Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
angel95annie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ammonia stink + Diaper rash

Anyone ever deal with this problem?

I have these two odds against me:
*a toddler boy (really concentrated pee)
*really hard water

And have been fighting ammonia stink for 2 months now. I thought I found the solution with Crunchy Clean hard rock. I think what finally kicked the smell was stripping then using more Borax. WELL, then my son got a yeast infection and he cried every time he wore cloth (even pockets with stay dry against his skin) so I used sposies till his skin cleared up.

I have a 5 month old girl and when only she used the dipes, there was no ammonia.

Then, david's skin cleared up and I put him back in cloth and not 24 hrs later, he is back to being broken out and the ammonia stink is atrocious!!

Any ideas on ways to help him stay in cloth without breaking out in a rash?

Advertisement

Bloggin' bout my crazy life at Mama Dweeb!
angel95annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
Doula Amanda
Registered Users
seller

Re: Ammonia stink + Diaper rash

Im having the exact same problem!!
Amanda (30), dedicated wife to hubby Chris <3 Homeschooling momma to Alex 16, Roonie 11, CJ 9, Ally 7, Logan 5, Collin 3, and Nephi 1. We CD, Anti-Vax, NO CIRC, Bed Share, ERF, Extended Breast Feeding, clean eating, etc...
Doula Amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
mel281
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried Tide? I had ammonia problems too and it was the only thing that really worked and I haven't had any problems since (6 months later).
mel281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
angel95annie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel281 View Post
Have you tried Tide? I had ammonia problems too and it was the only thing that really worked and I haven't had any problems since (6 months later).
I used Tide for almost a good year and never had ammonia stink. Then, for some odd reason, got ammonia stink. That is when my problems all started.

First I stripped.

Then I tried to use Rockin' Green Hard Rock. Total fail. I washed my dipes in hard rock with an entire bag AND the funk rock all for "stripping purposes" (seriously washed "clean" diapers 10x in hard and funk rock) and still had bad ammonia.

Finally, the crunchy clean + borax did the trick.

But then DS got his rash.....and ammonia came back.....and now even in his dipes for less than a day ammonia + rash appears. I might have to go back to Tide. He didn't break out with that.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:44 PM   #5
angel95annie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

totally bumping cause I need help

Old 05-27-2011, 05:40 AM   #6
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have to do a full cycle with no detergent after a full cycle with either All Free or liquid Tide. The extra rinsing to get the detergent out makes a big difference. I have to make sure I used enough detergent but also that I rinsed it all out.

We used to use only natural fibers but suddenly last fall, ds became very irritated by anything not stay dry. If I put him in a non stay dry diaper right now, he'd have a rash in no time flat. We had to switch to all stay dry fabrics.
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:03 PM   #7
angel95annie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssand23 View Post
I have to do a full cycle with no detergent after a full cycle with either All Free or liquid Tide. The extra rinsing to get the detergent out makes a big difference. I have to make sure I used enough detergent but also that I rinsed it all out.

We used to use only natural fibers but suddenly last fall, ds became very irritated by anything not stay dry. If I put him in a non stay dry diaper right now, he'd have a rash in no time flat. We had to switch to all stay dry fabrics.
See, I am confused because all I use is stay dry fabrics. No matter how quickly I change him, he breaks out and the diapers reek of ammonia

I guess I'm using sposies on him for the next year and cloth on his sister

Old 05-28-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
rkw
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had this problem and we use mostly bgos 3.0 and bg organics. I normally use allen's liquid detergent and found out I was not using enough. I also try to use bleach once a month or so as cotton babies website suggests. When we have bad rash issues I use prefolds and covers with pinxav since it is not cd friendly but it comes out of the prefolds. I have also used all free and clear he on the diapers and that seems to work as well. It can be frustrating to figure out what is wrong. I have heard of people adding calgon to the cycle sometime but I have not done this. Good luck.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:27 PM   #9
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I second the bleach - kill that nasty bacteria.

I put bleach in with just my inserts and wash. Then I wash the rest of my diapers after that (all of them together). Then one more rinse to get the soap and bleach all off.

Ammonia = not clean enough

Just a conspiracy theory - LOL - But did the Tide stop working when you used the new Ultra Tide? Because a lot of mamas have been complaining that the new Ultra (powder) isn't cutting it for their diapers.

Last thing:

I never had ammonia until my kids reached about 9ish months to 12 months. In fact my two older ones were in cloth pull-ups overnight with burning ammonia - and the baby had no issues and no stink. So the pee definitely changes too.

Last edited by fish3737; 05-28-2011 at 06:31 PM.
fish3737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #10
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The third the bleech. We use in every load for 6 yrs now with reg detergent and lots of hot water, never had any odor at all. With hard water you will also have to use more that average amnt of detergent. You really should consider the bleech with the yeast issue as well. Hope this helps and best of luch to your lo. Also, calgon will soften the water.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote