Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2011, 02:30 AM   #1
kameroosky
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
11mo with night terrors?

For about a month now DS has occasionally been having what I though were bad dreams. He would start crying in his sleep and sometimes would wake up. It was usually pretty easy to sooth him back to sleep. This is my first night off (NOC shift worker) and DS suddenly woke up screaming. It took at least 30 minutes to calm him down and get him back to sleep. DH said he has done this a few times before when I was at work but not as bad as tonight. Would that be a night terror? I know babies dream, but I didn’t think they would be having nightmares this young I can hear him whimpering over the monitor right now…

Advertisement

Old 05-23-2011, 03:08 AM   #2
LittleABC
Registered Users
Formerly: greenfamily9200
seller
seller

My Mood:
Oh momma my thoughts and prayers are with you. My DD had them for almost a year. The dr said they was nothing we could do. I hope he gets over them soon. Love your way.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:42 AM   #3
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 11mo with night terrors?

night terrors are pretty common - both my girls have them.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:20 AM   #4
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD started w/ night terrors around that age (she's just a few months older than your DS). She only gets them when her schedule is off & she's sleep deprived/going to bed extra late. And she gets them at the swame time, regardless of what time she goes to bed. Keeping her to a regular sleep-wake schedule is integral to keeping the terrors at bay; if we know she's going to bed late for whatever reason, we have pretty good luck w/ just barely rousing her before we go to bed--not fully waking her, just rubbing her back & vaguely rousing her. It seems to be enough to change the sleep cycle & keep her from having terrors. Keep an eye on your DS's sleep (or have your DH do it, obviously), identify any patterns: does it only happen when he's up after 8? 9? 10? Does he have a pattern to when he has terrors? All those things can help...& you want to do whatever you can; DD had an episode about a week ago & they're getting more severe; this one involved kicking & swinging at us .
Old 05-23-2011, 06:13 AM   #5
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: danner
seller
seller

My Mood:

My daughter had a few at that age. It's very scary! For my daughter, it was only at that age that she had them and they've never come back. I hope it works out for you that way, too.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ds1 used to have night terrors every night. He wouldn't wake up (sometimes would have his eyes open but wouldn't be awake) and he'd be screaming. Last between 30 and 60 minutes. They do grow out of it.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote