I didn't take cholesterol-lowering medications, and my values were barely elevated, and a first-time elevation at that.

At some point, he had become a drug-of-the-week doc. I would sit there and have medical FIGHTS with him because his thinking was so out in left field, and I could supply the medical stats to back me up. I told my DH he wasn't allowed to care for our family anymore, because who knows what he was going to say. I lost all respect for him and trust in him.

Even the good ones go to the other side, unfortunately.
That's sad...must be hard to have a good dr go bad (well, bad IMO, I understand nto everyone would agree with that)

My ped was great at first too, delaying first vaxes to 4 months, loving the fact that I breastfed and let her sleep with me when she wanted to, etc

Now we fight constantly about the fact that I haven't vaxed since our 4 month appt, still breastfeed despite a few bumps in the road, and cosleep now and then. I just go in and do my thing so that WIC gets off my back about not going to well-baby appts and to show responsibility in case a custody issue were to ever come up.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:28 PM   #19
mama2madj
Registered Users
seller
seller

wow...i didnt even know there were drs who encouraged no solids till 12mo
mine didnt till 6mts...at 9mts saying should start in the next month, at 12mts saying he should start right away, 15mts saying should start eating daily and more than just puffed rice....etc...
Old 03-31-2007, 05:11 PM   #20
earthybirthymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We exclusively bf my dd#1 til 10.5 months and that was when we introduced water and breads. I remember my peds pushing us to get her on baby food and she hated them, wouldnt even open her mouth. So we stopped pushing. DD#2 we were blessed with a very crunchy friendly ped who never pushed and actually said its best to wait for as long as we can during the first year. DD #2 was grabbing food off my plate by 7 months old, despite me trying in vain to avoid it. But our ped was great about making sure she kept up on breastmilk.

Then we switched to a different insurance and we did nothing but fight with the ped about our parenting choices. So we dont go anymore unless the girls are sick with something i cant handle (pneumonia, bronchitis or those types of things). We dont do well baby checks anymore and we take all advice with a grain of salt. We are thinking about paying the $50 visit per child, just to go back to our old ped who is not over the top quick to put our kids on antibiotics. Still weighing that in as we've had a pretty good year & only one serious illness where we willing accepted the docs rx and diagnoses.

I hate that many mothers who choose alternative ways to treat and raise their kids all feel that they are not in control and are losing a battle. I have felt it so many times. I get so worn out and tired with it. I just want the medical profession as a whole to open their eyes to alternative care which has enough research, statistics and history to be given the time of day in regards to pediatrics.

Sorry off my tangent now.

earthybirthymom is offline   Reply With Quote