Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
moteq
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Simply Thick Public Health Notification

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/S.../ucm256257.htm

I thought I'd share this, as our NICU put both of our 32-weekers on Simply Thick. I'm wondering whether this might explain DS's mystery complications.

Advertisement

Old 05-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
ransom
Registered Users

Re: Simply Thick Public Health Notification

thanks mama!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
katedanzer
Good things come in small packages
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

That's horrible My now 5-year old has short bowel syndrome resulting from NEC. His resection was very early in his NICU stay, but was on simply thick + ebm when he attempted oral feeds. He went to NPO at 4 months, so maybe had a total of 3 dozen bottles but certainly didn't need anything to contribute to his digestion issues
Old 05-31-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
moteq
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katedanzer View Post
That's horrible My now 5-year old has short bowel syndrome resulting from NEC. His resection was very early in his NICU stay, but was on simply thick + ebm when he attempted oral feeds. He went to NPO at 4 months, so maybe had a total of 3 dozen bottles but certainly didn't need anything to contribute to his digestion issues
If you think it might related, the doctors involved in his care can report the case to MedWatch.

I only found out because DH is a doc, and a colleague saw the FDA's email alert remembered that we had used it.

I summarized our story here: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...2&postcount=90

DS is doing well these days, though still really skinny and on a high-calorie elemental formula, plus some solids (some purees and some BLW). We don't give him dairy, so to get the calories I've been pushing a lot of avocado. We also introduced egg yolks a few weeks ago, but he's not interested.

Though we have a few months before doing a dairy sensitivity test, the time he was accidentally fed from his sister's bottle (about 1 ounce of generic milk-based formula), it didn't go well. A few hours later his spit-up was tinged green with bile.

We're seeing the GI doc next week, and I'm hoping he'll do a medwatch report.