Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-31-2007, 05:35 PM   #21
KaiyaSue
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: whatever happend to EBF for the first year?

sigh. I'd look for a new pedi... or maybe you can give them some articles to read? LOL
My pedi didn't suggest solids until 6 months but then she told me he would sleep through the night if I fed him cereal. Of course this wivestale was disproved by research. They were initially supportive of BFing, but they said a few things that POed me at our last visit. I'm going to look for a new Dr, but I'm afraid I'm not going to find much better either.

Advertisement

Old 03-31-2007, 05:56 PM   #22
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

That is awful!!

I remember at my DDs either 6 or 9month check up our then Doctor told me I NEED to start weaning her an introduce formula & babyfood or else she'll never wean and plus now there was no real use for BM I told her my son (who was like 2.5yrs old) STILL nurses too You should have seen her face! She sat down and told me I MUST MUST MUST wean him right now, dont let him nurse & dont offer the breast ever again, he is too old to nurse .... there is no reason for him to want or need to nurse! That was my last time seeing that DR, thank gosh our Health Coverage changed so now we have a new DR ............ who I have yet to meet!

Good Luck & I hope to find a good DR who supports our choices soon!

PS - Oh I forgot when she asked where the kids slept & I said with my husband and I she said starting tonight I have to put them in their own beds ..... if they cry it is because they are trying to make me feel guilty but they are really fine & dont give in!
Old 03-31-2007, 06:34 PM   #23
Ali
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfern View Post
That's totally ridiculous!! And to call you names?!? Tell you not to be "militant"?? I would NOT go back to that doc and he'd be getting a letter from me. So sad that a student is observing him give bad advice to parents. Way to stand your ground and set him straight!
OMG, I love that fluffy butt avitar!!

Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:08 PM   #24
FinnegansMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What's really sad is how many women start jarred baby foods and cereal at 2 months. I'm on another board and I am in the slim minority for being EBF. My son will be 6 months and he's only had breastmilk, even when he was jaundiced and the docs were yelling at me to give him formula, I stuck it out. My Dr at his 4 month check up asked about solid foods, and I said NO and he said, we'll start him before 6 months otherwise he'll be picky.
Seriously, Picky? So what if he doesn't want to eat processed crap and macdonalds and cheetos. I'm a product of early baby food - me and just about everyone else born in the early 70's. And I"m the pickiest eatter in the world. Dr's sometimes DON'T get it. And do you find its more the MEN?
Maybe they just can't admit a WOMAN can feed her child better than 1000 men's pureed jarred slop?

ugh.
FinnegansMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:48 AM   #25
L&K'smommie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnegansMom View Post
What's really sad is how many women start jarred baby foods and cereal at 2 months. I'm on another board and I am in the slim minority for being EBF. My son will be 6 months and he's only had breastmilk, even when he was jaundiced and the docs were yelling at me to give him formula, I stuck it out. My Dr at his 4 month check up asked about solid foods, and I said NO and he said, we'll start him before 6 months otherwise he'll be picky.
Seriously, Picky? So what if he doesn't want to eat processed crap and macdonalds and cheetos. I'm a product of early baby food - me and just about everyone else born in the early 70's. And I"m the pickiest eatter in the world. Dr's sometimes DON'T get it. And do you find its more the MEN?
Maybe they just can't admit a WOMAN can feed her child better than 1000 men's pureed jarred slop?

ugh.
I just have to agree with you...picky because they don't start solids until 6 months...what a load of C RA P! My dd didn't start solids till 6 months(she was grabbing at our plates all ready) and she will eat almost anything. Me on the other hand, fed food really early and I'm one of the pickiest eaters there is. I'm wanting to wait with my ds until at least 6 months, though the more I read, the longer I'm thinking of waiting.
And to original pp, I'm really sorry your ped was so horrible. I would find a new doc if I were you.
I am fortunately blessed with a very open ped. She supports BFing and has told us to wait until at least 6 months with food for ds, she also doesn't bug me about vaxing either. I am very thankful for that. I hope all you mommas who have bad docs can find new ones, or like pp said...just don't go unless its an emergency.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:43 AM   #26
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hate doctors anymore they never seem to be very educated about things. I swear some joe off the street could go in and play doc and be better than half of the real ones !

We got lucky with DDs short time Ped, she was pro BF and eventhough we had to keep her on formula a few times a day until her 4 wk appt she still pushed the BF on demand the rest of the time.
Now that DD has to be seen by a mil Ped, Im not sure how they are going to look at BF. I have been told that most of the older ones tend to be Pro, but we dont even know her new Peds name yet, so I guess we will see.
I swear if that new one tells me somehting like that, Ill take my baby and walk out and go back to the other one.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:47 AM   #27
Fullhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Pushing juice, aka glorified sugar water, on a 6 mo? That is just stupid Maybe some gatorade to go with it?
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:49 AM   #28
AmyErinBobbysMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Two months! NOBODY recommends that! What kind of doctor was he/she??
AmyErinBobbysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:14 AM   #29
e_mom_e
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthybirthymom View Post

I hate that many mothers who choose alternative ways to treat and raise their kids all feel that they are not in control and are losing a battle. I have felt it so many times. I get so worn out and tired with it. I just want the medical profession as a whole to open their eyes to alternative care which has enough research, statistics and history to be given the time of day in regards to pediatrics.

Sorry off my tangent now.

that is me, I will fight certain things then you get tired and give in on other things cause you don't want to be in a war all the time. But it only makes it worse. Like the stupid hep B shot, I didn't want it at all and got the doc to at least let me delay it, then once I got to his first well baby visit I tried to fight but I wasn't strong enough and gave in. Hopefully I will be able to do better with our next child whenever that is.

I failed to bf my son to a full year, but we were both crying and he was screaming and fighting every bfing session and I went like that for a few months until about 10 months old. I am pretty sure it was my supply but I just couldn't do it anymore so I added in formula at first as much to my distain but I wasn't sure if he should be able to drink any milk, but now I give him goats milk and he loves that, and I was able to bf him at least 2 times a day as well without him getting upset, and now finally I have pretty much gave it up all together. I really think it was the solids that messed up my supply, I am totally going to wait next time as long as I can and then slowly introduce solids.

as for the juice at 4 months that FLOORS ME!! I can't believe that...first of all NO CHILD needs juice period. My son LOVES water! He hates juice. secondly I have read many places that any liquids other than milk before 6 months is dangerous to a child. Now after that point that's different and only in small amounts...my son gets maybe about 4-6 oz in water during a day but that's it and he does eat solids, if he didn't eat solids and only had bm or formula then I would probably not give it to him.

look at this article and you will be floored by the survey at the bottom
http://www.babycenter.com/plus/ready...icles/food/114
Old 04-04-2007, 09:31 AM   #30
Fullhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_mom_e View Post

look at this article and you will be floored by the survey at the bottom
http://www.babycenter.com/plus/ready...icles/food/114
EWWWWWW! Then under that people were putting Karo in water and that was OK!
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote