Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-20-2011, 05:17 AM   #1
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Do all breastfeeding moms pump and freeze?

I am really torn about pumping and freezing and a bit confused.

I understand that the nutritional value changes, so milk you pump now will not be good for a baby down the line right?

I understand working moms pumping and freezing but what about sahm. Is there any sense in it?

Do you just pump and freeze less. And would a hand pump be enough?

I am getting to the end of the time my health insurance will pay for my pump. SO I could pump away now, but I do not think I would go through that much milk since DS is home with me.

I am really confused.

Advertisement

Old 05-20-2011, 05:40 AM   #2
amhuerta
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do all breastfeeding moms pump and freeze?

Hi. I only pumped for one event. I went to my sister's wedding in mexico for 2 days. My son was 8 months. Other than that never pumped. I hated it and my son didn't like the bottle anyways. He is almost 16 months now. When he got older he ate less frequently, so if I needed to get out for a couple of hours, I just made sure he ate before I left. I'm also a SAHM. I think it is each mother's decision. I've done just fine without a freezer supply.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:59 AM   #3
jessc82
Registered Users
seller

DS1- I pumped during my 3 month maternity leave to build a stash for when I went back to wrk.

DS2- pumped only in the beginning to relieve engorgement (was a sahm)

DD- Pumping now and freezing bc dd seems to have a MSPI and is on formula while I get everything out of my system. I:m freezing in hopes that she'll outgrow it.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:01 AM   #4
Len27
Registered Users
seller

I have a good size freezer supply right now only because DS had a double ear infection and basically went on an 8 day feeding strike, it was awful. So the freezer is fully stocked because I was pumping for my own sake during that time.

Normally I might keep 2-3 bags in the freezer for the odd few hours out or to mix with cereal, but there are lots of times when the freezer is empty. Breastmilk stays good in the fridge for quite a while, so you could definitely get away with a handpump and just have a bit of milk in the fridge if you know you're going out.

DS will likely not get through our freezer stash at all, I am going to end up pulling it out to mix with cereal or something.
Len27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:21 AM   #5
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think I've only ever pumped to help engorgement issues. When DD was first born I pumped to get rid of the engorgement - would give her that little bit then latch her on - it was the only way I could get her to nurse for the first two weeks.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:21 AM   #6
s2grace
Registered Users
seller

I am a SAHM and I pumped quite a bit because I wanted the option of leaving if something came up. I try to do as the PP said, feed him before I go but this weekend we have the chance to go out of town for the night (our first time- DS is almost 9 months) so I have enough milk for him with no worries) I also like to have it for food/cereal etc. He won't go through all of it. Actually he was taking a bottle well but we went about 8 weeks without having him take one and now he's not interested so we'll see how this weekend goes.

If you don't see a need, I wouldn't worry. I like knowing there is backup just in case.
s2grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:26 AM   #7
mpfanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a different situation bc I am EPing and have frozen a total of 5500 oz, but if I were you, I would try to pump and freeze a few day's worth of feedings just in case. You never know when you might have an emergency or have to take a medication and pump and dump. (FTR, I have only had to use ~20 oz of our frozen. I've donated the rest.)

The nutritional value does change, so you can keep it for a few months, and then pump another emergency stash and donate the old. I will say that one bottle out of the day of "older" milk isn't going to hurt anything. I think it would a bad situation if every feeding was from 3 months ago KWIM? Still better than formula though...

A hand pump should work. Pump it up Mama!
mpfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:26 AM   #8
Lilysmom10
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenajean1 View Post
I understand that the nutritional value changes, so milk you pump now will not be good for a baby down the line right?
Strictly speaking that's not correct. The nutritional values do shift a bit as the baby grows and freezing the milk reduces some of the beneficial substances that are present, but milk pumped a while ago and frozen certainly isn't "not good" for the baby. I would hate for a mom to throw away her freezer stash because she thought her milk wasn't nutritionally appropriate for her baby anymore.

I'm a WOHM and recently in my deep freeze I discovered some milk that I pumped almost 6 months ago. I thawed it and gave her one bottle a day to use it up (she gets 3 bottles per day at daycare and is breastfed when we're together). Most of the milk that DD gets is refrigerated and is fed the day after it's pumped, and I figure that a few bottles per week of "old" frozen milk aren't going to affect her nutritional balance too much. I usually give frozen milk one day per week to rotate through the freezer stash but that's it.

However if you have no plans to be away from baby or can pump/hand express a bottle or two in the event that you do need to be away from time to time, I don't see a reason to have a double electric pump. If insurance pays for it I'd get one (it would be helpful if you ever deal with a nursing strike) but there's no real reason you need to use it regularly.

It seems like the big pump manufacturers now have marketing strategies where every expectant mother is told that she needs a pump. I was in Babies R Us recently and overheard an employee telling an expectant mother that she should bring her pump to the hospital and start pumping right after delivery (among other atrocious breastfeeding advice - I did interrupt and politely provided better information to this mom-to-be)! My LC said that in some cases it's all she can do to stop SAHMs from pumping daily because they think they're supposed to.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:27 AM   #9
CWHmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm a sahm and I never pump. It means I'm tied to the kids for a good 6-8 months, but I'm ok with that.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
Old 05-20-2011, 06:30 AM   #10
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

OK, I was contamplating paying 75 a month in rental fees for an electric. So if I can get by on a hand pump I will just do that.

I am thinking if I hand pump just a few minutes after feeding it would give me maybe a bottle a day or every few days to freeze.