Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2006, 01:42 PM   #1
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DD refuses to sign!-UPDATE

I thought this signing thing was going to be easy. I interpret some of the songs for our chuch! But DD, who is a year (been signing the whole time!), will not sign.

She understands many signs. When I do the sign for milk, she gets all into position ready to nurse. When DH or I do the sign for eat, she get's excited. She knows what she's getting when we sign water. But she will not do a sign her self. Especially with food. I have tried and tried and tried to get her to do the sign for more. Instead she grunts and points when she wants more food.

Any ideas?

She signed more!!!! Finally. One day at breakfast it just seemed to click. Now she uses that sign for "I want that." Mealtime is so much more pleasant now.

Now to learn other signs.

Advertisement

Last edited by marvelous; 06-10-2006 at 07:21 AM.
marvelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:47 PM   #2
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: DD refuses to sign!

The book that I read on baby signing says that sometimes you need to let them come up with their own sign, kind of like when they come up with their own words for certian things. If she has been signing the whole time and just refuses now I couldn't tell you. My nephew was born without ear drums and I think he went through a six month period where he wouldn't sign because he just did not want to, but he continued to learn more sign, just wouldn't use it himself.
jjaelovesenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:52 PM   #3
crystal

are you giving her what she wants when she points and grunts? If you are then she dosnt need to sign.. Marcy signed for 6 months while she was in speech, At the beginning she refused to do it. She knew what they ment but like your baby she grunted. We just told her I dont know what you want. You need to sign/say it. It took a couple of days but she caught on very fast.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:15 PM   #4
Abunchofus
Registered Users
seller

Old 05-09-2006, 10:41 PM   #5
mommy2zander
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What I've read says to make the signing into a game & have fun with it! I'd be really careful about withholding her needs to get her to sign...

I visited my friend & her home childcare this last winter & she signs with her childcare children... She has gotten into the habit of making the kids sign to get their food at meal time & actually making them sit without the food if they don't feel like signing... It made me feel like i was in a boot camp! and was heart breaking to see the power struggle over the issue of signing...

Our son is 23 months & really enjoys signing, but we don't put alot of stress on it! We save the power stuggles for things like not pushing other children & not trying to sit on my friends baby!!

Just my You can ignore it if it's not right for your family!
mommy2zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:44 PM   #6
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

DS went through a phase of refusing to sign as well... I think it was b/c he didn't speak at all for 2 years... then started to speak a little & we started to anticipate things & he realized he didn't need to make an effort anymore.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:40 AM   #7
singlemomto3
Registered Users
seller

yeah just don't respond to yelling and pointing. Either they will start to speak or sign or get the things themselves.
singlemomto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:44 AM   #8
crystal

Just to clarify.. i wasnt saying with hold needs but thinks like a drink or something. I wouldnt make them sit with out it either. If they dont do it on there own.. we alwys would "help" them make the sign and then give them what they want..
Old 05-10-2006, 10:52 AM   #9
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe she's just not "ready" yet. My dd didn't do much at a year, either. Then, around 14 months, she started signing away!

It did help to withhold the item she wanted a little bit until she'd try--when we knew she knew how to sign for it, of course.
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:24 AM   #10
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I tried the with holding thing. She just gets really upset. I've tried helping her do the sign, and she still just points.

I might try the "I don't know what you want" combined with helping and see how it goes. I'm not going to force it on her, but it so puzzling. She knows how to do the sign for more because she did it a few times around 10 months. But she would do it at the oddest times, like in the bath or in the car. I would always try to figure out what she wanted more of, but never could. Maybe that is why she stopped.

No matter what, I'll keep signing and see how it goes. Thanks for all of the responses.