Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
anahrose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Water breaking ?

Is it urgent for you to get to the hospital as soon as your water breaks? I know they told us this when we took birthing classes. I only ask because my water has broken twice at home and then I ended up in the hospital for hours. I wondered if I could labor at home for a while if it happens again or do I need to get to the hospital ASAP for fear of infection? I also forget how far contractions need to be to get to the hospital. TIA!

Advertisement

Old 05-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
almostcrunchy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Water breaking ?

I would say it depends on how far apart your ctx are after your water breaks. I would say you could labor at home if your ctx were still 7+ min apart though. GOOD LUCK!!
Old 05-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
jessica_m_b3
Registered Users
seller

They normally worry about infection 24 hours after your water breaks so I would wait to go in until your contractions are 4-1-1 and definitely before the 24 hour mark!
Old 05-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I say it depend son if your GBS positive. I was GBS positive so I need to get there fast to get the antibiotics started. I labored for 13 1/2 hrs from time of rupture til she was born..including pushing in that number. I don't think that is long for a first birth. I did get stuck at 3 cm, pit running in me for 6 hours. Epidural and went from that to complete in just under 2 hrs. I think I needed to relax .
I would go in when they are 5 min apart though if not a bit sooner if I wasn't GBS positive.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It really depends. My water broke around 1:15am, we left for the hospital at 2am, arrived at 2:25-30ish and the babies (twins) were born at 2:38 and 2:46. Literally JUST made it!
My friend thought her water broke in the middle of the night, around 2-3am? I told her to go back to bed if she could and the next day I took her to the MW to see if her water broke or not... it was broken for sure, but she just never started contracting. Started her on Pitocin after 12hrs of no labor and she delivered about 5hrs later.
Everyone is different and you have to just trust what you feel your body is doing. If you don't feel contractions I would stay home, stay hydrated and comfortable. But if you're contracting like crazy you might wanna head in.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:

As long as you monitor your temperature (if you have a fever, it's a sign of infection), and do not insert anything of any kind inside of your vagina, the risk for infection is extremely minimal. It's actually higher once you go in and they start with the exams, and insertion of their fingers, pushing bacteria up inside of you. So no, heading in immediately isn't urgent. I plan on laboring at home for a while as well, before heading in.

It also gives you a bit of an advantage if your hospital has, say, an "18hrs after water breaks we want to induce you" type policy, as they won't know that your water broke 15 hrs ago unless you tell them that. So it can actually give you some leniency if you don't have a mama-friendly hospital, kwim?

My midwives and hospital are perfectly comfortable with me going 72hrs after my water breaks (at home if I prefer), before they'd even get a bit concerned, as long as my temp is monitored and things look good.

However, if your water breaks and it looks brown/black or something is off like that, I would definitely go in. It could be meconium and needs to be checked out. But as long as everything looks good, labor away mama

Last edited by Hillargh; 05-23-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:33 PM   #7
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Providing the water is clear (not green, brown, ect.. meaning baby had passed meconium), there is no rush. There is a slighter since of urgency if water is meconium stained because this COULD (certainly not always, or even most of the time) signify stress on the baby, and baby may need close monitoring.

Many midwives are comfortable letting a mom go 36, 48, 60, or more hours with ruptured membranes providing both mom and baby look good.

The media and other sources make it a common misnomer that "oh my gosh my water broke **insert massive contraction here** baby is coming NOW get me to the hospital". In all actuality - it most of the time doesn't happen that way!
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #8
apurkeyp
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella08 View Post
Providing the water is clear (not green, brown, ect.. meaning baby had passed meconium), there is no rush. There is a slighter since of urgency if water is meconium stained because this COULD (certainly not always, or even most of the time) signify stress on the baby, and baby may need close monitoring.

Many midwives are comfortable letting a mom go 36, 48, 60, or more hours with ruptured membranes providing both mom and baby look good.

The media and other sources make it a common misnomer that "oh my gosh my water broke **insert massive contraction here** baby is coming NOW get me to the hospital". In all actuality - it most of the time doesn't happen that way!
The bolded is wrong. I will rephrase for clarification.

"Many CPMs are willing to let a mom go however long she wants after her water breaks because they believe everything is a variation of normal and science based medicine means nothing".

There. That is better.

OP, I would wait for a consistent contraction pattern after your water breaks, as long as you are not GBS positive. I wouldn't wait at home for more than 12 hours after your water breaks. Best of luck.
apurkeyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurkeyp View Post
The bolded is wrong. I will rephrase for clarification.

"Many CPMs are willing to let a mom go however long she wants after her water breaks because they believe everything is a variation of normal and science based medicine means nothing".

There. That is better.

OP, I would wait for a consistent contraction pattern after your water breaks, as long as you are not GBS positive. I wouldn't wait at home for more than 12 hours after your water breaks. Best of luck.

Just to clarify one thing - I actually know some CNMs who don't care about the typical "24 hour rule". I know personally of a CNM who has let patients go 48+ hours with ruptured membranes while keeping a close eye on mom and baby (monitoring mom's temp and fetal heart tones) before mom even got into a strong contraction pattern.
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #10
apurkeyp
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella08 View Post
Just to clarify one thing - I actually know some CNMs who don't care about the typical "24 hour rule". I know personally of a CNM who has let patients go 48+ hours with ruptured membranes while keeping a close eye on mom and baby (monitoring mom's temp and fetal heart tones) before mom even got into a strong contraction pattern.
Let me clarify your statement above. The CNM, who works in a hospital where monitoring a baby and mother can be done readily and easily, will allow some mothers to go longer with ruptured membranes.

OP, it is best to find out your providers standard of care when water breaks prior to labor and ask all your questions in advance so there are no surprises when the big day arrives. Best of luck mama!
apurkeyp is offline   Reply With Quote