Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #11
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: s/o juice - oj?

If your worry is nutrition, there are lots of other foods that give the calcium and Vitamin C that OJ does, plus, I imagine that naturally occurring calcium would be better absorbed than added calcium.

Advertisement

Old 05-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #12
kej
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuthGuru View Post
From a dental perspective, OJ is both acidic and sugary which are two cavity-promoting properties. Because of that, I wouldn't say NO ORANGE JUICE, but I would like to point out the importance of limiting the exposure time.

It is the FREQUENCY of exposure that is critical and NOT the AMOUNT. What I mean by that is, if you give your child a sugary drink, they need to drink it fairly swiftly- and be done with it. Allowing them to sip on any kind of juice throughout the day is what does the teeth in.

Let me back up a bit. See, when sugar and plaque come into contact with each other an acid if formed and the pH in your mouth drops. That acid eats holes in your teeth- that's a cavity! It takes about 30 minutes after a sugar exposure for the pH in your mouth to go back to normal. So- if your child takes a sip of juice and then 30 minutes later takes another sip and then 30 minutes later takes another sip- that was only 3 sips BUT it was a total of an hour-and-a-half that their teeth were vulnerable to an acidic environment.

Did that make sense at all? Anyway, just don't let them have a cup sitting around all day of any kind of juice whether it be watered down or not. Watering it down cuts down on the AMOUNT of sugar they are ingesting, but it does nothing to help in regard to damaging their teeth. Hope that helps!
That is very informative and great to know. Thanks for the info. I passed it along to my sil whose 2 kids go through 2-3 gallons of juice a week.

As for juice with added calcium-I like to remember Michael Pollan's motto (to paraphrase) that if it's a food that brags about what's been added and how good it is for you, it's probably too processed and you shouldn't be consuming it.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #13
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We drink OJ every morning for breakfast. We buy organic OJ that doesn't have anything added to it, so it's just squeezed oranges. We also brush our teeth after breakfast and before bed, so we brush after we drink the OJ. That is the only juice we drink except for the kids birthday parties where I buy organic juice boxes.

Last edited by JennTheMomma; 05-23-2011 at 09:24 AM.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #14
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
Formerly: NewFoundFaith
seller

My Mood:

I dilute juice with water. Mostly DD has Motts Tots (which is already diluted) mixed with water in her straw sippy. She has access to it all day long because of how hot it gets here in NC. I don't want her dehydrated.

We do OJ too but not like that, she can get some diluted at a restaurant if we are out etc.

New Contest coming Soon!Please visit my Facebook store! <--Click
BottomOfMyHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #15
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

I'm a bottom feeder so we do 100% juice and OJ! About 8 oz of juice a day, and OJ about 3 times a week.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #16
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

my 1 yr old shares my smoothies sometimes- OJ, 100% cherry juice, greek yogurt, flax and frozen fruit. I don't give him cups of juice though. He drinks water from a cup or nurses
Old 05-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #17
froggymiamore
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
I'm a bottom feeder so we do 100% juice and OJ! About 8 oz of juice a day, and OJ about 3 times a week.
We always have OJ in the house and DH and I drink some every morning! The kids will get some watered down a few times a week. As for regular juice, it's also watered down 50/50 and at most once a day. With 4 kids we can't afford to NOT water it down!!
Old 05-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #18
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

nope, no OJ here either. That calcium is artificially added anyway, eating veggies etc rich in calcium would help more with absorption and calcium levels.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:22 AM   #19
ktmamma
Registered Users
seller

My kids get OJ when they eat oranges.
We don't really do juice. Well, I don't buy it. DH buys it sometimes, but he is the only one that will give it to the kids (and he waters it down well over half and half) Since he's only home late evenings and weekends, that means they only get it about once a week.

We get calcium from plenty of calcium rich foods anyways (oranges, obviously, but kale, beans, nuts, fish, figs, yogurt, cheese - occasionally raw milk when I can get my hands on it, are ones that come to mind.)
Old 05-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #20
keysersoze
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we only have juice -- grape juice, diluted 50/50 -- on Shabbat evening. The rest of the week milk, almond milk and water are available whenever they want them.