Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-28-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
dannic
Registered Users

cd and camping 7 days...

Okay, so we're going on a 7 day camping trip...and I'm looking into the flip disposable inserts because I have some flips. So ???'s are:

How many covers/ inserts? (11 month baby by that time)
Do the flip inserts work well? Seems like I recall some negative feedback...
Will the inserts fit in econobum, wee huggers, and blueberry covers as well?
Can the inserts be tossed in camp ground toilets?

I'd love your tips for trips!
Anything I should know/be aware of?

Thanks so much!

Advertisement

dannic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
dannic
Registered Users

Re: cd and camping 7 days...

Anyone??? Help me not use sposies!
dannic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
rkw
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have used the disposible flip inserts in an econobum cover whe I was traveling over spring break. I do not know if they are ok for camping toilets. I put them in a bag and dumped them in the trash on the way home when we stopped for a break during our 12 hour trip. They were absorbant enough but they did shift some. I normally use bgos, and bg elementals so this was a new thing for me. I was not camping but staying at the beach in a condo so all I can say is that I did like the disposible flip inserts in the econobum cover and will use them again the next time we travel for vacation.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
epaashaus
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think you are supposed to put ANYTHING in a pit toilet other than toilet paper. Even flushable one are not supposed to go in those toilets. They take forever to break down, they mess up the balance in the poo pile, or they have to pump those things out (depending on the type of pit toilet.)

We just went backpacking for 3 days with out 11 month old and used our pocket diapers in this way which worked really well and seemed like it would work for a long term trip. I took enough strips of thin fleece to have one for each diaper change to lay on top of the pocket diaper. This way, poo never got on the diaper. Every day, I washed out the pockets and hung them to dry on my pack. I also washed the fleece strips that had no poo on them. All the fleece with poo, and all the inserts went into a dry bag. If I was out for a really long time I would have washed the inserts out too and hung them to dry. The pockets dried very quickly and we only needed 3 or 4 of them. Hope this helps! You CAN get out in the backcountry with a cloth diapered baby and carry less stuff!
epaashaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
northcountrymamma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm planning a 7 day trip in a month and will be using our 10 pockets, 2 flips and I'll bring 2 wool covers and a handful of fitteds for nights. And I'm bringing a stash of flats/prefolds (18). I know this is a lot but I'm hoping to not have to use any spouses at all.
northcountrymamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:49 PM   #6
thermophile
Registered Users

Please don't put any type of insert in a pit toilet. Cleaning out one of those is really gross and expensive.
I do laundry only once a week and use 35-50 diapers depending on how much naked time he does and whether he feels like pooping once every few days or 4 times in a single day. We use mostly prefolds with fleece or wool and some pockets for going out.
thermophile is offline   Reply With Quote