Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-24-2011, 12:21 AM   #1
Registered Users
EBF and missed periods?

Hi all!

I'm not sure whether to be concerned or not and figured I'd ask here as some of you are much more knowledgeable than me on this. My DD was born in August and I've been EBFing since then. My period came back in November but skipped December. Then was on time to the day January-April. I'm now 10 days late for May. I've taken two pregnancy tests (one last week and one today) and both were negative.

Is it normal to skip some months when you are still breastfeeding? Is this something I should contact my OB about? I feel totally normal. I found out I was pregnant with DD when I was only 4 weeks along and was sick and feeling just overall crappy right from the get go. But I know each pregnancy can be different.

Thanks in advance!

SAHM to Chloe Virginia born 8/10/10
lovetamarav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:25 AM   #2
Registered Users
I had really wonky cycles when BFing; they were 65 day cycles at first and gradually got more regular.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: EBF and missed periods?

I agree with anna, after both my kids my periods came back after many months and would then be every other month untill they became regular again after a yr. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you do suspect you could be pregnant.
Mommy to "Ems" (9/07) & "Rems" (7/09)
angely_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:
I'm having this same problem. I was regular the first 3 months and now I'm more than a week late. I finally caved and bought a hpt today. It's negative which at this point is a very good thing I'm going to chalk it up to bf. My LO is teething and has been very nursey so i figure that's what it is.
~Elizabeth RN~
Proud Mama to
Hannah (5/98), Parker(3/01), Sofia (7/03) and Lily(10/10)
Happy to be again after a bit of a break

Last edited by eliz7; 05-24-2011 at 09:42 AM.
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
Registered Users
I saw this and had to post. I have had irregular periods at times while ebfing. But I just wanted to share, not trying to scare you.

I had been very regular for 3-4 months in a row, then in feb I was a week late. I took 2 hpt, both bfn. I even went to the er one night bc I was having severe abd pain (almost as bad as labor) and they did a pg test (urine) and it was a bfn. The dr told me I was just having horrible pms for a late period. So AF came I thought, but was just spotting for a few days. At that point I had a gut feeling that I should take another hpt, but I figured that I was crazy and just had a light period. Fast forward 5 weeks, AF is late again, this time I got a bfp. Went to the dr and had a dating u/s, I was a whole month farther then I thought! appeatantly I got 3 false neg, and I bet if I would have listened to my gut I would have found out a lot sooner. I guess I'm just saying listen to your gut, and you might consider taking another test if AF hasn't started in a week or so.
Chelsea SAHM to ASD Nate 1-07, preemie peanut Emma Lynn 7-08, Clara Elizabeth 2-10 and Jonathan Connor 10-11 Wife to highschool sweetheart Z
ChelseaGirl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
Registered Users
I had 1 1/2 periods (one hardly counts, just small spotting) right when I went back to work and haven't had one for 3 months. I'm definitely not pregnant. HTH!
Sarah Beth - Mama to Charlie (Charlotte) born 1/12/11 and wife to Jeffery, computer geek extraordinaire. Lover of succulent gardens, live plant aquariums, reading, nature, sunshine, emergency veterinary medicine, and Homer, the best dog in the world.
S4r4h is offline   Reply With Quote