Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #11
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

I took it with my second on my due date. It gave me horrible diarrhea and u still didn't go into labor for another week! And it was disgusting! I wouldn't do it again. Like pp said the meconium reason ( which I didn't know when I took it)

Advertisement

Old 05-27-2011, 08:09 AM   #12
ma-meem
Registered Users
Formerly: ecoMama2b
seller

Re: Advice? To try castor oil or not?!

I tried it with ds#2 at 39 weeks and NOTHING.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #13
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I recommend against it.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #14
ChelseaGirl7
Registered Users

I would probably try it, but I thought you were only supposed to do like 2 Tbsp. And you have to make sure that you walk a ton after you take it.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:08 PM   #15
crunch!910
Registered Users

I wouldn't use it. I do not think it actually works, and it can cause your baby to pass meconium (which for some doctors put you at high risk and then they will force you into a csection).

ETA: AND if castor oil is NOT successful and you go ahead with the induction, induction makes it SO much more likely for your baby to become distressed, and it is when your baby is distressed that it is most likely to aspirate the meconium.

My advice? To let your baby come when he or she is ready. Wait it out until you reach 42 weeks.

Last edited by crunch!910; 05-27-2011 at 04:11 PM.
crunch!910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #16
kelseyjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think that castor oil causing the baby to have meconium in your fluid has been shown to be false. You might want to do a search on that first. I used it with both of my babies when I was overdue and I went into labor within days of using it. I don't think it works if your body isn't ready. For me I think it just started the process. Good luck.
kelseyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #17
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I personally wouldn't do anything that drastic until I reached 42 weeks complete.

That being said -

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelseyjoy View Post
I think that castor oil causing the baby to have meconium in your fluid has been shown to be false. You might want to do a search on that first. I used it with both of my babies when I was overdue and I went into labor within days of using it. I don't think it works if your body isn't ready. For me I think it just started the process. Good luck.

This is correct. http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/coMec.html

It isn't the castor oil that can sometimes lead to the baby passing mecoium, it is the possibility (albeit small risk) of hyperstiumlation of the uterus, resulting in fetal distress, resulting in meconium.
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #18
A&M'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks girls. I don't think I'll end up doing it because I always have that worried mind set of "what if" but I do still feel the need to get induced even though I am 41 weeks. I work full time and I'm the only person in my house hold working because my dh is going to college and I don't have the " luxury" of getting very much time off and it's really really important to me to get to spend as much time with my new baby as I can. And I already started my short little maternity leave... so it's ok. Everything will be great I'm sure and I'll have a baby atleast in a few days. Wish I wouldn't have started my leave already but I just thought she would have been here by now and working on my feet all day was starting to become hard. But like I said it will all work out!
A&M'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:48 AM   #19
kelseyjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The days you are overdue are the hardest! Good luck! I hope you go on your own. I hope everyone is leaving you alone too. I kept getting phone calls asking if the baby was here yet and that drove me CRAZY!
kelseyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #20
nursekatie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M'smommy View Post
Thanks girls. I don't think I'll end up doing it because I always have that worried mind set of "what if" but I do still feel the need to get induced even though I am 41 weeks. I work full time and I'm the only person in my house hold working because my dh is going to college and I don't have the " luxury" of getting very much time off and it's really really important to me to get to spend as much time with my new baby as I can. And I already started my short little maternity leave... so it's ok. Everything will be great I'm sure and I'll have a baby atleast in a few days. Wish I wouldn't have started my leave already but I just thought she would have been here by now and working on my feet all day was starting to become hard. But like I said it will all work out!
I hear you. I'm not overdue yet, but I had my DD at 37 weeks and all 3 of my midwives thought that I would have this baby earlier or around 37 weeks. Here I am 2 weeks later still pregnant. My maternity leave doesn't start until my due date (June 1, 2011), but DH is gone all of this coming week for work training. He had this last week off and he has the week following his training off. I bet baby will show next week when DH is gone. I do have some help, but it will basically mean me being her alone with the new baby and DD being shipped all over the place. So I'm not going to have a lot of support and I'm not going to have my daughter around much. I honestly hope to go overdue now, so that we don't have to worry about that.