Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-22-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
themaelane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
s/o juice - oj?

So many people think its bad to give juice to their kids, some go with all natural, etc. What about OJ? It has tons of added calcium, and my DD has a milk/eggs allergy, so I want her to get it where I can....

Advertisement

ISO: NB covers/fitteds, flats, wool, 'big sister' stuff for a 4YO girl.
themaelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
OJ is the one I'm most strict about. I knew a 3 yo who had to have 9 fillings due to drinking oj. I'm sure there was more to it, but that was what her mother said the dentist thought. Anyway, I don't forbid it, but I dont buy it either. Though I dont buy any juice for that matter! they drink it at gma's.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Re: s/o juice - oj?

if I find organic oranges on the reduced rack at Meijer, then I'll make fresh oj, but it's rare-like once every three months.
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:48 PM   #4
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

We just dilute, big time. DS started getting it maybe at 15m? 1/3 juice and the rest water 1X per day. I think it's fine

My ISO/IHA
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:20 AM   #5
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:

Every morning I have oj with extra pulp and I allow my daughter to drink it from my juice glass. Sometimes she drinks half, sometimes a few sips. She's almost 3 and it's been our ritual for over a year.

With juice, it's all in moderation I think. The only thing she has regular access to during the day is water, or if she asks for it, herbal iced tea. She never asks for juice, which I guess is a good sign.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:31 AM   #6
TuthGuru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

From a dental perspective, OJ is both acidic and sugary which are two cavity-promoting properties. Because of that, I wouldn't necessarily go so far as to say NO ORANGE JUICE, but I would like to point out the importance of limiting the exposure time.

It is the FREQUENCY of exposure that is critical and NOT the AMOUNT. What I mean by that is, if you give your child a sugary drink, they need to drink it fairly swiftly- and be done with it. Allowing them to sip on any kind of juice throughout the day is what does the teeth in.

Let me back up a bit. See, when sugar and plaque come into contact with each other, an acid is formed and the pH in your mouth drops. That acid eats holes in your teeth- that's a cavity! It takes about 30 minutes after a sugar exposure for the pH in your mouth to go back to normal. So- if your child takes a sip of juice and then 30 minutes later takes another sip and then 30 minutes later takes another sip- that was only 3 sips BUT it was a total of an hour-and-a-half that their teeth were vulnerable to an acidic environment.

Did that make sense at all? Anyway, just don't let them have a cup sitting around all day of any kind of juice whether it be watered down or not. Watering it down cuts down on the AMOUNT of sugar they are ingesting, but it does nothing to help in regard to damaging their teeth. Hope that helps!

Last edited by TuthGuru; 05-23-2011 at 10:41 AM.
TuthGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:55 AM   #7
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuthGuru View Post
From a dental perspective, OJ is both acidic and sugary which are two cavity-promoting properties. Because of that, I wouldn't say NO ORANGE JUICE, but I would like to point out the importance of limiting the exposure time.

It is the FREQUENCY of exposure that is critical and NOT the AMOUNT. What I mean by that is, if you give your child a sugary drink, they need to drink it fairly swiftly- and be done with it. Allowing them to sip on any kind of juice throughout the day is what does the teeth in.

Let me back up a bit. See, when sugar and plaque come into contact with each other an acid if formed and the pH in your mouth drops. That acid eats holes in your teeth- that's a cavity! It takes about 30 minutes after a sugar exposure for the pH in your mouth to go back to normal. So- if your child takes a sip of juice and then 30 minutes later takes another sip and then 30 minutes later takes another sip- that was only 3 sips BUT it was a total of an hour-and-a-half that their teeth were vulnerable to an acidic environment.

Did that make sense at all? Anyway, just don't let them have a cup sitting around all day of any kind of juice whether it be watered down or not. Watering it down cuts down on the AMOUNT of sugar they are ingesting, but it does nothing to help in regard to damaging their teeth. Hope that helps!
That's exactly how my dentist explained it
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:59 AM   #8
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We don't of oj because it's expenci e and the pulp cloggs the sippy we're water or whole fruit people for the most part. An occational juice box or something.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:07 AM   #9
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

DH will buy Oj sometimes, not very often. Same with the V8 Splash. Other than that nothing else and I don't buy it when I go shopping. I think occasionally is fine, everything in moderation.
My kids drink water all day and sometimes milk.
mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:25 AM   #10
sugar_booger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't want to live in a world without juice! growing up we had juice, water, milk, whatever...
now I have moments when I go on health kicks where I don't buy it and then I'll have times where I want the conveniece of juice boxes, lol. I have OJ in the fridge right now. I do always dilute and my kids don't walk about with cups of juice all day and they can't have it at night. They do get a water bottle to have day and night and juice is diluted. I always buy natural, no sugar added juice... makes me feel better

I think you'd have to let her drink a fair bit if you rely on it for calcium, so it may not be the best choice. There is calcium in nuts and veggies too, I'd do a search online for top calcium foods and start adding those into your diets and just keep the juice for a treat.