Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-28-2011, 11:28 PM   #21
momof4kidz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ear Piercing

My girls don't even know the earrings are there! And getting them done didn't really bug them either. I hated waiting till I was older and dealing with infections and having to get them redone because the beautician messed them up. Most of that happened though because i had a tomboy mom who knew nothing about piercing or that one could develop allergies to certain kinds of metal. But I can understand the argument for waiting too. Either way, don't be like my mom and not do your research on places to go and aftercare. And keep an eye on her ears from time to time to make sure everything's okay.

Advertisement

Old 05-29-2011, 05:32 AM   #22
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by megkmc View Post
So I don't have to worry about being the one to decide, it will be uncles problem
I love that! Just tell them Uncle said no, and he's the professional!
Old 05-29-2011, 07:26 AM   #23
aunt_freya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Not only do infants not remember it, they have that super-speedy healing power!

And they leave their hands off of them because they don't have enough dexterity to get their hands on their ears.

And it's wicked cute:

These are from 6 mo. photos...she had her ears pierced after her second tetanus vacc. at 4 mo...

Of course, let's not forget the comparison to circumcision--only you can weigh your desires to have it done against the everlasting trauma it will cause.

BTW: I had my daughter's ears pierced but I'm anti-circ. Because I'm an enigma shrouded in mystery.

This is one of those to each her own kind of debates, I think!
Old 05-29-2011, 07:30 AM   #24
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyEllie View Post
really? this turned into a long debate? I wouldn't think it would have turned into "one of those" topics. Anyways I missed it and I think when they want to do it I'll take them. Getting your ears pierced doesn't hurt but then again, I'm not an infant so I don't know how it feels for an infant but I have seen one get her ears pierced and she screamed so why put your kid through that just because it's cute? I dunno, my opinion
its not about the pain for me. it' about modifying someone's body without their permission. you shouldn't use a gun to pierce ears. only hollow needles should be used. I dont know of any piercing parlors that allow children in the door. so it would seem to me that babies and small children are all having their ears done improperly. even my friend's dd who had hers done at age 4 are uneven.

i dont find it cute at all and quite honestly when I see that it's done I really lose a lot of respect for the parent.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend

Last edited by KaleidoscopeEyes; 05-29-2011 at 07:31 AM.
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:48 AM   #25
momofdestructobaby
Registered Users
seller

I personally think that it looks tacky.
momofdestructobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:50 AM   #26
aunt_freya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
its not about the pain for me. it' about modifying someone's body without their permission. you shouldn't use a gun to pierce ears. only hollow needles should be used. I dont know of any piercing parlors that allow children in the door. so it would seem to me that babies and small children are all having their ears done improperly. even my friend's dd who had hers done at age 4 are uneven.

i dont find it cute at all and quite honestly when I see that it's done I really lose a lot of respect for the parent.
Hey, I don't find that insulting at all!

I guess it's turned into one of "those" threads after all.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:58 AM   #27
aunt_freya
Registered Users

My Mood:

I guess part of it has to do with where you live... I'm from NJ & it's pretty darn common--particularly among certain cultural groups. I think I got my first query from a NJ native as to when I was getting her ears pierced when DD was about 8 weeks old.

Where I live now, it's neither common nor uncommon. I've gotten lots of supportive comments, like, oh, good for you getting them done early & quite a few "surprised" comments, like, oh, her ears are pierced. (maybe those people know that if you can't say something nice, you shouldn't really say anything).

Now that she's over a year, comments just tend to be how cute they are!

Last edited by aunt_freya; 05-29-2011 at 07:59 AM. Reason: missing a helping verb!
aunt_freya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:07 AM   #28
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you gave your opinion and I gave mine.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:24 AM   #29
kilahree
Registered Users

We had DD's done at 5 weeks old. Her pediatrician did them in the office (she usually will not pierce ears until the babe is at least 6 mos). It's a cultural thing for DH - his sister's all had theirs done as they were coming out of the birth canal practically. I had mine does an infant as well. My sister and friends who had them done when they asked all had bad infections. Obviously that is not what happens to everyone, but that was my experience, so I was okay with it. DD has never had an issue with hers, and have had them for 13 mos now.

(And yeah, I'm one of those crazies who adamantly does not believe in circing but does believe in ear-piercing. Oh well.)
kilahree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:38 AM   #30
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Her body, her choice. DD2 can get hers done when she's older and wants them done. DD1 got hers done when she was 6.5 and we made a mother-daughter afternoon out of it. I had them done at Claire's, because I didn't know how bad piercing guns are. So in the future, we will only go to a piercing place.

My SIL had her earring ripped out of her ear when she was 2 because it got caught on a blanket when she was playing. So even if babies heal faster/don't remember the pain, there are other risks. A girl I went to school with had a 'double earlobe' too because her earring got ripped out as a toddler.

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote