Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-23-2014, 11:02 AM   #1
amydb
Registered Users

Laundry & Detergent ??

Hi everyone!
I am expecting our first baby in July My husband and I are very excited to cloth diaper! We are going to use mostly prefolds and covers. I am feeling pretty confident in our knowledge thus far (the most learning will come when our bebe gets here!) but I am feeling particularly intimidated by the whole laundering process- especially with what detergent to use!! We live in northern Michigan and have normal to somewhat hard well water. Any help is appreciated!!

Advertisement

amydb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:01 PM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Laundry & Detergent ??

Prefolds are really easy to wash. Start with whatever you are already using unless it has fabric softener. In which case get one without the softner. Make sure to use as much detergent as you would a really dirty load of laundry. None of this nonsense about how less is more when it comes to diapers. I promise you poop and pee does not have any magical cleaning properties that would make them need less detergent to be cleaned out of diapers. Neither are diapers made of some magical fabric. They are just folded cotton fabric. You said your water is medium to hard. You might need to add in a softener such as Calgon, Borax, or Washing Soda. If so just follow the package dierections.

If you want somewhat softer diapers you can add in either vinegar or a natural softener to your final rinse. I like to do a prerinse/wash/rinse/rinse in hot water if you can. Otherwise try to use warm water. Occasionally use a bit of bleach.

Line drying is fine but results in stiffer diapers. This can generally be resolved by tossing themn into the dryer for a few minutes. I prefer to just machine dry on high. The diapers will be softer and quiltier. If you want to just pull out your covers and hang to dry. I had small hooks under a shelf to dry them on when I washed my nieces covers.

Should you accidentally add in a regular fabric softener or leave in a dryer sheet do not panic. You have not ruined your diapers. You can either use them and wash as normal or you can choose to rewash right away. One time will not harm your diapers even a little bit.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #3
Pampered Mama
Registered Users
Formerly: JASMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
Prefolds are really easy to wash. Start with whatever you are already using unless it has fabric softener. In which case get one without the softner. Make sure to use as much detergent as you would a really dirty load of laundry. None of this nonsense about how less is more when it comes to diapers. I promise you poop and pee does not have any magical cleaning properties that would make them need less detergent to be cleaned out of diapers. Neither are diapers made of some magical fabric. They are just folded cotton fabric. You said your water is medium to hard. You might need to add in a softener such as Calgon, Borax, or Washing Soda. If so just follow the package dierections.

If you want somewhat softer diapers you can add in either vinegar or a natural softener to your final rinse. I like to do a prerinse/wash/rinse/rinse in hot water if you can. Otherwise try to use warm water. Occasionally use a bit of bleach.

Line drying is fine but results in stiffer diapers. This can generally be resolved by tossing themn into the dryer for a few minutes. I prefer to just machine dry on high. The diapers will be softer and quiltier. If you want to just pull out your covers and hang to dry. I had small hooks under a shelf to dry them on when I washed my nieces covers.

Should you accidentally add in a regular fabric softener or leave in a dryer sheet do not panic. You have not ruined your diapers. You can either use them and wash as normal or you can choose to rewash right away. One time will not harm your diapers even a little bit.
Spot on, perfect advice
Donlt get caught up in the hype of cloth diapers being difficult- they've been made out to be way more difficult that they need to be with all the routines, etc, and they really don't need to be, and you don't need special detergents.

Congrats on your new little one!

Don't forget the cloth wipes, too- as long as you are doing cloth, you may as well! about 2-3 dozen are plenty, and just wash them with your dipes- no special prepping needed for the wipes. You don't even need to buy fancy ones, just cotton so they are absorbent!

Pampered Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
fluffykins
Registered Users
seller

This post may have just saved my life. I was so scared of the laundering process, as well!
fluffykins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:08 PM   #5
AlexiaH
Registered Users
seller

I was scared of the laundry process as well and it's SO easy!
AlexiaH is offline   Reply With Quote