Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #21
SkyeSpade
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordbox
haha, yes, definitely frustrating!

I think a lot of people either forget what it's like, don't care what it's like, or just don't know what it's like (to have kids). Heck, even my own husband needs reminders that, um, we have a child. Some things are no longer practical, and I like for him to take naps and go to bed by a certain time.
This. When we go visit DH's family, DS gets too excited to sleep. So our 16 month old will be up until midnight, cranky as ask get out, because DH wants to get as much time in as he can (completely understandable) and DS just won't relax. Eventually I have to start pushing him out the door!

Advertisement

Old 06-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #22
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Re: My dad forgot what it's like to have kids

My DH's dad is much the same way. He never really had anything to do with his own 4 kids when they were growing up so I always figure he really doesn't know what it's like to have kids!
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:27 AM   #23
whirlwindwoman
Banned

My Mood:

His email sounds really controlling. I don't think I'd even glorify it with a response. Hugs, good luck with the job, I'm sure you'll stay somewhere much more pleasant.
whirlwindwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:26 AM   #24
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
I lol'd at the message. Was he involved in your childhood or did he have a brain fart? I have a feeling my dad would be that way if my sibs would move out permanantly with their kids. He doesn't get to forget because they keep having more babies & moving home.
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:19 AM   #25
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hugs Mamas!!

Fortunately our families are pretty understanding & we've done a decent job of putting our foot down enough that they know, he's our kid we'll do things our way & it isn't a reflection of their parenting.

(My Dad got his feeling MAJORLY hurt when someone said something "wrong" about how we only give DS certain things & limit his sweets/soda (NEVER)/tea, etc.....and my Dad assumed that it meant we thought HE did a bad job parenting us. Not so, just more informed now & trying to make healthy choices for our LO.)

TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #26
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
He is just clueless. I'd reply with "Thanks for the offer, but I think we'd be more comfortable at a hotel with a pool."
This. I don't think he was being mean. He's just clueless and unless you are planning a sit-down and discussing things together in a good environment for sharing, leave it be. Just thank him and move on.

My FIL and his wife love for us to visit and we love visiting them, but after our last visit we have decided that we will always stay at the local suites hotel a half mile from their home. They are the chatchki (sp?) types. They have a ton of little decorative and breakable items all over their home and even though they clear some things away, there is still a ton of stuff that the LOs can't touch. We despise spending our whole vacation telling DS not touch something every 5 seconds.

So rather than making them conform to our needs, we'll take care of our own and just apologize for not partaking of their hospitality. We'll visit but not stay at their home.

Good luck
Old 06-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #27
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We always stay at a hotel with my in-laws too. They have a million animals, and a ton of things the kids get into. It is nice to go to the hotel and be able to let my guard down at night. Plus, I don't relax when I stay in other people's homes.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote