Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-27-2011, 11:17 PM   #11
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: My dad forgot what it's like to have kids

I'm sorry he's so out of touch. His responses are actually pretty funny, as in they are so ridiculous it's amusing. My mother and MIL are like this. It's become a running joke to us.

Advertisement

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:13 AM   #12
lookatreestar
Registered Users

mine parents aren't quite as bad, but we go visit them and they decide to go out to dinner at like 8pm and stay out until 11pm and wonder why i suggest we could have gone earlier. or if we do go, why the kids are melting down

its crazy since it wasn't that long ago- my little sister is 18 for goodness sakes. ugh.

lookatreestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:13 AM   #13
lookatreestar
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
MY DAD IS THE SAME WAY! The weird thing is that he loves children and babies and spends as much time with them as possible, but he doesn't get the 24-hour responsibility aspect of it. And he also doesn't get pregnancy at all. He seriously cannot wrap his head around the fact that bodies change during pregnancy. I'm sorry I'm hijacking your thread, but this was a conversation I'd had with my father during my last pregnancy. (For backstory, he's a professional conspiracy theorist. Yes, that's a thing.):

Dad: Hey sweetie! Do you want to go to Dallas with me for the JFK convention? It's this weekend!

Me: Oh, thanks for the offer Dad, but I'm like, 32 weeks pregnant and can't really travel that far.

Dad: There are lots of hospitals along the way if you go into labor or something.

Me: No, it's not that. I just can't really sit in your van from New Orleans to Dallas when I'm this pregnant.

Dad: I'll put a mattress in the back of the van. You can lie down the whole time.

Me: ...um... no, that's okay. Besides, I'd have to use the bathroom several times along the way, and it's not like this would be a very pleasant journey.

Dad: I'll put a portable potty next to the mattress.

Me: Have fun at your convention, Dad!

lookatreestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:22 AM   #14
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe he was this way with you when you were little too, seeing he;s no longer with your Mom it may have drove her batty too.
So sorry he doesn't get it mama. My Dad couldn't figure out why I even wanted kids Like they are some disease or something, but then he hardly ever saw them.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:28 AM   #15
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
MY DAD IS THE SAME WAY! The weird thing is that he loves children and babies and spends as much time with them as possible, but he doesn't get the 24-hour responsibility aspect of it. And he also doesn't get pregnancy at all. He seriously cannot wrap his head around the fact that bodies change during pregnancy. I'm sorry I'm hijacking your thread, but this was a conversation I'd had with my father during my last pregnancy. (For backstory, he's a professional conspiracy theorist. Yes, that's a thing.):

Dad: Hey sweetie! Do you want to go to Dallas with me for the JFK convention? It's this weekend!

Me: Oh, thanks for the offer Dad, but I'm like, 32 weeks pregnant and can't really travel that far.

Dad: There are lots of hospitals along the way if you go into labor or something.

Me: No, it's not that. I just can't really sit in your van from New Orleans to Dallas when I'm this pregnant.

Dad: I'll put a mattress in the back of the van. You can lie down the whole time.

Me: ...um... no, that's okay. Besides, I'd have to use the bathroom several times along the way, and it's not like this would be a very pleasant journey.

Dad: I'll put a portable potty next to the mattress.

Me: Have fun at your convention, Dad!
LOL yah, my dad doesn't get pregnancy either. I got the line about there being several hospitals on the way (and a doctor next door to him) if I went into labor while I visited. He even suggested we put lots of pillows in the back of our SUV so I could lie down the whole way...he was trying to get me and hubby to come visit him while I was 41 weeks pregnant I went into labour that night and you can just guess what the first thing out of his mouth was..."I guess that means you can come visit this weekend after all! You can bring the baby."

The dumb thing is he's great and understanding towards everyone else's kids...yet mine behave much better

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:05 PM   #16
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by amzasmommy View Post
How about:

Thanks for the generous offer dad. Don't worry about the dh and the kids. Dh is used to the couch and we bring our own crate whenever we travel with the children.

That's funny. I sometimes think so forgot what it's like to have kids.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:28 PM   #17
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

He is just clueless. I'd reply with "Thanks for the offer, but I think we'd be more comfortable at a hotel with a pool."
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:34 PM   #18
purpledayz
Registered Users

My in laws were excited when I got taken off bed rest because they thought it meant we could go to Disney with them for the high school band weekend a month later. Walking into a doctor's office one week and him saying you are probably ok now does not mean it's time to march around in the heat. Disney was only 3 hours away at the time so we did wind up going for an afternoon with me in a wheelchair. Went to bed at 10pm and left the next morning. They thought it was weird that we didn't want to go to a couple of different parks. I had the baby the next weekend.

Then in December they went back for over a week (they have a timeshare in the winter) and wanted us to go for the whole thing. Ummm... Thomas was still eating every 2-3 hours then spitting up half his food and I was still EP'ing at the time. Not to mention we were in the process of moving! Seriously we packed up the truck on New Years eve.

Some people just don't understand and never will. The only thing we can do is laugh and hope they don't get too mad at us.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:12 AM   #19
CarolinaMama
Registered Users
seller

Sometimes you just have to be the mean mommy I am just now being a tad flexible about bedtime, like instead of 8pm I can push it till 8:45. I know I am a rebel Dinner time is ALWAYS early, which goes well with my dad but my sil and brother look at me weird. I just say "wait till you have kids" with a snarky smile on my face. oh and naptime is NEVER skipped. Ever.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:50 AM   #20
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

haha, yes, definitely frustrating!

I think a lot of people either forget what it's like, don't care what it's like, or just don't know what it's like (to have kids). Heck, even my own husband needs reminders that, um, we have a child. Some things are no longer practical, and I like for him to take naps and go to bed by a certain time.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?

Last edited by wordbox; 06-01-2011 at 07:51 AM.
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote